pixeltracker

Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?

Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 7:29am

So, is anyone shocked or surprised that Cathy Rigby is doing yet another "farewell" tour of Peter Pan? i feel that her and this show is very similar to Topal and Fiddler.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#2Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 8:14am

And the world goes round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 9:08am

I saw her about 6 years ago (maybe 7). She was still remarkable.

Kids will still love her...and THAT is truly what this show is about: MAGIC.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#3Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 9:32am

She'll never grow up.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 9:36am

See? She's perfect!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

willep
#5Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 10:40am

It's like how Ted Neeley keeps doing "Farewell" tours of JCS...he'll never stop doing the role, even if he is too old for it.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#6Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 10:50am

^ Actually, you're wrong. Knowing Mr. Neeley well, billing the last run as the "Farewell" tour was never his idea and he never approved of it, but when the tour finally closed, he was ready to hang up the robe. He's not doing JCS any longer; anyone who can find the clips on YouTube knows his scream is still strong, but that's really all he's got.

However, don't rule out any rumblings of other Jesus musicals. I hear Neeley may be tackling Godspell (for a change) on the East Coast in the future, and I don't mean Ken Davenport's production.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

willep
#7Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:15am

Oh, I saw him two years ago and he was definitely amazing, just twice as old as the rest of the cast so it looked really strange and his age showed in other ways during the show. Also I was referring to the fact that his Farewell tour lasted, like, 3 years.

But thanks for clearing that up for me Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:33am

This tour isn't being billed as a farewell tour.

I saw her in the "farewell tour" when it played Madison Square Garden, and she was still outstanding. I can't wait to see the tour in NY this December, even if it means going to that awful venue (the Theater at Madison Square Garden) again.

Dollypop
#9Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 12:28pm

I'm absolutely thrilled about this. It'll be a wonderful opportunity to introduce my 6 year old granddaughter to one of my favorite shows!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#10Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 12:31pm

To be fair, the last tour in 2005-ish that Rigby did was to celebrate 100 years of Peter Pan the story's existence. She also intimated at the time that it would be her last flight in the role. However, she never explicitly said it was the last time.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

gcal
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#12Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 1:36pm

^ Look, I can't speak for Tom or Cathy, but it's a quick way to pay the bills, and you can't say she doesn't know the material.

gypsy4
#13Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 2:03pm

I was one of the Audience members who attended the final closing performance when the Farewell Tour officially closed on May 26th,2006 in Portland, Oregon at Keller Auditorium. Boy was it one magical emotional evening inside theatre for it was to have been rigby's last in the role. the Lights went down in the theatre the audience came to a complete silence as Craig barna conducted the incredible touring orchestra I still to this day I still get goosebumps when hearing the Overture from the show the score couldn't have been played more magical that evening. The cast gave one remarkable performance, as if they were performing it for the very first time there wasn't a lacking moment on that stage the whole evening ( Rigby was a burst of energy) you could tell she was holding back the emotions. It was a high light to see some Peter Pan alumni joining the stage with Cathy for her final special moment ( theresa Mccoy and Elisa Sagardia) Sagardia was very fresh in the role I didn't realize it was her until Intermission. Rigby and her have always shared a wonderful connection on stage in the two roles especially during Distant Melody, and in the first act and for Mccoy it was very Magical to see the mother daughter bond in the very last few moments of the show as cathy flew her daughter off to neverland one last time, there wasn't a dry tear in the crowd. for the show's Ensemble they looked like they were having the time of there life on stage. The cast received extended applause for several of the numbers ( Cathy's first entrance, Flying sequence, Uga Wug) the evening ended with a tearful 15 minuter final good bye speech from the actor who played Hook, Rigby, and Sagardia along with the rest of the cast and crew even the lost boys wear shedding some tears. it was very cool to see the many stage hands, stage manager's, and assistants come up on to the stage as they showered cathy with Flowers some of them had worked on the production for more than 10 years. Tom Mccoy was sitting down in the Pit as he threw up some comments, Cathy gave a sweet final good bye as she thanked the audience and took her final Bow with the entire company she told audience there could not have been a better place to close the show than in the Pacific Northwest. she took her last flight as the curtain fell. The lights came up to a theatre that was full of emotions and a buzz. it's 5 years later and I guess cathy is still in full swing in fact there was even an article article in the paper during her run here in Portland about how she was excited about her retirment and how she was excited to pass the show on to someone. but there is no one who can play the as fresh and as child like as her.

Updated On: 8/23/11 at 02:03 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 2:44pm

A girl's gotta eat. Just ask Cher about her farewell "tours".

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

iluvtheatertrash
#15Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:04pm

Just watched the Cathy Rigby DVD the other day and man! She is something special.

I've never been a fan of female Peters, but it's been a while since I've watched it. She is absolutely magical and the kids no doubt love her.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:07pm

I love Rigby in the role so I have no complaints. My only issue is the fact that some sites seem to be advertising it as "all new" which I guess is technically true because it's a new tour, but from the dress rehearsal pics the sets and costumes all seem to be the same. The only thing that's different is the new show artwork and even that's mostly the same.

gypsy4
#17Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:09pm

I think they've added in a couple new drops?

Tamerlano Profile Photo
Tamerlano
#18Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:42pm

Peter Past It?...absolutley not..its one of my favourite DVDs..here in the UK I've seen Lulu,Bonnie Langford and a flock of cute actors in the Charlap/Styne version...I have to say none of them beat Ms Rigby.

beautywickedlover
#19Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:54pm

I think it's great that she is playing the role again. I'm very excited about this tour.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 7:04pm

I just wish the NY stop was at a real theater, not that horrendous "theater" at Madison Square Garden, where if you aren't in the first 10 rows, you might as well not even bother.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:23pm

The 2004-05 tour was indeed to be her last. It was BOTH a 100th Anniversary Tour (and 50th Anniversary of the musical) as well as her intended Farewell Tour.

THEN she did the show again at a regional theater (Pittsburgh CLO) a couple seasons ago and realized she missed the role. So she decided "hey, I'm still young...why not?!" So she's got her tights and is taking back out on the road.

Good for her.

But I would still love to see the Stiles/Drewe PETER PAN on stage here in the States...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#22Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:34pm

I love the show and know the McCoy family and will never get sick of watching her in it. I do wish, however, that she would do something different. I know some might say, "what else could she do" well, I think she could surprise people. There's wonderful material out there for her as is evidenced by some of the other stuff she's done.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#23Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/24/11 at 10:31am

^ Like what, Seussical? Yes, a shining display for anybody's talent. The Wizard of Oz? That was over 20 years ago. Cathy's found her niche for the moment, and I'm happy she can do what she loves.

eatlasagna
#24Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, again?!?!?
Posted: 8/24/11 at 11:21am

question... i just put the Cathy Rigby Peter Pan on my Netflix streaming queue... is it faithful to the production? meaning did they edit it out anything substantial? thanks