Annie Preview Thread

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#125Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/4/12 at 9:53pm

I saw the original Broadway production (original cast intact) when I was 14 years old. Annie was my first Broadway show. To say that I was excited would be an understatement. What I remember about the wonderful overture was that the audience (adults included) talked throughout it!! I kept wondering why everyone was talking. To this day I remain completely silent once the lights go down and the orchestra begins. It's all part of the show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

JohnyBroadway
#126Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/4/12 at 10:18pm

I understand that's the modern take on overtures today, but this is a Revival oand isn't the intention to reintroduce a classic show to new audiences? Isn't it the chance show a new generation of what musicals once were? That should include the full overture in it's entire form.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#127Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/4/12 at 11:38pm

I saw the show tonight and really enjoyed it. I thought Katie had some very funny moments and I'm sure she will only get better as previews go on...I think her grasp on the character is pretty good right now and I can't wait to go back and see her after they've opened and she's solidified what she's doing because I think the makings of a truly excellent performance are there.

Lilla Crawford and the girls who played the orphans were adorable. I thought Lilla's acting was very good, and her singing is fantastic. She has a really strong, clear voice and she's not screaming her head off which tends to be a problem and a particular irritation of mine with Annies/kid actors in general. She also had great chemistry with Anthony Warlow.

Brynn O'Malley was also very good in what is pretty much a throwaway role...great singing voice, very engaging and very present even when she wasn't the focus of the scene.

J. Elaine Marcos has stopped doing the Asian stereotype and is now doing what seems to be a sort of Jersey accent in the first part of the show, but it still isn't funny which is a shame to me. I also thought Clarke Thorell was weak and that "Easy Street" didn't hit with the bang that it should, which is a shame because that is probably my favorite song in the score.

The ensemble numbers sounded thin to me...I'm not sure if it was just where I was sitting but there seemed to be not very many people onstage except for "A New Deal for Christmas," which I thought was great. I also hate that they cut the overture and hope that they add it back at some point, it's such a great one and it should be there in full.

Overall though I think they are in very good shape for a second preview and the problems they have are for the most part pretty easily fixable.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#128Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/5/12 at 2:14am

Why don't they just play the damn Overture,
which is great and show the newsreel at the same time?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#129Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/5/12 at 2:34am

Based on what I have "heard" of the production (don't ask), it sounds absolutely smashing. The orchestra in particular sounds phenomenal. The fact that the orchestra sounds so great makes me miss the overture even more. They play the slow brassy Tomorrow segment, then it goes right into the news reel. I REALLY miss the overture. I am praying that it gets put back in during the previews.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#130Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/6/12 at 6:59pm

I saw ANNIE this afternoon, and I must say that I didn't quite understand the criticism directed towards Katie Finneran. She's not Dorothy Loudon, but who is? Her interpretation, which I did not find "overly drunk", was perfectly valid and worked well for her. However, she is not the standout in the show, as she was expected to be.

Anthony Warlow is. He sings beautifully, and plays Warbucks with warm authority. Lilla Crawford is a charming Annie- with a great sweetness underneath the tough exterior, but thankfully, not sickeningly sweet. The rest of the company is fine, as well, with particular kudos to Merwin Ford as Roosevelt.

Lapine's production is imaginative and well done. The choreography isn't spectacular, but it's serviceable. And, as in most Lapine stagings, the show is paced swiftly, and is visually appealing. (I enjoyed the staging of "I'm Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" particularly.) Starobin's new orchestrations sound very good, too.

It's a fine staging with lots of charm of an old warhorse. And the leading man is a welcome addition to the New York stage.

Updated On: 10/6/12 at 06:59 PM

wonkit
#131Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/6/12 at 7:23pm

I was not a fan of Katie Finneran's performance in PROMISES, so she is not the draw for me with this production. If the Annie is good and the Daddy Warbucks is good, and the orphans have a lot of personality, I'll probably like it. But my real question is, how is Sandy? I saw the original production and couldn't get over how adorable the dog was!

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#132Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/6/12 at 7:28pm

Can someone explain the orphanage/Hannigan's office set a little? It's hard to get the painted backdrops out of my mind after many a regional production.

bwayphreak234
#133Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/6/12 at 7:32pm

^ I would love to hear about that as well! It looked pretty awesome from that video with David Korins showing the model!

willrogers2008
#134Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/6/12 at 11:17pm

"I would love to hear about that as well! It looked pretty awesome from that video with David Korins showing the model!"

Please, where can i find this video? Thank you.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#135Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 12:12am

The set is very interesting. Visually quite appealing. I'm horrible at describing these things, but picture all of the rooms in Warbucks' house (during the first scene there) as a giant book with pages being turned by the house staff. I was mildly annoyed that Annie wore her orphan sweater the whole show until the final scenes, but it wasn't the worst thing ever, as I'm sure some people will say.

Again, a very charming production.

#136Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 11:33am

I disagree with this entire thread about the overture. Yes, it's iconic. Yes it's beautiful. It's also a relic of eras gone by. Overtures are boring. Include it on the soundtrack if you must but Annie already runs long, lets just get into the play already. Lapine, if you're reading this; don't put the overture back in.

bwayphreak234
#137Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 11:56am

^ There are so many things wrong with that post that I don't even know where to begin.

JohnyBroadway
#138Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 12:03pm

Let me guess sharpie, you're one of the rude audience members that speak during the overture? I look at the Theatre as being an experience and the Overture whether it's 6 minutes or 30 seconds is part of the whole Musical theatre experience, it's what puts the audience in the atmosphere of the show and transports them into the story. The Orchestra is work their asses off too.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#139Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 12:05pm

I saw the show yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it. Lilla Crawford was, as many people have said, fantastic, as was Anthony Warlow. Both have great voices and "I Don't Need Anyone But You" was probably my favorite song of the night.

I didn't think Finneran was bad, but it definitely wasn't the performance I was hoping for after PROMISES, PROMISES and even the NY Phil's COMPANY. The audience didn't seem to love her, either. The only time she got a huge laugh was when she went to shake hands with FDR.

I wasn't a fan of the design. The sets for the Warbucks mansion were too flat (although it did look nice for Christmas), and I wanted more in NYC -- I think the audience should be wowed during this scene, just the way Annie is as she sees it all for the first time. The choreography was pretty sloppy, but I'm sure they're working on polishing that up.

Overall, it was a cute afternoon (though the audience was a nightmare). Not the best production of Annie I've seen, but good enough to satisfy the tourists for a while.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#140Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 12:06pm

Why now?

It's a good show
The economic times reflect the setting of the show to a significant degree
The Dickensian aspect is welcome at this time in which one party is so eager to abandon the poor
The leads are beloved performers
Musical theater is much more like opera then before, there is a repertory of shows in the cannon that people will likely want to see

Other than that...

bwayfan4ever2
#141Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 12:39pm

BroadwayGuy12, which production did you like better?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#142Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 1:13pm

henrik, I agree wholeheartedly with your "Why now?" post. I came out thinking, "We all really could use a New Deal for Christmas this year, too."

#143Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/7/12 at 7:24pm

I don't prefer overtures, you got me. That doesn't make me rude, I don't talk during the show. I've been going to Broadway a long time, and in my life, I just don't really love overtures. I saw Annie last week, and I didn't miss the overture. I like how it jumps into the newsreel, personally, I think it is creative. The original Annie was amazing, truly. I like this interpretation as well.

phantom121
#144Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 11:08am

For those who have seen it already:
Does Hannigan actually "hit" Annie with a paddle?
I know this was taken out/put back in many times depending on the production so just wondering if they did it here or not.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#145Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 12:05pm

There's no paddle. Hannigan handles the orphans and Annie a little roughly, but there's no physical violence.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

bl3dbl4k
#146Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 12:53pm

This question is for those who have been to this production..

How long is the show? I'm going next week and need to know the length, for later plans that night. Don't want to overlap the next event.

Looking forward to it. Night full of Annie and Halloween events. Now that's what I call fun! Annie Preview Thread

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#147Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 1:23pm

It is two and a half hours (including intermission).

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#148Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 2:17pm

A lackluster "Easy Street"? No Overture? Those are deal breakers for me.

booth0882 Profile Photo
booth0882
#149Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 2:21pm

"A lackluster "Easy Street"? No Overture? Those are deal breakers for me."

Sounds like this show needs A New Deal for Christmas. Ok, I need more sleep...

Videos