pixeltracker

Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!

Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!

beautywickedlover
#1Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 11:35am

Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose who have all appeared on Broadway will all be named Disney Legends this year. Jodi Benson received a Tony nominaton for "Crazy for You" and voiced Ariel in "The Little Mermaid" films and Barbie in the "Toy Story" films. Paige O'Hara, who last played Fantine in "Les Miserables," is best known for voicing Belle in "Beauty and the Beast" as well as its sequels and games. Lea Salonga, who received critical accalim for role as Kim in "Miss Saigon" where she won a Tony, did the singing voices of Jasmine in "Aladdin" and the title character in "Mulan" and "Mulan II." Also, Anika Noni Rose, who won the Tony for her role in "Caroline or Change," voiced Tiana in "The Princess and the Frog."

All of the voices of the Disney Princesses were given this honor except for Judy Kuhn and Irene Bedard, who did the speaking and singing voices of Pocahontas. Ming-Na, who did the speaking voice of Mulan, hasn't gotten this honor yet either. Linda Larkin, who did the speaking voice of Jasmine in the "Aladdin" films as well as its games and tv series, was named one this year. Adriana Caselotti (Snow White), Ilene Woods (Cinderella), and Mary Costa (Princess Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty") received their's a while back. I hope Judy, Ming, and Irene will get their awards one day.

ETA: I can't describe how thrilled I am to see all of these women become Disney Legends. I grew up listening to their voices and I still listen to them to this day. I also forgot about Ming-Na, who did the speaking voice of Mulan. I hope she gets this honor one day as well. I just added her in my original post.

2011 Disney Legends Awards Honorees at D23 Expo to include Regis Philbin, Jim Henson, Disney Princess voices Updated On: 3/5/12 at 11:35 AM

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#2Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 12:48pm

What about Mandy Moore who voiced Rapunzel?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 12:59pm

I don't see how voicing one princess in one film (and a myriad of direct to video sequels, in the case of Benson and O'Hara) makes you a Disney legend, especially when you look at the other recipients of the award. I'm not taking anything away from the work these women have done, but they certainly don't belong in the same company as Disney luminaries such as Marty Sklar, Dave Smith, Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, Ub Iwerks, Ollie Johnston, the Sherman Brothers, Julie Andrews, and so on.

beautywickedlover
#3Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 1:08pm

"What about Mandy Moore who voiced Rapunzel?"

Rapunzel is not an official Disney Princess yet.

husk_charmer
#4Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 1:37pm

adamgreer-
I could see the argument against Salonga, Kuhn and and Rose (I know Kuhn didn't get one, but I'm lumping her in with them) since they've never really done much with Disney.

However, Benson and O'Hara have been with the company since their respective films (89 and 91) and always put in apperances and are always glad to do work (or at least seem glad) for the company. Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are arguably the two best films of the Disney Renaissance and to me are just as important as Sleeping Beauty or Snow White or Cinderella (and might I add none of them every did much for Disney again).

Just my 0.02

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

SporkGoddess
#5Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 2:16pm

Poor Pocahontas, she's always left out.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#6Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 2:24pm

^ Sadly...I love that movie. It think it could be a very good musical.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

beautywickedlover
#7Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 2:40pm

I was surprised when I found out that Mary Costa received the award before Ilene Woods did. Although I love how Costa voiced Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty," the film nearly bankrupted Disney and didn't get a following till much later. Aurora also had the possibly shortest amount of screen time from a title character in a film (excluding her time as a baby). "Cinderella" also saved the company from going out business. I guess maybe it was because Costa continued to act and sing after "Sleeping Beauty" and Woods retired from show business shortly after "Cinderella" was released.

I am also surprised that Rose is getting this honor when I thought Disney considered The Princess and the Frog's box office performance a disppointment. However, it really wasn't. Against a budget of $105 million, its worldwide total is $267 million. The film also sold very well on DVD with 4,475,227 copies sold.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 3:09pm

I don't have a huge issue with Benson or O'Hara, since they've done almost nothing else since their respective films and are still holding on to their particular princesses. Just last week they rolled her out for the opening of Ariel's Undersea Adventure in California.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 3:25pm

I guess you can be a "legend" for a film that's two years old now.

Shouldn't your work, the film, the character, have to stand some test of time?

Benson and O'Hara? Fine. Salonga? Okay, even though she just sang the songs. And it's a slap in the face to Ming-Na who has been the speaking voice for Mulan. They're honoring Linda Larkin, the speaking voice of Jasmine, though.

But the Princess and the Frog was released in 2009. Come on, it's no "legend" or "classic" yet. It hasn't been long enough.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/16/11 at 03:25 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#10Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 3:30pm

Why isn't Eleanor Audley a Disney Legend? I feel like her impact on the Disney canon is huge.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 3:33pm

Do they give posthumous "legend" awards?

If they do, that's a gross oversight with Eleanor Audley.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
givesmevoice
#13Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 3:43pm

Do they give posthumous "legend" awards?

If they do, that's a gross oversight with Eleanor Audley.

I'm looking at the list now and I see that Betty Lou Gerson, who was the voice of Cruella, was named a Disney Legend in 1996. Missing Eleanor Audley is even more of a gross oversight now that I know that.

I honestly even think some of the character actors and actresses like Verna Felton should be honored. The Fairy Godmother is one of their most recognizable characters.

Aurora also had the possibly shortest amount of screen time from a title character in a film (excluding her time as a baby).

She also doesn't speak for almost the entire second half of the film. The only Disney title character who has less dialogue is Dumbo.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 6/16/11 at 03:43 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 4:02pm

Okay, if Verna Felton hasn't been honored posthumously, this whole thing is a joke.

She is THE Disney Legend, as far as voices go. No other actor in history has voiced as many memorable characters in classic Disney animated films. For an overall career, she is peerless.

Dumbo (gossipy elephant/Mrs. Jumbo)
Cinderella (fairy godmother)
Alice in Wonderland (Queen of Hearts)
Lady and the Tramp (Aunt Sara)
Sleeping Beauty (Flora)
Jungle Book (Winifred)

That's six classic (in the truest sense of the word) Disney movies, with six different characters (not like Toy Story and the sequels with actors repeating the same role in multiple films).

It's really embarrassing if they haven't honored her yet.

Updated On: 6/16/11 at 04:02 PM

givesmevoice
#15Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 4:13pm

I feel like it might be too late, at this point, for them to honor people like Verna Felton and Eleanor Audley. Maybe if a massive facebook campaign was started, but I feel like if they haven't been honored at this point, no one there is pushing for them. And I had honestly forgotten how many other characters Verna Felton voiced. I know her best as the Fairy Godmother and Flora. (And, honestly, I would rather see Felton, Barbara Jo Allen and Barbara Luddy honored for voicing the three fairies than Mary Costa for voicing Princess Aurora. But I'm biased because I love that movie to death and the three fairies are way more interesting than Aurora.)

beautywickedlover
#16Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 5:29pm

"And it's a slap in the face to Ming-Na who has been the speaking voice for Mulan."

Maybe she'll receive this honor next year.
Updated On: 6/16/11 at 05:29 PM

beautywickedlover
#17Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 10:13pm

"I guess you can be a "legend" for a film that's two years old now."

Maybe they thought Rose made history as the first African-American actress to voice a Disney Princess. Same thing with Salonga, who became the first Aisan to voice a Disney Princess when she did the singing voice of Jasmine.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#18Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/16/11 at 10:15pm

i certainly agree that Verna Felton and Eleanor Audley need to be honered. People may not know them by name but they sure as hell know the characters they have voiced. i can also Think June Foray should be honored too.

Darreyl with an L!

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#19Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/17/11 at 2:04am

I'm surprised that Anika Noni Rose (brilliant as she is) is being honored because Princess and the Frog hasn't really entered the category of "classic" Disney in my mind.

Anyway, I'm glad for everyone else. I wish Judy Kuhn gets honored soon. I have no qualms with Lea Salonga being honored even though she just did the singing. "A Whole New World" is my go-to example of a Disney song.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#20Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/17/11 at 2:50am

Lea Salonga also did "Reflection" from Mulan.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#21Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/17/11 at 4:22am

I'm really happy for them all as they are finally getting the recognition they truly deserve, especially for both Jodi & Paige. An award that should have been presented to them years ago in my opinion!

beautywickedlover
#22Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/17/11 at 11:27am

"I'm looking at the list now and I see that Betty Lou Gerson, who was the voice of Cruella, was named a Disney Legend in 1996"

Gerson also narrated the opening scene of "Cinderella."

joeychris
#23Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/18/11 at 10:32pm

I totally agree with you Jodi Benson deserve this award!! and i can't wait to see her that day!

beautywickedlover
#24Lea Salonga, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Anika Noni Rose named 2011 Disney Legends!
Posted: 6/20/11 at 2:00pm

It's possible that Moore will get the award next year. Rapunzel will officially become the 10th Disney Princess on October 2, 2011 at Kensington Palace in London.

ETA: "And it's a slap in the face to Ming-Na who has been the speaking voice for Mulan."

I can't believe I forgot about her. I added that I hope she gets that honor one day as well.

Worldwide Celebration to Honor Rapunzel, 10th Member of the Disney Princess Royal Court Updated On: 7/1/12 at 02:00 PM