pixeltracker

Most beautiful/perfect singing voices

Most beautiful/perfect singing voices

Dave19
#1Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 5:44pm

I thought this would make a great topic. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but here is my top 6 (in random order).
I like it when people sing with their true, natural voice (like an extension of speech) and sing with emotion, and still have perfect placements of the notes. So that defines "perfect" for me: Knowing what their true voice is, and know how to tell a story and convey the exact right emotion and still handle their voice so well that the notes are perfect too.

Here are some very specific clips that I love. Which in my opinion are true works of art. Please post yours too!

Lea Salonga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfmP7h3gBw

Whitney Houston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8SguJTgHA

John Owen Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPiAKDLjKY

Sandi Patty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh12LJLJVE

Karen Carpenter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wdyl_a1Eo

Joke de Kruijf (as Cinderella):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fKFQZxtAA

Updated On: 1/18/12 at 05:44 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 5:55pm

I have to admit...I was not an Audra fan when I first heard her. It took seeing that medley she did for the woman on Broadway about 10 times to realize how fabulous her voice is. Along with her I love Patti and Stephanie Mills. But for the longest, Streisand had the perfect voice, in my opinion. And, in my opinion, she is the voice of our time. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Dave19
#2Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 6:05pm

It's nice to see we all have different views, and I don't want to bring down your opinion :) but can you tell me why you didn't like Audra's voice at first?

I personally don't like her either, because her singing seems "forced" to me, like it's too far away from her natural speaking voice.

I also never really liked Barbra, although I can see she's great. I like it when people "glide" through notes, and what Barbra does is more "whaling", like Linda Eder does too.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#3Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 6:12pm

Not the most perfect ever, but some male voices that I model after are Jeremy Jordan, Adam Pascal (especially in Memphis, not necessarily Rent), and Aaron Tveit. I think each one has so much technique and their timbres are pleasant.

BroadwayFan12
#4Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 6:23pm

Kelli O'Hara.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:24pm

Rebecca Luker has the perfect voice, I think.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#6Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:48pm

I second Kelli O'Hara.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#7Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:50pm

Laura Benanti. Pure bliss when I hear her voice, it's such a treat.

random person 112
#8Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:50pm

La LuPone.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#9Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:55pm

Stritch, Harvey Fierstein, and Lauren Becall tie for me.

SporkGoddess
#10Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 8:44pm

Kelli O'Hara, Lea Salonga, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Anthony Warlow, Audra McDonald

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 8:51pm

I usually find "perfect" singing voices boring as hell. I like voices with character. There are some, like Audra McDonald, that hit a wonderful balance of technical precision and real interpretive flair. But when I hear a singer who seems focused in hitting notes rather than interpreting a song/character, I just stop caring. In short, I'd rather have an interesting voice than a perfect one.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bwaylvsong
#12Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 9:16pm

Stephanie J Block
Kate Baldwin
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Marin Mazzie

Plum
#13Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 9:25pm

Barbara Cook

The Pud
#14Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 9:33pm

I grew up listening to the haunting voice of Karen Carpenter and I still love her voice, especially Goodby to Love.

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#15Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 9:36pm

Bernadette Peters.

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

bernadettelupone17
#16Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:07pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Liz Callaway. Her performance of Meadowlark is absolutely stunning. To me, she has the most perfect voice and the most perfect way of interpreting a song.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#17Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:18pm

Gavin Creel

Tsao5
#18Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:36pm

Perfect voices can be at times thrilling and at times boring as hell depending on where and what context they are singing. Linda Eder comes to mind. Cool voice on a recording or in cabaret. SO boring in a show (J & H).

Colm Wilkinson, Adam Pascal and Sean Kingsley (He was a London Valjean whose Pity the Child on Youtube is ridiculously amazing) are great in the voice department. None are perfect singers but with their rock backgrounds they put something special into whatever they sing and can give goosebumps when both seeing them live and on a recording.

Judy Kuhn, Mandy "love him or hate him" Patinkin, Norbert Butz, Carolee Carmello, Audra McDonald, Pia Douwes (works in Germany alot) and Jesse Martin come to mind also.

From yesteryear John Cullum and John Raitt come to mind.

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#19Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:50pm

Audra McDonald
Gavin Creel

AwesomeDanny
#20Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:07pm

Well, there's no such thing as perfect. Most singers who I like do some things that annoy me on occasion. Laura Benanti is one of my favorites. I thought that Susan Moniz did some really great singing in Follies a few months ago, but I haven't heard enough to judge. I love the voices of Patti LuPone, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Raul Esparza, but each of them do some weird things with their voices that don't sound great.

willep
#21Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:28pm

I agree with the person above who said Norbert Leo Butz, I will also say that I love Brian D'Arcy James' voice. As for women, I really fell in love with Cristin Milioti's voice in "Once."

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#22Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:45pm

I'll be honest. I really hate the high, thin, Rodgers and Hammerstein-type of voice, so I'm not really into Kelli O'Hara, Barbara Cook, etc.

I like the deeper, darker sounds, so I'm gonna say Carolee Carmello.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

maila Profile Photo
maila
#23Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:51pm

donna murphy
ramin karimloo

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#24Most beautiful/perfect singing voices
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:57pm

For you consideration, Julie Andrews and Cass Elliot singing a medley of Simon & Garfunkel.

Also, when Alfie Boe joined the other Valjeans in the Les Miserables celebration, his voice was as glorious as I've ever heard.
Julie & Cass

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson