pixeltracker

Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards

Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 8:52pm

So far I'm loving Seth, and the numbers have all been spectacular, specially be our guest. What do you guys think?

SporkGoddess
#2Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:02pm

Is it me, or did they lower Cosette's part in "One Day More"?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

all that jazz
#2Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:04pm

I honestly couldn't hear her over Eddie, but overall it was absolutely SPECTACULAR!!

brian.klimowski
#3Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:29pm

Les Mis was all modulated down! But it was great. Jennifer Hudson was awesome, and the Chicago Cast was good!

all that jazz
#4Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:32pm

Well next to Jennifer everything pales in comparison. I looove CZJ but I thought this wasn't her best performance of all that jazz. It was a bit too low.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#5Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:35pm

Maybe she shouldn't have lip synced then

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

all that jazz
#6Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:38pm

Has it been revealed she was lip synching? I really thought she was singing live. It didn't sound at all like the soundtrack.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:40pm

enoyed it as a whole. Zeta-Jones was clearly lip-synching, otherwise I enjoyed Chicago(but where were Renee, Richard & Queen Latifah??). Hudson killed it and the Les Miz number was well done despite the cameras not knowing where to actually focus on. I was hoping to see some u/s for Seyfried & Crowe. LOL!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

all that jazz
#8Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:53pm

I was kind of hoping for nowadays, but on the bright side they didn't butcher all that jazz.

Dear Lord!!! Barbra was absolute perfection!!!!!! Updated On: 2/24/13 at 10:53 PM

broadwayfever
#9Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:12pm

The Academy Awards have officially become the Grammy's for Older people.

all that jazz
#10Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:18pm

^ Well I'm 17 and so far I'm loving them, way more than the Grammys. If only we had more glamorous production numbers and legendary performers today.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#11Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:29pm

Catherine was Lip-synching? I couldn’t tell but if this is true that’s horrible! Jennifer was awesome but seemed to have a little trouble either with breathing or something- don’t know, the notes just came off as a little sharp. Shirley Bassey was perfection and sounds and looks stunning at 76!!

Darreyl with an L!

emma3386 Profile Photo
emma3386
#12Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:32pm

I love it! Let's do this every year. Though I suspect this will go over like "Smash" - I love it - and the ratings will probably say otherwise.

all that jazz
#13Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:58pm

Musicals and classic entertainment are again climbing the popularity ladder. It wont be an easy or short path, but hopefully we will get there.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#14Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 1:31am

Did anyone recognize the ensemble dancers? I think I saw Spencer Liff, Marty Lawson, Charlie Williams, Alex Wong, Colt Prattes, Samantha Zack, Sarah O'Gleby. Maybe some other How to Succeed alums there as well. I was trying to read credits but went so quickly.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 1:59am

There's not question that Ms. Zeta-Jones was lip synching - it may not have been to the movie soundtrack, but it was pre-recorded - and if there was any question (given the lack of any microphone), Jennifer Hudson showed what live singing looked and sounded like.

That said, when Ms. Zeta Jones came out later with the Chicago cast, all was forgiven! she was as stunning as ever.

emjullee
#16Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 2:02am

I like it being a music theme awards show. Overall, it was good. It would have been perfect for me except that the introduction/opening act was dragging. It was a bit too long with the Captain Kirk portion. At some portions, I could sense some of the presenters being nervous. The 2009 Oscars theme "The Musical is Back" is still better in terms of directing and execution, from the opening number and onwards. But this year's performers AND presenters are tops - its star-studded!

Updated On: 2/25/13 at 02:02 AM

PlayItAgain
#17Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 2:17am

Sorry but Barbra was terrible.

Thespinoy Profile Photo
Thespinoy
#18Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 2:31am

The theme was music yet the orchestra was playing a mile away at the Capitol Records building. Really?!

Mmm, Mmm, I feel sorry for the poor folk that got to pay to see this play. - The Maid from "Bullets Over Broadway."

all that jazz
#19Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 5:51am

I think my favorite moment from the show was the closing number, Cheno was just perfection as always.

PlayItAgain, I know it's all a matter of taste, but how on earth could Barbra Streisand be terrible??

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#20Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 5:55am

^^^^When Streisand sings nowadays, I have to keep reminding myself that she is a legend and it's a gift that she still sings at all. But the voice is pretty much shot in its upper range, so she finesses the high notes by singing them very softly as if it were a phrasing choice.

And she's a master at doing so. But it ain't the Streisand of 10 years ago, much less 45.

all that jazz
#21Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 6:06am

She certainly can't hit the notes she used to 30 years ago, but like you said she's still a legend and in my opinion she can still outshine any of today's pop stars.

broadwayjim42
#22Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 10:00am

I thought the combination of Hamlisch and Steisand was the emotional highlight of the evening. Vocally? No, Hudson ruled that, but I teared up.

#23Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 10:16am

That show was awful in every way. I still don't understand why the theme was "musicals." And I can sort of understand a huge Les Mis number (even though it seems terribly unfair to the other nominees) but why the Chicago and Dreamgirls songs?

And if you think Shirley Bassey sounded good you must have had teh sound off.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#24Thoughts on Music Themed Academy Awards
Posted: 2/25/13 at 10:28am

but why the Chicago and Dreamgirls songs?

Umm..because they were from Oscar winning musical films and it was a tribute to musical films? Just sayin'...