Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards

REALstr8
#25Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:38pm

STOP RCCL from performing on the Tony Awards

MazingerZ
#26Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:45pm

I think we should all send Emails to the Tony Awards/The Wing, expressing our dislike and concern. They have a link for feedback that we should all use. Let's inundate their office with Emails! The link is http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/feedback/index.html

Updated On: 6/4/12 at 01:45 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#27Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:46pm

FIGHT BACK AT EVERY LEVEL!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#28Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:48pm

OCCUPY TONY

We need to organize this protest. Someone call Hunter and Cuddles stat!

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:53pm

Updated On: 6/4/12 at 01:53 PM

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#30Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 1:55pm

I wonder if there's a reason Carol Channing and LL Cool J are the overseers of the feedback page...

Jordan Catalano
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#32Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 2:05pm

RCP's Hairspray

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#33Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 2:10pm

I wonder what Hunter and Bootsie think about all this.

lightguy06222
#34Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 2:50pm

i think its pretty cool. this is the 1st ever fully licensed musical production at sea. The venue looks beautiful, the scenic design looks good, the cast looks talented... lets see what they got...

I'm open and receptive to what the HAIRSPRAY Boat team has got to offer. lets see if they're legit.

JohnyBroadway
#35Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 3:08pm

I rather see Gavin Creel perform "I Believe" to promote the Book of Mormon National Tour.

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#36Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 3:14pm

Before you start the protest, read the article again. Royal Carribean is a major sponsor of the Tony Awards (commercials, VIP lounges, etc). There is no way CBS will pull the plug on "Hairspray."

I did see this production when the Oasis of the Seas first sailed and was quite surprised by the high quality of the production. I was not expecting it to be as good as it was; and I'm a picky bastard.

And, even though this may not be a current Broadway show, it could get some folks interested in live theater who may never have been exposed to it before taking the cruise.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#37Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 3:28pm

Updated On: 6/4/12 at 03:28 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#38Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 3:29pm

Unless this is an attempt to say Hairspray's making it's way back to Broadway soon - I'm not interested, even if I do love Hairspray.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#39Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 3:36pm

This is what being a major sponsor of the telecast will get you.

RCCL is a sponsor of the telecast, and this is what they get in return. Like it or not.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#40Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 4:15pm

I choose not.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#41Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 4:49pm

Sometimes I get seasick.

Phyllis; what do you have against Beth Level???

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#42Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 4:58pm

Well if you want the Tony Awards to say F you to the advertisers, you can always have a Tony Awards that aren't telecast.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Royal Caribbean's Hairspray, but I could never work up any sense of outrage or indignation like so many here. Like, who cares?

Also, it's probably better than Lysistrata Jones was, so we can at least be thankful LJ isn't performing.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:11pm

There are some very talented people who have worked (and are currently working) on cruise ships.

What if it's good?

Jordan Catalano
#44Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:17pm

I think the point is that it doesn't matter if it's good or not. There's enough on Broadway that's not getting to be showcased on a telecast celebrating BROADWAY that when they pull shlt like this, it's just a slap in the face to other productions who should get to show off their stuff.

dale-baker Profile Photo
dale-baker
#45Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:20pm

As a long time member and reader of these boards, and a current cruise ship performer I wanted to make a few comments on this thread.

I don't perform with RCCL but I do work for another major cruise-line. I don't understand all the negativity about working aboard ships. We have guaranteed contracts, our shows are not going to post a closing notice anytime soon. After we finish a contract in good standing we get to have a say in our next contract and how long of a vacation we will take. We have full health benefits. We get paid quite a competitive salary to union contracts when you factor in our housing and food which is included. My cabin steward cleans my room daily and a waiter serves me my food. We have full guest privileges and can make use of all the amenities aboard the ship. On top of that I have travelled to over 40 ports of call and seen so much of the world while getting paid for it. I have also worked with incredibly talented people and made contacts from around the world for future gigs. I also have had many cast members finish their contracts and land national tours, west end, and broadway work. Overall it's a pretty stable entertainment career and I don't understand all the negative press.

However, regarding the performance of Hairpsray...

It is obviously a commercial endeavor as RCCL is co-sponsoring the show. They have obviously put in a lot of advertising money to launch their new campaign and to attract future cruisers. RCCL does put on some pretty fantastic shows because they can invest a lot of money into them knowing they will run on their ships for 5-10 years. However I agree that this an inappropriate time for them to perform when there are many touring, regional, and off broadway productions that could use the exposure, not a multi billion dollar corporation. However let's all remember it's called "show BUSINESS."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:23pm

Everyone already decided it wasn't good or that anyone involved could be talented, PJ. Try to keep up. I think I speak for us all when I say we'd be better off with the Tonys not being aired at all than allow a sponsor's production be featured on the telecast for a couple of minutes. Precious minutes that could have been devoted to a show that most people have already forgotten how much they hate. This is a slap in the face to all the flops that closed already on Broadway. Except Leap of Faith which thankfully, will get some well-deserved air time. It's not about quality, it's about principle.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#47Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:30pm

Personally, for me it doesn't matter whether it's bad or good. I'm sure it's great, as far as Hairspray goes... it's the point that it's a 10+ year old show. Why do we need to see something we've already seen for no good reason, other than the cruise line is a sponsor? To get more people to the theatre? I'm sorry, aren't they already allegedly doing that with the line up they have?

It seems like every other time the TONYS make a decision, the excuse is always "Well, it might get more people to the theatre...". I highly doubt that this number from Hairspray will catch the eye of a non-theatre goer any more than any other show performing that night.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#48Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:42pm

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD BOYCOTT THE AWARDS SHOW. DO NOT WATCH

Jordan Catalano
#49Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/12 at 5:44pm

I'm going to boycott that performance by pausing it until it's over and then fast forwarding right through it while singing a song from a show PLAYING ON BROADWAY.