pixeltracker

Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances

Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 7:58pm

Bye bye Ken's Tweet Seats

"The new law bans the use of mobile phones in "any indoor theater, library, museum, gallery, motion picture theater, concert hall or building in which theatrical, musical, dance, motion picture, lecture or other similar performances are exhibited."

Passed by the City Council, which overrode a veto by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who said the ban was unenforceable, the law carries a fine of $50 for offenders who are caught and cited.

The legislation was first proposed by theater owners whose patrons complained of cell phones ringing during performances."

Looks like the Reuters article is from 2003, but the law went into effect February 19th.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cell-Phones-Banned-in-NYC-Performances-20120221

https://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/04/13/broadway.cellphone.ban.reut/

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 2/21/12 at 07:58 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#2Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:03pm

That article is from April 2003.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#2Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:03pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cell-Phones-Banned-in-NYC-Performances-20120221

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Broadway Joe
#3Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:06pm

Ah ok, that makes more sense now.

So I don't agree with cell phones being used during the performances but does this also include before the show and at intermission? Cause I think it's fine to use them at those times.

My bigger question is where is this fine money going?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:07pm

The Reuters article doesn't mention anything about the law going into effect in 2012, though.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 2/21/12 at 08:07 PM

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#5Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:08pm

I concur. Before a show and during intermission is fine, but during a show is just classless.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

colleen_lee
#6Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:08pm

The BWW article is also quoting the Reuters article from 2003. A Google search didn't turn up any other more current news sources.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#7Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:09pm

Looks like the Reuters article is from 2003, but the law went into effect February 19th.

colleen_lee
#8Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:11pm

The law has been in effect since April of 2003 but it is unenforceable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/13/nyregion/13phones.html

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/77873-Cell-Phones-Banned-in-New-York-City-Theatres

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:12pm

Did it, though?

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=438473&GUID=0F292F60-68E7-4F14-A3B5-749D431930A4&Options=&Search=

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 2/21/12 at 08:12 PM

Broadway Joe
#10Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:13pm

Also, how do you really enforce this at a show? For example, if someones cell phone goes off and the usher has to remove that person from the middle of a row just to give them a ticket would cause more of a distraction then someone just shutting their phone off.

Also, how do ushers have any right to write up tickets?

This whole thing just seems more trouble then it's actually worth.

colleen_lee
#11Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:15pm

That's what the Times article from 2004 was saying. You have to find a police officer to write the ticket, and by the time the theater rounds up an officer the offending patron is long gone. It is a totally unenforceable law which is why we didn't realize it has been in existence for nine years.

Updated On: 2/21/12 at 08:15 PM

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#12Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:15pm

Thanks LizzieCurry for that link. Guess BWW got it wrong?

#13Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:29pm

Sorry folks, this article was inadvertently posted while it was being written and turned into a reader poll....which is now up for discussion!

wexy
#14Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:44pm

I did go to a screening at BAM where we had to check our phones because the director didn't want anyone filming anything.
People were bugging out.. They did it efficiently but this was for a 200 seat theater.
The strangest thing was that when the credits rolled, the theater was dark and not lit up with people checking their phones as the movie ended.
Got my phone back without a problem but they aren't have 2000 people check their phones and wait on line when the play ends.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:54pm

Got my phone back without a problem but they aren't have 2000 people check their phones and wait on line when the play ends.

I disagree. If you HAVE to bring you phone with you, they can find a system to check them in, like you do with your coat and with some sort of setting to identify emergencies - that is not the problem. The thing is that nowadays people think that phones have the value of oxygen, and would have a heart attack without them.

Funny, people attended decades of theater without bringing in any phones and I am sure they were fine by the time the performance ended. It seems that we lost the attention span to sit through a performance without having to check how the rest of world is holding up.

I personally can't think of anything more annoying and trashy than someone checking their phone during a performance.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

wexy
#16Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:15pm

blaxx, no one has attention spans, nobody can watch what they went to see. I went to see a concert Saturday night at Webster Hall and people aren't listening to who is singing, they are screaming at each other. Can't you talk after a 60 minute set.?

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:15pm

But you can't even enforce everyone checking their phones. They won't check them if they don't want to.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:23pm

Sorry, I'm confused. If I check my iPhone, does that mean I need to go back to using a minidisc recorder?

Updated On: 2/21/12 at 09:23 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:50pm

But you can't even enforce everyone checking their phones. They won't check them if they don't want to.

Perhaps, but it would make the law a lot easier to enforce. If you were warned that not checking it in will cost you a fine and the embarrassment, maybe you'd think twice about using it.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#20Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:52pm

Will there be a body search to find the phone, lol?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:58pm

The theatre owners would have to employ a house law enforcement officer to attend each performance, just as they do security, box office, custodians and house management.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 10:02pm

Will there be a body search to find the phone, lol?

No, but I guarantee that an article of a show stopped and an arrest resulting in a fine would have an impact. If LuPone, Jackman, etc. can stop their own shows to spot those who are getting away with it, there has to be a consequence.

I guarantee that a couple of arrests would make audience members think twice, but that is not the problem - a house manager can kick someone out if he/she wanted to. The problem is that producers would never go there because they fear it would keep these zombies away from the theaters.

The sad thing is that there are still some of us who will sadly have to stand a lady, with her bare feet on the front seat, talking and texting through a show while eating nachos and getting drunk. And it will only get worse from there.

The big issue is that shows have become so expensive to produce that no one can risk enforcing a law that could result in losing funds. It is about the profit, who cares who can see and hear and enjoy what is onstage as long as everyone has already paid?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#23Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 10:09pm

the entire issue is so complicated. Never mind confiscating a phone, we can't even delete a picture when a patron is caught taking one. The patron has to do it themselves while house staff watches.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#24Cell Phones Banned in NYC Performances
Posted: 2/21/12 at 10:35pm

But hey can now put up big warnings telling everyone that they are criminals. That should get the point across.