pixeltracker

George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM

George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM

Harpz2006
#1George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 10:30pm

After 24 years in the show, his contract has not been renewed... BUT... his son-in-law is taking over for him!! Crazy... lol I lstumbled across this on facebook when I clicked on his name on someone's friend list (thought his name sounded familiar from the boards). (First I typed "literally stumbled" but realized I might catch some flack for that one...).
http://www.facebook.com/notes/george-lee-andrews/news/10150726745350721 Updated On: 7/16/11 at 10:30 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 10:56pm

So... they fired him? Why?

Harpz2006
#2George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 10:57pm

I don't know... he seems kind of bummed!

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#3George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 10:59pm

Yowza! Well what a great run, congratulations to him!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#4George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 11:02pm

That's a bit of a dick move...

Mattbrain
#5George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 11:48pm

He was one of the reasons I wanted to see the show on Broadway!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/16/11 at 11:51pm

Didn't they also fire his long-time co-star (and the guy he would occasionally swap roles with), Jeff Keller, a few years ago, too?

#7George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 1:29am

Funny, I swear I recently read Hal Prince going on and on about how great he is and he hopes he stays a long time yet.

ravnquest1
#8George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 10:26am

Who knows why they finally moved on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just money. But, IMO, it's been long past time for Andrews to bow out. His performance is stale and phoned-in and has been for 10 years. I'm happy they are bringing in some fresh faces. My understanding of the role switching between him and Keller was that Prince wanted to replace them both but decided to flip them around instead to keep it fresh. It wasn't a choice they had, it was 'do this or you're out'.

I believe Keller was fired for theft and not because of his performance, or that was the story I heard at the time.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 10:30am

He's had a steady job for 24 years--a job which has allowed him to take several leaves of absence to work on other projects, as well. He's luckier than most actors working in theatre. He had a good run; it's time for him to move on.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#10George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 11:21am

How fantastic for an actor to work for 24 years and be continuely employed. How many actors can say that they have experienced that? Not that many, I would think.

Best of luck to him.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 1:33pm

I'm not really sure why they wouldn't renew his contract unless ...

a) It's about money.

b) He's underperforming in the role now.

c) He's a pain in the as$ to work with.

I saw him do the part about ten years ago, and he was great. And it's not like he has to be young to play that character.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#12George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 1:43pm

Strange. Wow. I wish him well in his next adventure(s.)

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

ravnquest1
#13George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 4:51pm

"And it's not like he has to be young to play that character."

Well way back when, Andre was the younger manager and Firmin was the older one. Or at least that's how it was often cast. The Andre actor was often a Phantom cover. Then they got into the same few actors in the manager roles in the US and it went by the wayside. I think Andrews is probably too old for Andre now.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#14George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 4:53pm

Jeff Keller was fired for theft? That's interesting, if it's true. Theft of property? Theft of funds? Just not the kind of thing you hear everyday connected to Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

jack4jazz Profile Photo
jack4jazz
#15George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 5:57pm

He was fired by Cameron. EVERYONE is sad. But his son-in-law did get the role. But to be honest he is REALLY young. Not certain its going to play. Lots of changes over there. Evan just got his walking papers finally.!!! YEAH! Evan Harrington has to be the rudest man I have ever met.

The good thing is that hopefully when Michelle McConnell is done they will fire Peter Von. and bring back Patricia Phillips who is the best Carlotta ever!

Peter is the reason Jennifer Hope, John Cudia, Howard McGillan, Patrica Phillips all were let go...SAD that one untalented man has that much power

ravnquest1
#16George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 7:34pm

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 07:34 PM

wonkit
#17George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 7:47pm

Andrews gave a memorable performance as Frederick in the NYCO's LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC in 1993.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 10:20pm

I loved George Lee Andrews in "A Little Night Music." I saw it when it aired and have watched it many times since. George was the original Frid and understudied Len Cariou, too.

I also love him on the Starting Here, Starting Now recording.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#19George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/17/11 at 11:05pm

That is really an awful move.

ThankstoPhantom
#20George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/18/11 at 1:41am

before the cookie-cutter performances we've seen since the mid 90s.

Jennifer Hope Wills was, to me, the beacon of change this past decade with the Broadway production. Her performance was truly inspired, and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to see a Christine as active, engaged, and rather dangerous/messy as hers was.

And Sean MacLaughlin (who was in the NY production for far too short a time) was an extraordinary Raoul. He stole the show, for me, when I saw PHANTOM in January.

I firmly believe that the best times to see long-running shows are when they hire actors who play the play on their own terms within the framework of the original staging. Wills, MacLaughlin, John Cudia, and Ryan Silverman are, in my opinion, inspired recent examples.

A note on Sara Jean Ford: She is also an exciting Christine... I still feel very conflicted about her interpretation, and that's what I love about her work in the role. At least back in January, her Christine came off as rather ambiguous and dark, so the cogs are still turning in my head.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 7/18/11 at 01:41 AM

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#21George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/18/11 at 3:02am

I thought Andrews was great when I saw him.

Speaking of Christine, though, I saw Marni Raab in the role and although her acting may have been a bit lackluster, her voice was phenomenal. I'm so grateful that I got to see her, it was a beautiful first experience with the Broadway production.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

Tsao5
#22George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/18/11 at 10:38am

That Keller thing is just bizarre. I was surprised he was there one minute and then just gone. The thought of any criminal activity would have never entered my mind. Kinda professionally embarrassing way to go. Anyone know what he is doing now?

Andrews had a great run, a gift in theater for both him and his family. But, the producers have a responsibility to the public. If it is time for an actor to move on....then they should move on. It's a shame that it is not as easy to let some of the ensemble members go. Yes, Miss Saigon ensemble I am talking to you.

If the current Piangi is heading out, did they just bump up his understudy, who I heard was pretty good. I know they are looking for a Piangi cover/ensemble member.

jack4jazz Profile Photo
jack4jazz
#23George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/19/11 at 7:41pm

Chris Bohannon is the understudy is WONDERFUL! He is leaving the show as he just booked Sister Act as John Tracey Egan's Understudy, and the guy who is the understudy at Sister Act Kevin Ligon is coming over to Phantom to be Firmen.

AEA AGMA SM
#24George Lee Andrews leaving PHANTOM
Posted: 7/19/11 at 7:53pm

"But his son-in-law did get the role. But to be honest he is REALLY young."

While he will be younger than people have gotten used to seeing, I'm not sure I would classify 32 as REALLY young (though as somebody who is a year younger than Aaron I'm more than happy to know that I can still pass for REALLY young).

Videos