pixeltracker

Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman

Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#1Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 7:09pm

...Any dream casting? Nothing has been announced or rumored, right?

It would be a longshot for Encores, but Richard Gere could make a convincing Max.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 7:20pm

All I want is one of the record companies to record it. We got three encores cast recordings last year. If this doesn't get one I'm gonna be mad.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#2Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:27pm

I don't know much about the score for the show, but could Matt Bomer play Superman? I know that he was rumored to be one of the final contenders for the movie. And we know he can sing from one of the Kennedy Center Honors and from Glee. And he is pretty handsome and dashing....

Though I'm not sure if "White Collar" would have finished up or not by then.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 8:30pm

As someone who saw the original it really needs a revival which I know will not happen. Doubt Encores will do any flying. It will be interesting how the Chinese acrobats are handled. The original concept was in no way demeaning or. Offensives. The whole thing was played as one big goof. Any nationality could do it or a mix. It was done before everything had to be PC.

Cheyenne Jackson should be Sup.

Poster Emeritus

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#4Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 9:26pm

Leslie Kritzer seems like a shoo-in for Sydney, the Linda Lavin role.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 10:58pm

Matt Cavenaugh did it in Texas right? On it's like "pre-Broadway run" that never materialized.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#6Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:03pm

Is a new recording really necessary> Is anything importante missing from the OBCR on Sony? I have never seen the show on stage, but have long loved the OBCR.
IT'S A BIRD IT'S A PLANE IT'S SUPERMAN

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:53pm

I wonder which version of the script they'll be using- the original, the "censored" revised version, or the "uncensored" revised version that has been rumored for the past five years?

The "censorship," for those out of the loop, refers to a somewhat bizarre clause in the original Broadway cast which prevented the writers from using any of Superman's supporting characters, limiting them only to the use of Superman and Lois Lane. The rest of the characters became suspiciously similar substitutes. Rumor has repeatedly had it that a new version of the script exists, which removes the obfuscations and includes more authentic Superman material, but legal reasons have prevented the show from being used. Hence, Lex Luthor remains Max Mencken in the musical... thus far.

CATSNYrevival
#8Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/29/13 at 11:56pm

^I'd actually love it if they used the revised book by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, but since this is Encores I'm sure they'll be using the original libretto -- or whatever the current licensed version is.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 1:28am

Word around town is the Cheyenne will be in it.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#10Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 6:37am

Yeah, Cheyenne is the predictable choice. If anyone else besides him is cast it will be a surprise.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#11Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 9:24am

I'd like to see the original book, hear the original orchestrations, etc.

And I've heard a rumor about someone other than the obvious Cheyenne playing the caped guy...

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#12Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:05am

How about Laura Benanti as Lois Lane?

MenzelManiac Profile Photo
MenzelManiac
#13Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:10am

I saw the MUFTI they did a few years ago, Cheyenne was great, and so was Shoshana Bean. It was my first intro to the show, and I enjoyed it very much.

mamaleh
#14Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:36am

Didn't see the Mufti, but I saw the original as an adolescent and loved it. Cheyenne or Bomer would be great as Supe; and as the goofily evil Prof. Sedgwick (ah, the late Michael O'Sullivan!), after seeing John Bolton's happily manic turns in THE LAST SMOKER IN AMERICA and especially A CHRISTMAS STORY, I think he'd make a great nutty-bad chemist. His big number, "Revenge," is a showstopper.

Jon
#15Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:42am

A production in Chicago a few years ago changed the Chinese acrobat villains into a French "Cirque" type troupe.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#16Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:56am

Changing the Flying Lings to the Flying Crepes would be a good idea, and the ridiculous Pidgin lyrics of "Everything Easy When You Know How" could be maintained without offending anyone (except maybe the French, and who cares about them?).

Ed_Mottershead
#17Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 11:40am

Cheyenne in tights is a wet dream come true.

BroadwayEd

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#18Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 1/30/13 at 1:59pm

Regarding the copyright problems with the original book, does anyone here know exactly WHY DC Comics (the Warner Brothers Conglomerate now, I believe) denied and continues to deny the rights to characters other than Superman and Lois Lane for this show?

Spider-Man got to use Green Goblin, Aunt May, Venom, tons of characters in at least cameo roles. Even the aborted Batman musical got the Joker and Catwoman. So why does Superman continually lose the character of Lex Luthor to the split role of Max Mencken and Dr. Sedgwick, as well as bowdlerizing Cat Grant into Sydney the Secretary and so on?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#19Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:30pm

Cheyenne is NOT doing it.
Twitter:

Cheyenne JacksonVerified ?@cheyennejackson

For those of you who kindly keep asking me if I'm Superman @ ENCORES, the answer is no. Done it twice, & I'm hanging up the tights.

Any new predictions?
Tweet

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:34pm

Well Cheyenne WAS attached to do it, I guess it fell through.

There's not too many "Superman looking" Broadway leading men, strangely! Matt Cavenahgh is the closest to that look that comes to mind.

CATSNYrevival
#21Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:37pm

Matt Cavenaugh was okay in the Dallas production. I wouldn't mind if he did it again. It might be interesting to see him in the original version.

Updated On: 2/4/13 at 08:37 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:37pm

Too bad Jackson and Cavenaugh are both pretty boring performers. Wish they had charisma to match their looks.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#23Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:39pm

Rocks, your avatar reminded me that Kazee would be kind of ideal for this.

CATSNYrevival
#24Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:40pm

Too bad Cat on a Hot Tin Roof isn't closing earlier. Otherwise, I'd hit up Benjamin Walker. Encores! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman

Videos