pixeltracker

Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request

Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#1Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/13/12 at 11:15pm

I have always stayed at The Belvedere Hotel or The Edison Hotel when traveling to NYC. I have never traveled with kids and I'm thinking of bringing my niece and nephew (ages 12 and 13).

The Edison Hotel has had visitors post complaints online about bedbugs and The Belvedere has gone up in price. I am looking for something around $200-$250 a night in the Times Square area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#2Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 2:30am

I've stayed at the Michaelangelo on my last couple of trips and really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for a deep tub after a long day hoofing it around the city. And the location could not be more convenient. (57th at 7th I think.)

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#2Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 2:51am

Check out Travel Zoo. They have some good rates at the renovated Milford (God--I hope they put in New Elevators) and a Great deal at the Mela Hotel. I just booked my June trip and got the Mela for $169 or you can get a BKFT package for $189 a night. Must be booked by March 14th or 15th Respectively. Does NOT require prepayment!!
Travel Zoo NYC Hotel Deals

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 5:33am

Now that the Milford has finally redone the rooms -- it's nice. (But no, the elevators are still incredibly slow.

The Mela is quite nice as well! I'd look up the specials listed above.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#4Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 6:07am

I just booked my May trip at Hotel Mela using Travelzoo discount! It has great Tripadvisor reviews

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#5Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 7:21am

The Herald Square Hotel

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#6Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 8:23am

You'd be shocked at how low of a rate you can get at the Waldorf=Astoria on Priceline. A total steal at under $200.

tatter47
#7Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 9:07am

I like staying at The Hotel@Times Square at 59 W. 46th St.
Go to Applecorehotels.com and select this hotel. It is cheaper to book directly with the owners. Check the reviews at Tripadvisor. A good choice.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#8Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 9:31am

Another great Applecore hotel you can find on the same site is the Ramada Eastside. It's in Murray Hill, so it's a slightly further walk, but I think it's a little nicer and the rates are a cheaper.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ChildrenwillListen
#9Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 10:29am

I absolutely LOVE staying at the Marriott in Times Square. Its REALLY expensive there which is why I don't stay there as much anymore but it's so worth it.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#10Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 10:52am

I hear the fine people at the Hotel Carter have actually been working hard to bring up the standard of their establishment. Is this true? Can anyone confirm, or are all of us still too frightened to enter?

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

theaterfangirl
#11Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 11:13am

Thanks for the tip on the TravelZoo deals! I had already booked for the end of June for the Milford, but rebooking with that code saved us $220!

Hopefully the hotel is decent...the slow elevators just mean we'll have to leave our room a little earlier. LOL

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#12Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 3:54pm

I visit NYC often and most of the time use Hotwire to book. I usually pay between $150 and $225 for a 4 or 4.5 star hotel in the Times Square area (Crowne Plaza, Sofitel, Intercontinental, etc.). Midtown East is a relatively easy walk and I've stayed at the St. Giles Court, Barclay, W, Alex and others for $150 - $175. You can use the site betterbidding to determine which hotels are being offered since Hotwire withholds the name until after you pay. Sometimes I like to stay on Central Park and the Jumeriah Essex House appears often on quikbook in the low 200's.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#13Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 4:11pm

Thanks so much for your responses. Great suggestions. I will be sure to look into all the hotels mentioned. Keep the suggestions coming!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#14Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 4:45pm

When my mom and sister came to visit around Christmas, they stayed at the Staybridge not too far from Port Authority. It was pretty nice, has been recently renovated and wasn't too expensive (even for the holiday season). Plus, free wine/snacks every night in the lobby, and free breakfast in the morning -- full breakfast, not just a couple of danishes and coffee.

Updated On: 3/14/12 at 04:45 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#15Sorry! Another Hotel Suggestion Request
Posted: 3/14/12 at 6:57pm

Exactly. I use Hotwire and Priceline (more Hotwire these days) in conjunction with betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com and come up with unbeatable prices.

One caution - their star ratings (esp Hotwire) can be a bit questionable - so read the bidding advice boards for strategies to avoid some of the more dubious ratings choices. (Not uncommon for a 3 star hotel to be rated 4)