pixeltracker

Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout

Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout

beautywickedlover
#2Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:30pm

The creative team is very good. I think this has potential.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:31pm

Based on what I've heard, this should be pretty special.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:33pm

I'm glad she's coming back. I'm actually kind of shocked she's stayed away for so long.

beautywickedlover
#4Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:39pm

^ She did not want to do revivals. She's always been into original musicals and she finally found the right one.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#5Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:44pm

She has been previewing one of the songs in her concert tour this past year. It sounds beautiful!

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#6Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:47pm

Hoping they do LOTS of stuff from this at the Kitt/Yorkey Lincoln Center American Songbook concert Friday.
I've got my tickets, but if you want yours...

Rainbowhigh23
#7Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:56pm

Thank you dtzumbrunnen! You've given hope to those who were shut out when the show first went on sale.

I am incredibly excited for this new production. I will definitely make a road trip to DC for this show.

What is the song she has previewed in concert?

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#8Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:01pm

I'm so excited for this! Random question...is there a reason 'Aida' is not part of Idina's bio?

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#9Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:01pm

I'm so excited for this! Random question...is there a reason 'Aida' is not part of Idina's bio?

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#10Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:08pm

was this the show Kyle Dean Massey was workshopping too?

Esther
#11Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:09pm

She didn't originate Amneris, so maybe that's why it was left off?

That's my guess.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#13Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:27pm

"was this the show Kyle Dean Massey was workshopping too?"

Yes it was along with Anthony Rapp, Adam Kantor, Celia Keenan-Bolger and Colin Donnel.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#14Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:28pm

if that cast ends up transferring with the project to Broadway...what a show this will be!

broadwayfever
#15Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:37pm

I hate to say it but Idina memory skills have severely diminished. She has trouble remembering the words to her own songs these days. I'm not too sure if she can remember an entire show nowadays, so I don't think she's the best pick.

Rainbowhigh23
#16Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:37pm

LYLS3637, thank you. That was beautiful!

hockeynut2
#17Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:20pm

I am so happy that it will stop at The National Theatre. Here's the announcement on my site DCMetroTheaterArts.
Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey's new musical with Idina Menzel stops in DC Before BWAY

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#18Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:04pm

broadwayfever, I have seen her in concert, she never dropped the words.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#19Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:18pm

"broadwayfever, I have seen her in concert, she never dropped the words. "

There's a video on youtube of her forgetting the lyrics to "For Good" in concert.
And let's be honest, For Good is not the hardest song to remember the lyrics to.

"Nice is different than good."

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#20Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:26pm

Are we really questioning her abilities to memorize things because she forgot words to a song?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

WestwardHoHo
Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#22Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:26pm

No, I'm sure she can memorize just fine. I'm just saying, she has forgotten the words on stage before... And just sat there looking confused and being like "****, what are the words?"
Honestly, I think she's a talented lady, but she is so over-hyped.

"Nice is different than good."

emma3386 Profile Photo
emma3386
#23Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:26pm

I am so excited for this! I saw Idina recently in concert and she blew everyone I was with away. She is a star, and she has proven herself time and again.

The idea that anyone thinks they have the right to say her memory has diminished (as if she's 90 years old) is absurd to me. Don't go to the show then, and leave more seats open for me and my fellow Idina fans.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#24Idina Menzel to Return to Broadway Spring 2014 in If/Then by Next to Normal Team after DC Tryout
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:07pm

Some people are actors first, concert performers second. In a concert setting, it's much easier to forget the words, since they aren't "coming from the same place" as doing the show, playing the character.

Legendary singer-songwriter Pete Townshend is somewhat notorious for forgetting the words to the songs from his four rock operas, and cabaret darling turned Glee star Darren Criss usually has to turn his songs into a singalong to keep them going.