pixeltracker

Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed

Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#1Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 4:02pm

I've been checking since yesterday and surprised nobody posted about Glengarry Glen Ross delaying its opening to Decemeber 8.

I had ticket for the original opening night but when I saw the announcements, I immediately called telecharge and was able to change my ticket to the new opening night performance (albeit for a somewhat worse seat) - didn't want to attend a preview and thought it would be really exciting to be at the opening night.

Though, I realized there are two shows that day and no article has specifically stated that the 8pm is the opening night show... there is no way the Sat. matinee would be the official opening night right???

Also, do you think the 8th will be the typical opening night event, with red carpet, industry folk/celebs, extra enthusiasm in the audience... etc?

Hope it was smart to change my ticket!

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#2Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 4:52pm

Well the change of date from what I hear is to give Al Pacino more time to get into the role since from what I hear he has been doing horribly. If the reviews are pans they may not cause grosses to tank since the show is basically sold out already, but it will hurt Pacino's starpower for the future.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#2Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 7:12pm

This does not surprise me at all; we saw the show Friday night, and Pacino was dreadful. Not only did he not know his lines, he seemed not to connect at all with the others on stage. I have no idea what he is trying to do, but it is not the character Mamet wrote. At times, he goes for laughs that are not there, and at others seems bewildered about how to play Levine, who is NOT Willy Loman. His pleas for his daughter, for example, hardly register, and the method is drearily on full view in his tics, including the constant hiking up of his pants as well as the truly odd accent, which is not Chicago Jewish, but somewhere between Brooklyn and the Bronz.

The rest of the cast is polished and ready; I did see the praise on the other thread for Pacino (whom I adore) but this seems like puffery. BTW, we paid 350.00 for two tickets (bad orchestra seats), love Mamet, and really wanted to like the show.

Updated On: 11/6/12 at 07:12 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#3Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 7:40pm

That describes what I saw in a very early preview - wonder if he's still finding the part two weeks later, if delaying opening will have any effect.

I was very disappointed.

kidbroadway2
#4Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 7:43pm

I'm surprised the report on Pacino hasn't gotten bigger gossip on here imo.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 9:12pm

If the reviews are pans, the last thing it will do is hurt Pacino's "starpower." The man is very commonly regarded as one of the best actors of all time. One potential false step will hardly cause him to fall from grace.

kidbroadway2
#6Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 9:35pm

Jack and Jill didn't lose him any fans.... did it?

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#7Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/6/12 at 10:05pm

Glad to read everyone's posts... hopefully the month delay will allow Pacino to get to a performance that is more praised than the previous posts here.

Unfortunately, no one answered my questions! Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed If anyone has an answer/thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1. Is the opening night Dec 8th at 8:00pm? (not the matinee)
2. Is it expected that this new opening night date will be a traditional opening night with red carpet, industry/celebs, etc.

The Other One
#8Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/7/12 at 7:10am

I have never heard of an opening matinee before, so I am reasonably sure the 8PM performance will be the official premiere. And I've never heard of an opening without red carpet fanfare, have you? Just guessing, but if you're at the evening performance you will be at the opening.

You would probably have to ask at the box office for more specific information.

I am sure the delay is entirely for the purpose of rescuing Pacino's performance, which torpedoed an otherwise fine production. It certainly would damage his reputation were he to bring down a proven play, cast and director, and I'm sure no one wants to let it happen to him.

You were smart to exchange your tickets.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#9Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/7/12 at 7:16pm

I've thought about this a bit more; great actor though he is, Pacino may be tempermentally unsuited for Levine; it's no insult to him to say that not all actors can play all roles. I saw him years ago as Richard III, another unfortunate choice for him. Give him credit...he reaches and tries like no other actor of his generation, most of whom have long given up doing anything new, let alone live theater.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/7/12 at 7:28pm

Love Reidel comparing Pacino to the old gypsy lady in "The Wolfman"

Poster Emeritus

jeffmiele
#11Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/7/12 at 8:14pm

what is the reason for revues coming out the 10th if the opening will be the eighth?

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#12Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/7/12 at 9:54pm

Saturday verses Monday.

Wilmingtom
#13Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/8/12 at 3:02pm

Make sure to check the time for the evening perf. I'd bet it's more like 6:30 than 8.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#14Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/8/12 at 6:14pm

Thanks... But my ticket was emailed to me today and it says 8pm. So unless I hear differently I'd assume it's at 8. I still think it's so weird to have a matinee on the day of opening night! Never heard of that before.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#15Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/9/12 at 12:07am

Telecharge lists the new opening date of December 8th in the show info, but they still have not updated the schedule or the tickets on sale to reflect the extension. It is possible you'll get a call or email later telling you about a change of time, when their system catches up with all the updates.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

aaronb
#16Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/10/12 at 5:48pm

I just can't picture Pacino being dreadful.

After Eight
#17Glengarry Glen Ross Opening Night Delayed
Posted: 11/11/12 at 8:12am

"I have never heard of an opening matinee before,"

Home, Sweet Homer and I Won't Dance both opened (and closed) on a Sunday matinee. But that was the only performance that day.

Teaneck Tanzi: The Venus Flytrap opened on a Wednesday matinee, and closed after the second performance that evening.