pixeltracker

Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music- Page 3

Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#50Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 8:56am

I'll never understand why people assume those who don't enjoy an actor's performance don't because they aren't the original. It can't possibly be that simplistic!

I've defended Roger on here before because, as much as I'd fight for people's right to an opinion, it started to get real ugly at one point, with people saying she cannot sing at all and is a no-talent. That's not only unfair, it's untrue. And I'm not thrilled with the way she sounds on the new cast recording but being a no-talent and a non-singer have nothing to do with it. You know, there IS such a thing as an actor just not fitting well into a role. Doesn't necessarily = no-talent.

I understand how people can get frustrated and attack LuPone, but realize you're just as small-minded in doing that as those who say Roger has no talent at all and can't sing.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#51Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 9:10am

I honestly prefer the movie soundtrack. Having seen both the original Broadway production and the current revival, and after having watched the recently released Blu-ray, I'm convinced more than ever that this material works best on film. Antonio's performance has everything going for it that Ricky's is lacking, and Madonna gave an outstanding performance, vocal and otherwise. Then again, I don't hold the material is as high a regard as do so many here. I mean...come on. This isn't Mozart. It's ALW for crips sake!

Updated On: 6/27/12 at 09:10 AM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#52Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 9:52am

I agree with Scorpion and My Oh My. When I saw the show, Roger hit every note perfectly. I think what most people mean when they say she can't sing the role is that they don't like the way she sings the role--which is a perfectly fair opinion to have.

For the record, I am a HUGE fan of LuPone, and the original production starring her was the first Bway show I ever saw. (And incidentally, apart from the low notes on the phrase "star quality," she pretty much sounded as she did on the OBCR.) That will always be my favorite Eva. But I think Roger is wonderful.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#53Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 9:59am

I just skimmed through many of the tracks, and on the whole it seems so safe and proper. They're crisply pronouncing every word as if they just stumbled out of an elocution class into a recording booth.

I don't hear much passion or characterization. No grit or raw emotion. No real spark (unless crispness = spark). It seems rather academic and technical. They get an "A" for execution, organization, and efficiency, but a "D" for impact.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Reginald Tresilian
#54Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 10:21am

Besty, I think that's the problem with the production as a whole. It's rather stately and pageant-like.

Though I actually think Roger sounds much more fiery than when I saw the show in previews.

emlodik Profile Photo
emlodik
#55Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 10:42am

This version is jarring, I agree, especially for those so familiar with Hal Prince's take on the material and all other productions that cannibalized it, but overall it works. As mentioned by Scorpion, the Broadway revival production went one step further and made it even "statelier" and softer, so the libretto is beginning to lose its edge. I'm just worrying that the modern productions are moving away from the original concept towards the movie version, and I will spare you my other trademark rant on why I hate the movie version, LOL! Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music

I also knew the cast recording would turn out pedestrian at best when I heard that RUG handed the producing over to Broadway Masterworks, so we a got a generic low-budget by-the-numbers cast albums. Say what you will about RUG and Andrew Lloyd Webber, but at least they put out fantastic cast recordings, save for the utter disaster that was the original London recording of "Sunset Boulevard."

Still, in a way, I feel Elena triumphs over all of it. She's the most authentic Eva ever presented on stage, especially now, seeing how she is currently a fish-out-of-the-water who got inserted into an elitist crowd and has become both highly praised and derided for her work... Almost metaphysical.

"But your despicable class is dead! Look who they are calling for now!"

The Scorpion
#56Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:48am

Although I love the production, one problem I *do* have with it (it was like this in London too) is the removal of the line "But your despicable class is dead! Look who they are calling for now!". I can't understand why Grandage would remove it; it's not anti-Peronist if he wanted to tone down the negative propaganda and it continues the motif of Eva's war against the upper classes, the music even showing this as it's the same music that accompanies the "Screw the middle classes" line. And for some reason the remark that provokes that from Eva on the concept album and in the original production ("Things have reached a pretty pass...") is given to Che, which makes no sense at all. Why would he care whether someone "pretty lower class can be respected and admired"? Surely he's more interested in what she stands for rather than what her class origins are.

But yes, it seems not only Che, but Eva has been somewhat whitewashed in the transition to Broadway. Overall it was grittier in London. Although I approve of a lot of the staging changes that have been made, one I didn't like was a small difference in 'And the Money Kept Rolling In". When Eva presented money for the first time in that number, she looked mean as hell while she was giving it and handed the money over with a robotic, machine-like action without even looking at the recipient. On Broadway, and as seen in the Tony performance, she just hands the money over in a very natural, almost generous way. No sign of the evil grin she had in London. I really miss that because it kept the two pro- and anti-Eva ideas floating about at the same time. It was a really ambiguous moment which I thought highlighted the genius of the piece: you don't know how to react to her (which is a bad thing for many critics of the show, but I find it a strength) because on the one hand she's giving out money, while on the other, you begin to question what on earth is her motivation for doing it.

Updated On: 6/27/12 at 11:48 AM

Reginald Tresilian
#57Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 11:50am

I noticed that, too. I always thought it was a fairly important moment, and I was shocked when it didn't happen.

danf902
#58Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 12:02pm

Wouldn't it be delicious and wonderful if there were message boards 30-40 year ago, and we could read the obsessive nightly bitching about Patti Lupone's screechy vocals because she couldn't sing the score properly, and how much better Terri Klausner was [which by many accounts she was].

Patti Lupone is remarkable, but even SHE has freely and constantly admitted she didn't sound like the OBCR or Tony Awards most of the time. From some audience reports [and reviews], she screeched through the score much like almost every woman to come after her.

I think Elena Roger is a dynamo performer, and she blew me away in this show. I adored her performance. No, her vocals weren't perfect, but i thought that SHE was. I'm a fan for life.

Rainbow High2 Profile Photo
Rainbow High2
#59Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 1:42pm

I thought the album was overall good. It wasn't phenomenal and it wasn't bad. It was good.

I did not like Ricky Martin's take on Che. I really didn't. His vowels were horrible and many times he would switch back to talking...I just did not like it. But, I liked his "Waltz for Eva and Che" but that was about it for Ricky.

I actually really liked Elena's Eva. It was no match to Patti, but they are TWO DIFFERENT people. Two different voices. She put a lot of emotion into it, and I really liked that. Her "New Argentina" was greatly lacking, but her verses in "Dice are Rolling" were amazing. Absolutely heartbreaking. I thought she did pretty well as Eva. I liked her in this much better than the 2006 revival.

And Michael. Michael was AMAZING! His take on Juan Peron was astounding! His "She is a Diamond" broke my heart. It was sung beautifully. He was perfect for the role.

Max and Rachel were both fantastic. I loved "Eva, Beware of the City"

I liked this album. I think I've listened to it twice all the way through already.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#60Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 1:50pm

^I actually think Elena sounds a lot like Elaine Paige sometimes when she's going for the high notes. Maybe it's just me.

MazingerZ
#61Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 2:11pm

Ricky Martin's rendition of "Oh What a Circus" brings Broadway to a new low. Overall, Elena Roger and the production come across as flat. No passion, no true emotion, no point of view, no specificity. Everything sounds so stylized and technical, but no fire. This cast album can put one to sleep. Evita used to work because the larger-than-life intensity of the lead characters, reached almost operatic proportions. In this version, they just sound so casual, measured, and bland, that it is truly uninteresting. Elena Roger's voice is at moments unbearable, and her Spanish rendition of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" is awful. The phrasing and tempo are bad. Why is the song rushed like that? For Spanish, stick to Paloma San Basilio in the Original Madrid Cast Album. Now that's singing with intentions, grace, beauty, and moment-to-moment passion!

Updated On: 6/27/12 at 02:11 PM

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#62Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 7:45pm

As far as the whole LuPone vs. Roger argument goes in general, I encourage you all to go research Eva Peron and read up about her. I did an entire project on her for a class and it's pretty darn clear that Roger is more like Eva than LuPone could ever dream of being. Not saying she wasn't fantastic or anything, because she was, but we also need to remember that this is a completely different production too. It's time to move on.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#63Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 7:59pm

Did you actually see LuPone's Evita?

....but the world goes 'round

CATSNYrevival
#64Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 8:18pm

The CD definitely sounds a lot better than the steam, but the ensemble still sounds weird to me. I think they did something on purpose to make them sound more like a large crowd, but the effect is lost on me. They just sound far away.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#65Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/27/12 at 8:27pm

I can't get throughout it. It is so boring.

phantomvegas2
#66Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:19am

Saw Ms. LuPone in the role 7 times. Saw Ms. Roger 7 times. Read every tedious biography. Have since it's release, kept myself breathing through the hell that is the film version twice. Dirty shame we only have limited recordings released to us of the original Hal Prince production with Ms. LuPone and Mr. Patinkin... but there is no question, when sitting in that theatre, that Ms. Roger is Eva. Much prefer the original production... you, me, and every other old queen... but younger generations will be telling their kids of their experience... whether or not Mr. Martin is brought up in those conversations, well we can hope for the best.

CATSNYrevival
#67Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:35am

^I don't know about that. If anything, I feel like youtube has only solidified the strength of Patti's performance for later generations. I watch "Rainbow High" in awe and can only imagine what it must have been like to see that live in the theatre.

phantomvegas2
#68Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:53am

CATSNYREVIVAL Of course it all comes down to opinion. But honestly, we've been so lucky that we've been given two actresses that sing instead of some bloody name. And we can talk about the identical vocal struggles the actresses have had and who has the better voice at the end of the day... But it makes me smile to read of both actresses being backed up. Just two fine actresses that display Eva's soul in the spotlight using their god given talents to the best of their ability.

Jamminman
#69Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 6/29/12 at 11:24pm

Evita has always been one of my favorite shows, and I was so looking forward to adding this CD to my collection. Unfortunately I am not in NY and haven't had a chance to see this production yet, but the CD is extremely disappointing. Ceveris is an ok Peron, the accent is a little put-on and thick, but he sings in tune. Ricky Martin is a pretty talented vocalist but his acting and line readings sound amateur and awkward. Rachel Potter has a beautiful voice and sings the best "Another Suitcase" I've heard. Elena Roger, hmmmm, I think she sounds great when she is singing in her range, but there are many parts that are painful to listen to. "A New Argentina" is a disaster and I completely understand why they didn't do it at the Tonys. As a general rule, if you have to use pitch correction on vocals, you cannot leave any artifacts, and the engineer of this album ignored that rule on "A New Argentina." They elongated her words and completely changed her pitch, worst on "I've found my salvation in Peron may the nation..." She sounds like a robot chipmunk!

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#70Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 7/2/12 at 12:14am

I may be shot for this but I love Elena as Eva.

From what I read in recent weeks I couldn't help but think this show was a wreck. However, with the exception of Ricky Martin, I am quite enjoying this new recording. I love the power behind Max Von Essen's voice, I dig anything with Michael Cerveris, and a very much enjoy Elena's unique vocals in this recording. Her accent, her diction, her vibrato. It isn't your "typical" Broadway actress performance or voice. She gives something I haven't heard before and I appreciate and applaud her for that. She's not trying to be LuPone or Covington and that's what I love. Patti's belt is legendary but I wouldn't want it emulated or repeated in this cast recording.

Elena brings something completely all her own to the recording - and it's an improvement over her 2006 take. I like that I get to hear Eleana be tender and soft when she should be in the character. Eva Peron herself was a very self-conscious woman who sought approval, and even had her assistant sleep in her room with her on the Rainbow Tour. She wasn't always a powerhouse bi*tch as Patti's belt suggests.

I love some of the new orchestrations - especially in the Montage. The orchestra does sound "tinny" at times but that is the fault of the album producers.

I just have no warmth for Ricky Martin. I don't expect him to be Mandy Patinkin, but he lacks a lustre that should come through in the performance of the character and, thus, the recording. It's almost as if he took several years off from singing, showed up one day, cleared his throat and just started singing. Not to mention, his phrasing and intonnation often don't match the text her is trying to convey.

Cerveris's (sp?) Peron makes Bob Gunton seem/sound to be a characature. His love for Eva, which I hear is powerful live, comes through brilliantly on the recording.

Again, I was more than pleasantly surprised by Ms. Roger after hearing such criticism. She won me over with her unique vocal stylings and interpretation. Definitely adding it to my collection!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#71Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 7/2/12 at 1:36am

I can't stop listening to this. It sounds GOREGOUS! The orchestrations are epic, and Elena Roger is just incredible. I can listen to both discs straight through without skipping a song. I can't remember the last time I have loved a cast recording so much.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#72Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 7/2/12 at 2:17am

I like the stream of it. I find myself drawn to it, so I really need to purchase the 2 CD set. I enjoy it and I'm so happy that it is not an exact duplicate of the previous recordings and has elements that make it stand apart from them.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#73Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 7/2/12 at 3:08am

Just read through some more of this thread... I definitely think Elena Roger is more like Eva Peron than Patti. I love Patti LuPone, but when comparing the two recordings and performance footage, there is just no comparison for me. Elena Roger is thrilling, riveting, authentic, and just stunning. Her unique voice is spot on IMO, and her vocals are just incredible, especially during A New Argentina. She really captured the fervor, desire, and energy and Eva Peron.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#74Listen to the new Evita Cast Recording on AOL Music
Posted: 7/2/12 at 4:13am

^^^^ THIS! Well said!