pixeltracker

Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging

#1Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 6:40am

What are the Broadway plays and musicals that have returned in essentially their original versions that people can think of? I mean basically the same direction, design, choreography... I don't mean the cases where a show closed, went on tour, and then briefly returned...

I actually can't think of any plays (though I would be thrilled if someone tried to recreated the Kazan staging of Williams' Streetcar, Cat or Sweet Bird, to give one example--even if many believe that ruins the point of theatre).

Musical wise a few spring immediately to mind.

West Side Story

Fiddler on the Roof (twice at least, it seems)

Cabaret (although the book was revised to add more blatant gay/bisexual elements to Cliff and the Kit Kat Club, Why Should I Wake Up replaced with Don't Go and I Don't Care Much added)

Sweet Charity (again with some changes--a new version of Bravest Individual, the movie version of the title tune, and cutting Charity's half sung Soliloquy, something I wish they'd put back in)

That's all that immediate comes to mind, although Gypsy may have been one too...

It's interesting that most of these revivals were, if not flops, disappointing runs--although I have to say I like the idea of later generations being able to see a close version of the original production (and would fly to NYC right now if someone did something similar to shows like Company, Follies...).

I've seen both the 80s revival of Sweet Charity (with Donna McKechnie in the lead), and Cabaret, and while I kinda get why they weren't hits (interesting both happened around the same time, 20 years after their originals), I also have to admit it's exciting to be able to get some idea of the brilliant 1960s stagings of these pieces, since they weren't filmed back then except a few numbers on TV shows. To see the "camera shutter" style set for Charity and how seamlessly a scene folds into another scene (which just makes the recent revival seem more lacking), or with Chorus Line to see Boris Aronson's original groundbreaking designs, Ron Fields' brilliant choreography (now kinda forgotten thanks to Fosse), and of course how much Cabaret changed over the years (though this 87 revivion seems to be where many of the small book changes for the Mendes revival came from)...

*edit* Damnit, I forgot about an obvious one--A Chorus Line.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
Jon
#2Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 8:36am

I think there were a couple of Hello Dolly revivals with Channing, using the original staging and designs.

What about the 1970-something My Fair Lady revival with Rex Harrison?

Chrranke Profile Photo
Chrranke
#3Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 9:12am

Les Misearables used the same sets and almost the same direction when it returned to Broadway a few years back.

Dollypop
#4Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 6:36pm

The revivals of HELLO, DOLLY! featured the same Oliver Smith sets as the original and most of the original Gower Champion staging. The costumes were new but based on Freddy Wittop's original designs (the "Sunday Clothes" costumes took on more of a neon glow). The Pearl Bailey revival had slightly different sets and the Harmonia Gardens seemed to be more wood paneled than the original. Bailey often created her own staging as the whim struck her.

The buzz around the incoming Patti LuPone revival has difficulties developing between Jerry Herman and director Jack O'Brien because O'Brien has ideas that veer far away from what Champion originally created. Herman feels that of all his shows, DOLLY should stay pretty close to the original.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/14/11 at 06:36 PM

#5Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 9:34pm

I forgot about Dolly--dumb as I saw the tour with Channing when I was a teen--umm mid 90s I think? But I didn't realize they had had a full on Broadway revival (I didn't think the Pearl Bailey production counted but I guess it does...) Was it just the tour playing a few dates on Broadway or an actual revival?

This list def would be longer if we included tours. I saw the Anniversary tour of Evita which had a so so cast, but was worth it for me to see Hal Prince's original staging. West Side Story had at least one tour based pretty much exactly on the original...

What do people think about this? I admit I kinda love the idea of being able to see, in a sense the original production again--and especially being a choreography fan it kinda annoys me when iconic routines that helped make the original show a hit (Turkey Lurkey Time, Rich Man's Frug, Steam Heat, all come quickly to mind) are re-done, when no one would redo the script or the music (OK, they often do make minor changes, but...). I certainly don't envy the choreographers who try to make their new versions erase the originals from people's heads (and in all three cases I just mentioned, they failed miserably...)

But I do understand the feel that a big part of thetare process is that it's not a permanent creation and changes, with new approaches. I guess I'd like a medium of both faithful and new take revivals being done. It's true that some "reconstruction" revivals are lifeless. Then again, does anyone actually think that the last revival of West Side Story, or Sweet Charity topped the original production? Then again as much as I think the original staging of Cabaret was brilliant and ground breaking, and hate how now it kinda has a reputation for being too safe, I admit I found the last revival at least as thrilling.

But if I ever win a billion dollars, first thing I'm gonna do, while we still have people like Hal Prince and Bob Avian living, is put together a full on revival of the original production of Follies.
Updated On: 4/8/11 at 09:34 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#6Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 9:42pm

I believe the late 1970s revival of Man of La Mancha with an older Richard Kiley used the same design and staging as the original Broadway run I believe.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Dollypop
#7Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/8/11 at 11:05pm

Okay, let me clear up the Pearl Bailey DOLLY! story:

The original run of HELLO, DOLLY! starred Carol Channing--you all know that. She was replaced by Ginger Rogers, Martha Raye and Betty Grable. Then David Merrick brought in a production of the show with Pearl Bailey and Cab Calloway who headed an all-black cast. It revitalized the show at the box office and ran for just shy of two years. When Pearl left the show, it reverted to being all-white and Phyllis Diller and Ethel Merman headlined. All totaled, the show ran for 2,818 performances (a record in its day).

Only a few years after the show closed, Pearl took out a in interracial tour of the show, where Billy Daniels played Horace. It played at the Minskoff Theatre on Broadway. This was the revival I alluded to.

Carol Channing revived the show twice on Broadway.

Okay? Understand now?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/9/11 at 12:05am

A Chorus Line.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

#9Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/9/11 at 12:36am

Dolly--thanks that does clear it up.

ACL... I don't think you bothered to read my post. *cry*

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#10Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/9/11 at 6:41am

Although the costumes and sets were different (and, IMHO nowhere near as good as the original) the 1983 revival of Rodgers and Hart's "On Your Toes" featured the original staging by 98 year old George Abbott, the original choreography by 93 year old George Balanchine and the original orchestrations by 97 year old Hans Spialek. It was the closest I will ever come to seeing a true 1930s musical from the Golden Days.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

#11Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 4:19am

I have the recording of that revival but had no idea it used the original staging, essentially. I would kill to see Balanchine's choreography in particular (but I know that some ballet companies do have Balanchine's Slauighter ballet from it in their repertory).

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#12Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 8:50am

I also get a certain rush from seeing select original productions recreated right before me. It depends on the musical though, and how well their original productions served them.

For example, even before I saw any version of Dreamgirls on stage, I already knew there was something about what I had seen of the original production designs, choreography, and direction that just seemed "right." This wouldn't be confirmed until many years later upon discovering some grainy footage of the OBC in action at the Imperial. I was stunned at how thrillingly it had been originally staged.

Another original production that intrigued me long before I saw it was Evita. I can't describe the rush I felt once I got to see the original, full-scale production in the 20th anniversary national tour. I was disappointed that some scenes were drastically "spiced-up" for that tour ("Buenos Aires" with its different orchestration and club-style lighting in place of the more evocative original lighting), but it really was the original for the most part, and it was thrilling to see something I had admired from afar come to life in front of me.

While very magical and creatively staged/designed, original production designs of musicals such as Miss Saigon, Ragtime, Showboat (Hal prince revival), and Titanic didn't catch on or strike a chord in me that made them iconic. It's not like I decide which productions are iconic and shouldn't be tampered with or anything. It's something I feel, and I'm guessing I feel it because it is there--that quality inherent in its original staging that can often times be difficult to explain, but you usually find you don't have to because the majority of people who've seen them agree, and can relate.

The only musical that I believe should NEVER be altered in any way is A Chorus Line. Everything else, even Evita, Dreamgirls, and Les Miserables (my fave original production) certainly work and can even benefit in certain scenes from revisions in direction and design, but still, 9 out of 10 times, I will come away feeling the original was more satisfying and complete.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Updated On: 4/14/11 at 08:50 AM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#13Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 11:20am

I'm curious as to what Jack O'Brien wants to do with DOLLY that Herman objects to. It seems like a show that has a pretty clear tone and direction to it...

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#14Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 1:01pm

In terms of plays, the 2002 revival of I'm Not Rappaport had the same star, director, set designer and lighting designer as the original 1985 Broadway production, and both were in the same theater (the Booth).

Not on Broadway, but the 2008 production of Talley's Folly at the McCarter had the same director, set designer, and costume designer as the original Broadway production from 1980.

In both cases, I don't have any idea whether the actual staging was changed in significant ways or not. My impression in both cases is that it was not, but I could be wrong.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 1:04pm

I was wondering who "Joe O'Brien" was, but I would absolutely trust Jack O'Brien with Hello, Dolly. In a heartbeat. Every more, in a way, than I would trust Bartlett Sher with it.

What are they doing about choreography? Is it Champion's? Or someone new?

Dollypop
#16Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 1:28pm

If I were to entrust anyone with re-staging DOLLY!, it would be Susan Stroman. Her style is very much like Champions to begin with.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 2:03pm

So who's doing the choreography for the new revival?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 3:56pm

Paula Abdul and Mia Michaels are both in consideration.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#19Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 4:01pm

Not sure about Le Miz.. since the broadway production took on the national tours staging when it went from the Broadway theater to the Imperial ... right? The tour that came back was using the tours staging. Right?

AEA AGMA SM
#20Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 4:47pm

I wasn't around to see it, but I recall reading (maybe in Lorrie Davis's book?) that the 10 year anniversary revival of Hair back in '77 was a recreation of the original production.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 5:06pm

well, I skimmed your post, as I do most on these boards and failed to see you added A Chorus Line at the end. no need to cry.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#22Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/14/11 at 5:14pm

Ain't Misbehavin

allofmylife
#23Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:07am

EricMontreal,

Bluegobo has about 60% of the "Slaughter" ballet as danced by Lara Teeter and Natalia Marakova and the entire title number with all the dancing. The Slaughter was wonderful onstage, but Lara Teeter is such a big guy, I never really got into his performance. Ray Bolger was much smaller and such an amazing, self-taught eccentric dancer. I assume he performed the number quite differently. I believe the other numbers aside from the two ballets were choreographed by Donald Sadler, sort of based on notes by Balanchine, so the "On Your Toes" number may not be authentic. But I do remember (and I saw the show early in the run when the dancing was still very precise - unlike this later video) the show was just SO filled with dancing.

a few from my collection:

The London cast in 1937

I have the original souvenir program:

Interestingly, there are no photos from "Slaughter" in the original program. I guess they wanted to keep it a bit of a surprise.

Ray Bolger during the run, 1936 (candid)

London again with Vera Zorina and Jack Whiting, on the night before the King (from "The King's Speech) was crowned.

read some of my older posts below, with hundreds of old program and cast photos.....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 4/15/11 at 12:07 AM

allofmylife
#24Broadway Revivals that used the original Production/Staging
Posted: 4/15/11 at 2:12am

Also, if you want to see the original ballets, the 1939 Warner Bros. has both ballets. The first, Princess Zenobia is totally the way Balanchine staged it on Broadway. Vera Zorina (who eventually married him - who didn't?) did the show in London, so her work in both ballets is totally authentic and much the same in Slaughter as Makarova danced it in 1983. Sadly, they chose Eddie Albert to play Junior and HE CAN'T DANCE A STEP, so his performance in "Slaughter" is wince-inducing (they cut to a double at one point for tap steps). Otherwise, however, the ballets are exactly as seen onstage.

ps I LOVE the amazing entangled arms Zorina executes in Zenobia. Years ahead of its time.

Videos