Can I just brag for a second?

Johnnycantdecide Profile Photo
Johnnycantdecide
#1Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:03pm

M little sister is auditioning for her fifth grade drama team.  She has to prepare a piece and perform it.  And she has to dress up and use props. 

SHE HAS CHOSEN TO DO MOMENT IN THE WOODS FROM INTO THE WOODS. MY 9 YEAR OLD SISTER IS GOING TO BLOW HER AUDITION THROUGH THE ROOF DOING A STEPHEN SONDHEIM PIECE.

I HAVE SUCEEDED AS A ROLE MODEL!
And I get to dress her like Johanna Gleason.  ...I'm going to be a amazing parent.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:08pm

So happy to read there are young ones out there who are interested in shows other than Wicked!!! I'm sure she will be fantastic Can I just brag for a second?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#2Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:14pm

That's pretty advanced for a nine year old.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#3Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:16pm

They have drama teams in fifth grade now? Well anyways, good luck to her you seem really proud. You do know that this song happens right after she cheats on her husband and has sex with a prince?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#4Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:18pm

LOL

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#5Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:25pm

This song seems inappropriate for a 9 year old. A bit Toddlers and Tiaras.

(btw you totally set yourself up for ridicule by saying you wanted to brag...)

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#6Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:26pm

Lol it doesn't just happen after she cheats on her husband but the song is actually about her having just had sex with the prince. Of course out of context it's not overtly explicit and should be fine. Sounds like its going to be fun for both of you.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#7Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:29pm

^ that makes no sense. How could she have had sex with the prince without cheating on her husband?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:06pm

^I think you read it too fast.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#9Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:14pm

Did I say something wrong in my post, because I am pretty sure I said what they said.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#10Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:22pm

Apparently, it is said Sondheim is sooooooooo inaccessible, Joanna Gleason has yet to truly understand "Moments In the Woods." The truth is, she just winged it, and it came out fine.

Current scholarly interpretation is that of a harlot having wanton sexcapades in her woods, but they've yet to fully crack the Sondheimenian code.

Tell her to do another song.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#11Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:42pm

There's really a fifth grade drama team? My school didn't have a drama team until 8th grade. In 6th grade there was a Shakespeare team, but idk if that really counts.

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#12Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:48pm

What about On The Steps of the Palace? That even has physicality.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#13Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:52pm

"Moments in the Woods" for a nine year old? May I suggest something more age appropriate? Like "Pull Up to My Bumper, Baby".

Updated On: 8/8/12 at 07:52 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 7:53pm

There is absolutely no way that a 9-year-old can even begin to comprehend what the song is about. A child's brain isn't developed enough at age 9 to truly 'get it.'

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#15Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 8:00pm

I'd suggest "The Ladies Who Lunch."

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#16Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 8:02pm

No... Just... no.

For all the reasons already stated above.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 8/8/12 at 08:02 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#17Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 8:13pm

It strikes me as a weird choice but not *so* wrong as it does some here--especially if you cut the beginning part and stick to the gist it could be relatively vague out of context. Not quite Tits and Ass or Paris Makes Me Horny (which *would* be very Toddlers and Tiaras).

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#18Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 9:15pm

My first solo was "Making Whoopie" in a musical revue when I was eleven so I'm pretty sure this is ok.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#19Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 9:43pm

No, she won't 'get' the piece, but she's a nine year old performing for fun. I think it's fantastic that she's doing ITW - if she enjoys it that's all the reason she needs to perform it.

And good lord, could some of the comments in this thread be any more obnoxious?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#20Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 9:47pm

No, she won't 'get' the piece, but she's a nine year old performing for fun. I think it's fantastic that she's doing ITW - if she enjoys it that's all the reason she needs to perform it.

I agree. I just like to hear that there are still kids out there who appreciate shows like Into the Woods.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#21Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:15pm

I dunno, I think a 10 year old could perhaps "understand" the song and moment well enough for a basic audition where they probably just wanna hear if she can carry a tune, anyway. I first saw ITW at ten, and while I'm sure I didn't get it the way I do now, it's not like the song left me confused or anything (though that is one reason I prob would have been uncomfortable performing it for an audition--gender aside...)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:17pm

Eh, some kids are precocious, but I don't think this is wildly inappropriate or anything. I saw Evita when I was seven, and if my parents had let me, I would have performed "Buenos Aires" for EVERYONE. I knew all the words, but I didn't know what half of what I was singing. I really don't think any child exposed to "Moments in the Woods" is going to be inappropriately sexualized by it or anything.

What IS a drama team, anyway? Is it a school thing? Is it like middle school drama club or something? I feel so old.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:17pm

Eh, some kids are precocious, but I don't think this is wildly inappropriate or anything. I saw Evita when I was seven, and if my parents had let me, I would have performed "Buenos Aires" for EVERYONE. I knew all the words, but I didn't know what half of what I was singing. I really don't think any child exposed to "Moments in the Woods" is going to be inappropriately sexualized by it or anything.

What IS a drama team, anyway? Is it a school thing? Is it like middle school drama club or something? I feel so old.

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#24Can I just brag for a second?
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:51pm

The lyrics of the song are hardly that inappropriate in context, and out of context I think it'll be fine. Good for her for picking something different!