DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Geoffrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing

DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Geoffrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing

Johnnycantdecide Profile Photo
Johnnycantdecide
binau Profile Photo
binau
#2DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 5:35pm

I'm surprised the article doesn't mention that he has already played the role on stage in Melbourne.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 5:47pm

I'd like to see Cher as the Chaperone.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#3DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 5:59pm

Who would ever put money behind this? I love Rush and all, but this is SUCH a niche audience to cater to. If the show couldn't reach them all on Broadway, there's no reason that the movie would be able to reach enough of them either.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:01pm

Well I guess they would argue that the reason is Geoffrey Rush...(and whatever other stars they manage to pull)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/14/11 at 06:01 PM

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#5DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:03pm

Strike that off your lists of Thenardier's....

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:11pm

Only if their schedules conflict. Les Miz is on a fast track now and Chaperone has a star, a director, and is looking for funding. It may take a while to get that one going.

I would love to see how it works on film. It would depend on the screenplay, but you could go much further than just having him interact with the actors on a proscenium stage. He could flash back with them when he's describing their pasts, he could interact with them backstage, and special effects and editing could really make it interesting.

My choice for the Chaperone: Catherine Zeta-Jones

EDIT: The biggest creative hurdle for a screenplay is "who is he talking to?" There needs to be a device. He can't just speak directly into the camera and talk to "us" in the movie audience. That will kill it faster than anything.

Is he talking to himself? (Kinda nutty, but people do it.) Or could he tell it to someone physically on the screen with him. An outsider.

(I'm reminded of all the monologues in Amadeus that were turned into a "confession" in the movie in front of a priest. There needs to be an on-screen device like that to make it work cinematically.)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/14/11 at 06:11 PM

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#7DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:33pm

I saw the final performance of Drowsy Chaperone with Rush in Australia-- he was quite delightful in the role, so it will be nice to see his performance again (he dances like a drunken spider, though).

I'm not entirely sure how this will translate to a movie, though. Having an outsider on screen seems like it might be really odd with the story, but then, a crazy guy talking to himself might also not work so well. It will be interesting to see what approach they take.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#8DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:37pm

I'm not even concerned about the approach to the narrative. Who knows, maybe the whole thing will be a dream sequence ala Chicago. But who outside the immediate theatre community would go see this? Rush isn't a HUGE star draw, and the jokes in this show- at least a third cater directly to repeat theatre goers, not even the theatre goers who love N2N and BoM and RENT, but the Old Guard theatregoers who can quote High Button Shoes. There aren't many out there to make a strong opening weekend.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:44pm

Oh, I've no question it would be an art film. If they could do it on a "Woody Allen" budget, it might make a little money, too.

Jordan Catalano
#10DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 6:48pm

"But who outside the immediate theatre community would go see this?"

People who like movies. People who like whoever will be playing Janet or the Chaperone, or Adolpho or Robert, etc. Or people who like fun movies or musicals. Nobody's saying this has to be as big as STAR WARS or make as much money as TITANIC. Some great movies don't break box office records but are still damn good.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:09pm

Thank God not everything is Transformers 6.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#12DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:10pm

There are some great opportunities in this for some names to do the smaller roles, just to have fun.
Besty you are right about the 4th wall bit- who is he speaking to? Could a letter being read work? Perhaps a diary entry? It worked for Bridget! ( if they want a "modern" take, how about a blog?)

Jordan Catalano
#13DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:14pm

I just hope it's half as good as THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:29pm

My nominations:

Mrs. Tottendale - Georgia Engel
Janet Van de Graff - Amy Adams
Drowsy Chaperone - Bette Midler
Aldolpho - Kevin Kline
Gangsters - Mark and Donny Wahlberg
Robert Martin - Robert Downey, Jr.
Trix - Queen Latifah

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jordan Catalano
#15DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:30pm

That's pretty damn good cast.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#16DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:44pm

I don't see this ever happening. Like the Carey/Gylenhaal Damn Yankees! film.

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#17DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 8:13pm

Maybe they could pull this off like the original vision for the A Chorus Line movie. Instead of the Man listening to a cast album, he could be watching an old movie musical and interacting with the characters on screen.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 10:48pm

Man In Chair - Geoffrey Rush
Mrs. Tottendale - Diane Wiest
Janet Van de Graff - Amy Adams
Drowsy Chaperone - Beth Leavel (I changed my mind)
Aldolpho - Danny Burstein (Let two of the OBC reprise their roles!)
Gangsters - Mark and Donny Wahlberg (love that idea)
Robert Martin - James Marsden
Trix - Queen Latifah

EDIT: Although, Robert Downey Jr. would make a hilarious Aldolpho.

Updated On: 9/14/11 at 10:48 PM

Owen22
#20DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 10:55pm

I think the old movie musical DVD is the only way this could work. It actually make more sense than the stage show, as he's only listening to a cast album, there shouldn't be any dialogue or plot.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#21DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/14/11 at 11:39pm

I'm sorry but this show is SO theatrical I really cannot see it working...I've been wrong before...

But just to jump on the bandwagen...

Janet Van de Graff - Anne Hathaway
Drowsy Chaperone - Liza, Bette Middler
Aldolpho - John C. Reilly or Will Ferrell
Mrs. Tottendale - Carol Channing
Underling - Stewie Griffin
Robert Martin - James Marsden
George - Steve Carrell
Feldzeig - Nathan Lane
Kitty - Jane Krakowski
Gangsters - Alec and Stephen Baldwin, OR David & Patrick Cassidy, OR John C. Reilly & Will Ferrell
Trix - Queen Latifah

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/15/11 at 12:12am

Besty, I can totally picture Amy Adams completely blowing the audience's mind during "Show Off" and having a ball with it! What a fantastic idea. I'm a fan of Hathaway but even I'm getting tired of her being touted for every single movie musical out there (though I know people do the same with Adams, but here I think it'd work wonders).
Love the idea of Zeta-Jones as the Chaperone as well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#24DROWSY CHAPERONE film: Georrey Rush to star with Schepisi directing
Posted: 9/15/11 at 1:12am

Gwyneth Paltrow as Janet

You could cast it with all Academy Award Winners.

Rush, Liza, etc.