pixeltracker

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread- Page 4

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#752011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:52am

When was the last time a show/actor was nominated for Best Musical or Leading Actor after a show had already closed? This would be other than revivals (Pal Joey and Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton).

In either case, did the actor or musical win?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#762011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:53am

I'm very happy for the Scottsboro love! I'm not upset about any of the others, though. VEry glad LuPone got in there, but am surprised by the nom for Blanchard. That's the headscratcher for me.
Actor in a musical was a tough category, so am not surprised a few had to be left out. All of the nominees are very deserving. Of those overlooked, I only think Walker deserved it as much as those nominated.
Now, who will take it? Most interested in the James/Benanti/Clark race. I think all three deserve it.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#772011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:53am

I want Patti to win just so we can see her absolutely flip out and lose her sh*t accepting the award.

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#782011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:55am

"I want Patti to win just so we can see her absolutely flip out and lose her sh*t accepting the award."

^ That. All of that.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#792011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:56am

I thought we would see more of a balance of love for both Scottsboro and Bloody Bloody. They really got the shaft.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#802011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:57am

Other than the Radcliffe omission, I think the only real snub (in the sense that people expected him to be nominated) was Robin Williams for Bengal Tiger. He's giving a really great performance in that play. And it's a shame that Brian Bedford being in the wrong category precludes him from receiving a nomination.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#812011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:59am

I am happy to see the Tonys taking a chance and rewarding Scottsboro with nominations- but I would have put John Cullum in there over both Domingo and McClendon. Their performances were fine, but I wouldn't consider them award-worthy- they're very schticky comedic roles. However, I too feel that some of the love is excessive in the design categories. That being said, I feel as if the nominations for Scottsboro are its recognition. I doubt it'll win many, if any.

I am happy to see Bloody Bloody recognized for its book and set- though wish Benjamin Walker had snuck into Best Actor.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#822011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:01am

Too much for Scottsboro Boys. Overhyped, overrated, overadulated.

Sorry Priscilla didn't get best musical nom.

Sick the repellent Mother... got any nominations whatsoever. Sick it's running, sick it ever got even produced.

How does BBAJ get best book nom, no best score, when it had the year's best score?

Sick about Mormon fawning, but of course, wholly expected.

Sick and outraged about Radcliffe snub.

Sorry no nom for Benjamin Walker.

Glad they remembered La Bete for costumes, but why did they forget Free Man of Color?

Sad no nom for Estelle Parsons.

littlegreen2
#832011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:02am

Bloody Bloody was my favorite show of the season and although I can't say I'm surprised at the lack of recognition, I'm still sad. Excited for it's nominations though!

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#842011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:02am

I also can't help thinking that Radcliffe was frozen out to avoid another Zeta Jones/Hunter Foster breakdown again, shame, i think hes showing such love for the theatre and its not been shown to him. Hopefully he will come back to the West End.

I feel bad for Tveit.

Thrilled for The Normal Heart

The cast and crew of Wonderland must feel very left out right now, at least Baby It's You got one nod.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#852011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:03am

It's official the Tony Awards picks it's nominees from a random lottery drawing!

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#862011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:04am

HeyMrMusic, the harmonies that the actors sang, written by whomever, were beautifully executed and that made for a beautiful musical accompanied by the gorgeous orchestrations.When the voices join the instruments in harmony, THAT to me creates a full bodied orchestration. Not confused at all about my line of non-linear thinking on this one. Soooooooo anyway...........

and John Cullum Kad?? Really?? Why, because he's 103?? The nights I saw him perform, he looked like he was struggling just to STAY ALIVE. Should he get a nomination for not DYING on stage? Come now.

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#872011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:07am

I agree that Bedford is in the wrong category.

I really enjoyed Bloody, but really felt it was a slight show with a slight score. Scottsboro was inspired and had a great score. Henry/Walker was a tossup for me. Both were wonderful, so either getting a nom was fine with me, just not expected. I'm actually glad that noms were given to shows that were good to great but didnt find an audience, over some of the drab stuff that has opened later in the season and is still running and more commercial.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#882011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:10am

Yeah, John Cullum, for giving a masterful performance in a tricky role. Don't tell me that any old white man can play that part, because that's simply not true. Cullum was both charming and repulsive without ever being unlikable. His role had more meat to it than Tambo and Bones. Like I said, I enjoyed Domingo and McCleddon very much, but don't find the roles inherently award worthy just because they protean or are involved in the musical's more barbed numbers.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#892011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:10am

I wasn't saying you were confused nor was I mocking you. I was just stating a fact, that the vocal arrangements are not up for any kind of award. (Vocal arrangements are not included in the orchestration nomination either, no matter what you think "orchestration" is... again, just saying. Don't worry, clearly the Tony committee doesn't really know what orchestrations are either.)

Way to put down a show you apparently love so much. John Cullum did honorable work in The Scottsboro Boys.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#902011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:12am

What Kad said. Agreed.

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#912011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:13am

you know you guys are right......

OH WELL IT DOESN'T MATTER, THEY GOT 12 NOMS WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#922011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:17am

I agree that John Cullum was also deserving of a nomination, but had I been a nominator, I probably would have filled the entire category with "Scottsboro" cast members. I also think Christian Dante White and James T. Lane were deserving of nominations.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#932011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:23am

WOW. I'm surprised Daniel Radcliffe did NOT get a nomination! And I was hoping that Aaron Tveit would but was kind of expecting Norbert to take the Best Actor in a Musical spot over Tveit given all the reviews...but not even a nomination for Catch Me in Best Choreography? I'm shocked.

littlegreen2
#942011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:24am

Also, Miller or Foster for Best Leading Actress? I'm thinking Sutton will take it home but I'm interested in hearing opinions. I am really pulling for Donna Murphy even though she's not going to win. Eh.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#952011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:24am

I also would have been hardpressed to choose who from the Scottsboro ensemble to nominate. I agree that Cullum was fantastic, but I'm thrilled for Domingo and especially McClendon who I thought was extraordinary, particularly when balancing the outre humor with a hint of sincerity as the lawyer. I'm one who does think Scottsboro deserved all of its nominations--yes, even for Book and Set Design. For me, the two best new musicals led the nominations, and that's a thrill. If I could change one thing in any of the musical categories, I'd swap out Catch Me for Priscilla or BBAJ. Other than that, I'm pretty darn content.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#962011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:27am

I highly doubt the Tony Nominating Committee is thinking about what Hunter Foster might say.

That said, they have been known NOT to nominate performances/shows they thought had a chance of winning the big award, but didn't consider worthy. Legally Blonde. The Addams Family. Kristen Chenoweth, at least once. And apparently, Radcliffe.

Radcliffe could certainly have taken this award (esp considering the others in his category) by campaigning hard...particularly when the starstruck out-of-town voters came to town.

As a producer I worked for once said: there's always a WTF at the Tonys. Don't feel too badly for little Harry Potter. He's one of the richest men in the world and has certainly shaken off his film fame in the context of the New York Theater. And h'll probably win all of the other awards because people are pissed about this snub.

beautywickedlover
#972011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:34am

I must say I am disappointed with these nominations. I am most disappointed about Laura Osnes being snubbed. She brought so much depth to the role of Hope Harcourt and she also has a lovely voice. Patti Lupone got her nomination because she is so legendary. Tammy Blanchard is great, but I am not sure if she desreved this nomination either. Daniel Radcliffe and Aaron Tveit being snubbed is also a disappointment. I am happy that "Catch Me if You Can" got a nomination for Best Musical though.

LindaTNo1
#982011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:37am

Yes, I agree with Sister Act being overlooked in the Orchestration and Design categories. A show that receives raves, raves, raves and for this so called "nominating committee" to simply reject certain actors and categories, is simply unexplainable.

Politics abound in the world of Tony.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#992011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:42am

Sister Act didn't receive raves, raves, raves.

Videos