#2NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:11pm

Well I'm shocked.

SHOCKED, I say.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:11pm

It'll probably extend again through September, if not become open-ended outright.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jonwo
#3NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:15pm

Not a surprise considering it's selling well, the extention a bit short but I guess Disney are waiting for the reviews to see before making it an open run.

bwayfan7000
#4NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:16pm

Everyone knew this was coming, but it's still exciting! Good for them.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#5NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:44pm

Oh, what did I do with my surprised face?

(In all seriousness, congrats to everyone involved)

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 3:02pm

yes! not exactly suprised, but I was also hoping for a longer extension. maybe they'll wait until the reviews come out & the Tony nominations to extend again(next extension should probably be until the end of the year).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ILuv2shop531
#7NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 10:18pm

A friend told me they can't extend past a certain date because another show has the theater in the fall...does anyone know any truth to that?

Jonwo
#8NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/19/12 at 10:26pm

Given that the Nederlander Theatre hasn't a hit show since Rent, I doubt Newsies would be kicked out of the Nederlander in favour of another show, I imagine the show booked for the fall will move to another theatre, it's happened before, Next to Normal switched theatres before it moved to Broadway as did The People in the Picture which was meant to be open at the American Airlines but when The Importance of Being Ernest did great business, they moved it to Studio 54,

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/20/12 at 12:23am

Nice.
Good to see talented people working on a show that gets audiences excited.
I hope the dancers last and stay healthy. Harvey will be on their asses if they start missing.

Reviews and TONY noms will not extend the run.
Strong B.O. and an advance (which I hear is good) will.

pariswho Profile Photo
pariswho
#10NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/21/12 at 12:43am

SO happy about this. I really hope the open-run becomes a possibility.

TexanAddams18
#11NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/26/12 at 9:16pm

@Broadway_Buzz is reporting disney adding another extension through october

Updated On: 3/26/12 at 09:16 PM

Jonwo
#12NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/26/12 at 9:20pm

Why don't Disney go the whole hog and just make it an open run? I guess they're waiting until the reviews to see if it has an effect on sales.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#13NEWSIES Extends Through August 19, 2012
Posted: 3/26/12 at 9:20pm

I don't understand why they don't just make it an open-run at this point. That will allow people to purchase tickets crazy far in advance which certainly is important when a show is selling so well. It also simplifies contract renewal/extensions. Last year, despite solid box office returns toward the end of the run, THE NORMAL HEART was forced to close since it wasn't an open-ended run and much of the cast had other commitments. If Jeremy Jordan or anyone else is in high demand, that could become a problem.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

Videos