News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

How do you audition for a Broadway show?

How do you audition for a Broadway show?

defyinggravity2 Profile Photo
defyinggravity2
#1How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 7:53am

Hi Guys. I would really like to know how you audition to be on Broadway. I have always dreamed since I was young to be on Broadway, but I could never find an audition. Thanks!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#2How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 8:18am

Since few shows hold open auditions, the main way is through an agent.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 8:37am

I believe for a musical audition knowing how to sing and dance is a good start.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#3How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 8:42am

Yes, there's also that ^^ :P

Actually acting and singing are the two most important since you don't HAVE to be able to dance to be in musical theatre.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 8:48am

First you have to train your instrument. This may take years of dedicated and hard work and sacrifice.

Then you can worry about the business side like how to score an audition or an agent/manager.

Based on the generality of your question I'm assuming you don't know much about the business. At this stage I suggest reading some literature about the business of theater to get a foundation of the basics.

....but the world goes 'round

mybestaudition
#5How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 10:32am

Anyone can audition for Broadway. Ideally you've had enough training and experience that you're ready, but I've been to many auditions where it seems like people just walked in off the street.

To find auditions, go to playbill.com/jobs and actorsequity.org. The auditions are listed with breakdowns of what they are looking for, the time/date/location and what to prepare (i.e. song/monologue)

If you don't have your Equity card you have to show up early! Some non-eq's show up as early as 5 am. You will wait in a separate line. After all the Equity people have been seen, the casting director can decide whether they want to see non-eq's. They are not required to, so there is no guarantee. Sometimes you wait all day and don't get seen.

To make sure you get seen, join Equity. (Which you can't really do unless you're booking Equity jobs so it's a bit of a catch 22.) Having your card doesn't mean life gets easier. You still have to wait in line early in the AM, but at least you KNOW you'll get seen.

Having an agent is even better because they can just get an appointment for you so there are no lines involved.

Good luck.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#6How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 12:14pm

The easiest way to obtain your equity card is to spend your summers working in summer stock, get equity points, and become an EMC ( Equity membership candidate program). The only way you can skip that step is if you audition and get hired for a show that is equity and if they want you bad enough for the show they [Equity] will give you your card.

Audition for Straw Hat and MWTA and get professional jobs to build your resume and obtain those EMC points.

Get your BFA in Musical Theater. There are tons of good schools for MTP, and many of which will have a senior showcase with many agents and casting directors in attendance ready to sign clients and hire actors.

Go to tons of open calls. Every show on broadway is required to do auditions once or twice a year ( they just rarely hire anyone from those mandatory auditions). They are usually EPA's and ECC's but they will sometimes see EMC's and Non-Eqs.

If you're non-eq or an EMC- Chicago could be your good friend. They tend to always see non eq's and the lines are never nearly as long.

This is of course if you can sing and act, sing and dance, or are a true triple threat....

Updated On: 6/14/12 at 12:14 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 12:58pm

And to be honest, you can't have looked all that hard. BWW itself lists Equity and non=Equity auditions.

Just look on the menu on the left under FEATURES. The first two are auditions.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:05pm

The OP needs to learn how to breathe without being told to do so, first.

Baby steps.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:16pm

First you listen to Debbie Gravitte sing "Welcome to the Theatre" from the musical Applause:

http://youregonnalovetomorrow.tumblr.com/post/21855301479/debbie-shapiro-gravitte-gives-the-best-sung

Then you watch Bonnie Franklin and the original cast of Applause perform the title number:

http://youtu.be/xCMcD1LzWjA

THEATRICAL100
#13How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:35pm

Considering your profile is a picture from wicked and you started a thread about auditioning for broadway shows, as a another poster said, you obviously didn't do your research. There are several outlets to "attempt" Broadway

Marla: I have to go sing about a life I never led.

THEATRICAL100
#14How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:35pm

Considering your profile is a picture from wicked and you started a thread about auditioning for broadway shows, as a another poster said, you obviously didn't do your research. There are several outlets to "attempt" Broadway

Marla: I have to go sing about a life I never led.

Jon
#15How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 1:47pm

Here's the other Catch-22 about the EMC program: I know dozens of actors in Chicago who constantly got hired as non-Equity performers by big Equity houses. Once they accumulated their 50 weeks of credits, they joined Equity, and never could get hired again.

One was in the Goodman's Christmas Carol for five years in a row as a non-equity. The next year, he auditioned as an Equity member, and they were no longer interested in hiring him.

Those who can't,post
#16How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:14pm

After you have looked up auditions and prepared for them appropriately, the best piece of advice I can offer is to continue to have faith and brace yourself emotionally.
If auditioning isn't already demanding in it of itself, it doesn't get any easier knowing that this is unfortunately an industry full of people like "Theatrical100" and "TheatreDiva" who make themselves feel important by making insults and negative comments instead of simply trying to help an aspiring artist who lacks the know how. If this is a career you seriously want to peruse then again...

1)Practice (for as long as you live!)
2)Research audition opportunities mentioned in previous posts
3) Believe in your dream. It is certainly and long but rewarding journey.

Best of luck!!!! : )

Updated On: 6/14/12 at 02:14 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#17How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:19pm

Jon, while what you say is true, presumably most folks seeking the Equity card are not interested in a life in the theatre consisting of being in a Christmas show. Unless you are among the lucky ones who get their card because you are cast in a Broadway show, getting the card is a logical step in an aspirational career.

Jon
#18How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 3:13pm

Yes, but perhaps it's better to get the card the the EMC process, then get straight to New York, where there are more Equity jobs. In towns like Chicago, the same 25 or so Equity actors seem to get cast over and over, while there are a few dozen who are lucky to get one 4-week run of a show in a year, and hundreds who NEVER get cast.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#20How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 3:37pm

The most helpful video I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UPzuQvFjE

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#21How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 4:03pm

JuliesPoo,

Whipe your chin

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 6/14/12 at 04:03 PM

bwaylvsong
#18How do you audition for a Broadway show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 4:25pm

I'd say to definitely get your equity card or at least EMC points before moving to NY. I've lived here my whole life, have done 3 off-off-broadway shows, and am still lowest on the totem pole of getting seen. My friends who grew up elsewhere, did summer programs that got them EMC points, and moved here after college are having a much easier time getting auditions than me. I really regret not doing one of those summer programs, even though I feel it is unfair to have to pay to work, it would have been worth it for the points.

Videos