pixeltracker

American Idiot to close April 24th

American Idiot to close April 24th

wishiwerehere2
steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:48am

Not shocked. At all. Good run though. Hopefully Krystina and Chase get more time on. They're great.

rorschach37
#2American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:50am

I am sad, as this was my first Broadway show, but I'm glad to have seen it twice and thankful that it will have lasted a year on Broadway by the time it closes.

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#3American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:50am

I can't say I'm surprised, but they really should have just closed February 27 and saved themselves some money.

I wonder who will play St. Jimmy for the majority of March?

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#4American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:52am

Sad, but it has lasted much longer than I expected. I wonder if any of the Broadway Cast will be joining the tour?

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#5American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:54am

I was thinking about this show yesterday and what a respectable run it has had despite many low grossing and capacity weeks. I am definitely one of its fans and hope to make one last visit when Billie Joe returns.

rorschach37
#6American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 11:57am

I'd love it if any of the Broadway cast members were involved with the tour. They're all fantastic. Also, I have a feeling Billie will at least open the tour as St. Jimmy.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#7American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 12:06pm

Congratulations to the cast on a fantastic run. I'll definitely miss this show.

peachesr
#8American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:05pm

Really enjoyed the show and such a great, hard working cast. It's had a good run, probably better than a lot of people were expecting or were willing to give it credit for. Pleased Billie will be back to sign off too.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#9American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:06pm

They had a great run and im happy about that. I do hope to catch the show on sunday when i'm in the city

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#10American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:26pm

Long time coming, but sad to see it go.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

madlibrarian
#11American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:28pm

Bad timing, IMHO. If they had faced reality and closed already they could have cut their own losses... and something else could have booked the St. James for spring/summer, instead of (probably) leaving it empty all year.

beautywickedlover
#12American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:35pm

Not surprising. It suffered a huge drop last week. Justin Guarini can't catch a break.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:52pm

Well done to the cast and crew, great show, hope it does well on tour

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#14American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:17pm

Mad...Perhaps this is the theater that will welcome The Scottboro Boys back in time for the TONYS!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:31pm

What show would have booked the St. James, exactly?

It's not like there's a big musical waiting around for a theater at the moment.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#16American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:44pm

I feel sorry for all the fangurls of this show. No show to see, no stagedoor to stalk, I mean visit.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#17American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 3:49pm

I began to wonder if a closing was going to happen soon earlier this week after Dancap announced the show was coming to Toronto "direct from Broadway" but I figured it would stay on Broadway through the summer tourist season.

For the record I did not enjoy the show at all when I saw it in New York last June (just prior to the Tony Awards)but I am not one who says he is "happy" when a show I did not like is closing. I know it has many fans who will be devastated by the news.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

KirbyCat
#18American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 5:08pm

JRybka, you beat me to it!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#19American Idiot to close April 24th
Posted: 3/10/11 at 5:25pm

Why would they open The Scottsboro Boys at a larger theatre, when it couldn't sell out a slightly smaller one? I just looked, and according to IBDB, The Lyceum has 943 seats, while the St. James has 1710.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#20American Idiot to close April 24th/ Hopeful Tour Cast
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:42pm

If you could pick and choose Broadway cast members, either leads or understudies to make up the cast of the tour who would you choose?

Johnny: Van Hughes or Chase Peacock
Will: Michael Esper
Tunny: Stark Sands
Whatsername: Rebecca Naomi Jones or Krystina Alabado
Heather: Jeanna De Waal....maybe Libby Winters
Extraordinary Girl: Aspen Vincent or Krystina Alabado
St. Jimmy: Josh Kobak! I would have said bring Tony Vincent back, but he got bored of the role early and started walking through it last summer. Josh is a great St. Jimmy.

tourboi
#21American Idiot to close April 24th/ Hopeful Tour Cast
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:02pm

I didn't enjoy it, but have many friends involved, so sorry to see it close.

As for Dancap and "Direct from Broadway," that's not a literal term. Presenters use that all the time. Doesn't mean Dancap's the first one to get it (could be, I haven't seen the route).

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#22American Idiot to close April 24th/ Hopeful Tour Cast
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:20pm

It had a great run. I enjoyed the show and glad I got to experience it twice. Any idea if they will recoup before they end their run?

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#23American Idiot to close April 24th/ Hopeful Tour Cast
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:45pm

No way in hell Sands or Esper will do the tour.

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#24American Idiot to close April 24th/ Hopeful Tour Cast
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:54pm

I really enjoyed this show. I'm a longtime Green Day fan, so it was fun to be able to hear some of my favorite songs performed on a Broadway stage.The orchestrations were terrific, and the cast was so energetic. I'm glad I was able to see it a few times. Hopefully, I can revisit the show before it closes.

Videos