Taylor Swift on the Grammys

Owen22
#1Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 12:10pm

Though the point is now moot, if any of the Taylor Haters caught her charismatic, well-sold, nicely-sung, on key, knowing and charming performance on last night's Grmmays, I wonder if it changed your mind? Cause I know that I am now DOUBLY disappointed she won't be playing Eponine in the "Les Miz" film.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#2Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 1:01pm

I thought she designed one of the more interesting sets for a production of Lil Abner I've ever seen. That backdrop of barnwood and washboards went so well with the barefoot women in floral sack dresses and the men in suspenders and mismatched vests.

FindingNamo
#2Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 1:10pm

My absolute favorite commentary courtesy Spin.com:

MIGRANT-MOM CHIC IS SO HOT RIGHT NOW

From Taylor Swift to the Band Perry to Civil Wars, white people were once again pushing the vintage, acoustic hokiness meter this year, after Mumford & Sons broke down the gates last year and let the suspendered, straw-chewing, hobohemians come hamboning down the Rock Island Line. Swift walked the red carpet in a stunningly composed dress by celebrity designer Zuhair Murad, yet she inexplicably donned a Dust Bowl frock to perform her excellent bad boyfriend song “Mean” like she was a greeter in a PoFolks restaurant waiting area. Certainly, one could make the argument that these Depression-era duds are a comment on our recent economic woes, but that case would be a lot easier to make if the music played by any of the acts wearing these get-ups spoke to, in any real way, the lives of this country’s actual dirt poor. Sadly, they only offer a monochromatic, shabby-chic makeover.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#3Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 1:11pm

Well, I couldn't watch because within the first 30 seconds she was JUST flat enough in pitch that I couldn't stand it. Sorry, but I'm DOUBLY glad she's NOT involved.

". . . POP . . ."

masterwolfie
#4Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 1:21pm

That was probably one of her better live performances, but if you compare her to some of her fellow performers last night, even within her own genre (ie, The Band Perry, The Civil Wars, Carrie Underwood) her performance seemed weak and she was still on the pitchy side. Maybe that's okay for her own concerts and even the Grammys, but musical theatre calls for consistent pitch perfect performances. Also, while "Mean" is a really catchy, well-written song, it's not exactly a challenging song to sing either.

And I hate to be snarky, but as for that backdrop...barricades anyone?

Updated On: 2/13/12 at 01:21 PM

NYTheatre01 Profile Photo
NYTheatre01
#5Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 2:13pm

Sorry...Taylor is sweet and beautiful, but she just can't stay on pitch !

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#6Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 2:32pm

I'll admit her live singing voice has tremendously improved from where it used to be. But that's really not saying much.

I'm glad she is nowhere near Les Miz.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#7Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 2:45pm

And can someone tell me why after all the awards and recognition she has received she still acts so surprised when she wins. Same after this performance she acted surprised that the audience liked it.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

beautywickedlover
#8Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 5:04pm

I really enjoyed her performance last night. I would've like to have seen what she would've done with the role of Eponine in the film. At least, I'll be able to see her provide the voices for one of the characters in 'The Lorax' this year.

If the 'Into the Woods' film were to be made I'd like to see her play Little Red Riding Hood.

Updated On: 9/13/12 at 05:04 PM

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#9Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/13/12 at 5:52pm

masterwolfie I thought barricades too! I'm thrilled she's out of the Les Miz world, at least for now...

Hanna from Hamburg
#10Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 7:39am

Taylor is too old and too tall and too skinny to be Red in ITW. I'm sure it sounds like I'm a TS hater, and I'm NOT. There are just certain things that she's not right for.

". . . POP . . ."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#11Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 7:50am

She's great. Samantha's great. There are lots of great young women out there. If only they could all play Eponine in the movie. But they can't.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#12Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 8:15am

I thought the Grammy performance was Taylor Swift at her absolute best. Unfortunately, Taylor Swift's absolute best is just an inch above mediocrity.

I want her so far away from the Les Mis movie that Cameron Mackintosh actually comes to her tour bus and confiscates any cast recording that she might have just so we don't potentially hear her humming a bar on the red carpet and E! happens to pick it up in the background while they interview a more talented vocalist like the Antoine Dodson or potentially that Cockatoo on the Geico commercial who sings "Take On Me".

Hanna from Hamburg
#13Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 8:29am

Well, maybe (since she writes songs) she will write her own version of "On My Own" to fit her 4 note range. Record it and win a Grammy and show EVERYONE!

". . . POP . . ."

beautywickedlover
#14Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 12:49pm

"Taylor is too old and too tall and too skinny to be Red in ITW."

She would have to gain a little bit of weight, but she can still easily pull off playing a teenager. Lea Michele is 25 years old and she still looks young enough to play a teenager in high school on 'Glee'. Also her castmates Mark Saling and Corey Monteith are both 29 years old and they are also both playing teenagers in high school.

Hanna from Hamburg
#15Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 12:58pm

I paired those 3 things together for a reason: It's LITTLE Red Riding Hood. Swift is almost 6 feet tall. The weight is because Red is supposed to be pink and plump (meaning, kind of a chubby little girl). As far as age is concerned, the "I Know Things Now" is hard to be believable if the girl is much more than 14. Pulling that off on stage is MUCH different than on camera.

Glee . . . there's so much suspension of belief on that show. It's definitely an alternate universe on many levels.

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 2/14/12 at 12:58 PM

beautywickedlover
#16Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 1:20pm

^ How old was Beverly Rudd who played Little Red Riding Hood in the London Open Air Theatre production? She definitely did not look like a 14 year old to me.

Hanna from Hamburg
#17Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 1:28pm

That was a stage production which HAPPENED to be filmed.

EDIT: And the director took liberties with the Red / Wolf "relationship" which isn't normally explored. She ALSO appears to have been selected by the director with a completely different intent (e.g., like the adults playing children in Blood Brothers). I don't get a sense that he was trying to trick the audience into thinking she was a young girl.

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 2/14/12 at 01:28 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Taylor Swift on the Grammys
Posted: 2/14/12 at 6:31pm

The leads on Glee LOOK like HS kids? Where?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.