pixeltracker

Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME

Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:43pm

DeLaria will be Vera Charles opposite McArdle's MAME at the Media Theatre in Pennsylvania, according to her Facebook page.

Certainly... interesting casting to say the least. Completely preposterous and inappropriate, in my opinion, but definitely interesting.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/7/13 at 10:43 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:50pm

...Wow.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:50pm

Well that's one production I'll make a point to avoid like the plague.

FindingNamo
#3Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:56pm

If I lived within driving distance I would so be going to that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#4Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:02pm

I think Delaria would make a great Mother Burnside or even Mr Babcock. She might even make a good Ito. Not even with the wildest imagination could she pretend to be the First Lady of the theatre.
As for Ms.Mccardle. She's a great singer but a comedienne she is not.
Best worst casting ever.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#5Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:50pm

Are you sure this isn't a joke? I can't imagine any casting worse than this... one who can sing decently but can't act, and the other who... well, that describes them both.

PS to Ms DeLaria: Loud does NOT equal funny.

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Jordan Catalano
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:05am

has the entire cast list been posted somewhere??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 3/8/13 at 12:05 AM

FindingNamo
#8Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:07am

I'm looking forward to a slightly more effeminate post-Bea Arthur Vera.

Gothampc
#9Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:18am

This wasn't the same theater that let Joyce Dewitt stumble through play Rose in Gypsy was it?

If we learned anything from Lucille Ball's Maimed, it's that the character of Mame needs some warmth of which Andrea McCardle has zilch.

Seeing Lea DeLaria play Vera Charles might be interesting if you could imagine Tom Bosley playing the role.

Maybe they could talk Jerry Seinfeld into playing Beauregard, Katherine McPhee to play Gooch and Honey Boo Boo as Young Patrick.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#10Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:22am

This has FAIL written all over it. Road trip!

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#11Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:26am

I was going to see this with McCardle. Now that DeLaria is involved, I will pass on this. Boy will that theatre be sorry to have to deal with the likes of DeLaria. Very dificult to work with. To know her is to know she gives lesbians and thespians a bad name.

Updated On: 3/8/13 at 12:26 AM

Gothampc
#12Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:29am

Are they really going to have Lea DeLaria sing "Bosom Buddy"?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jordan Catalano
#13Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:30am

I will never understand anyone finding anything appealing about a female Sam Kinison who does nothing but screams.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#14Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 10:59am

^Delaria was a fantastic Hildy in the Park; her larger than lifeness couldn't survive On the Town's move to Broadway (nothing else in or about that production did either).

This may in fact be a disaster, but I also have to say:

if this were early 1966, a great many of us would be screaming that the tough, vulgar, butch, "ethnic" giantess Bea Arthur was COMPLETELY, PATHETICALLY MISCAST as the grand dame first lady of the American theater, and that the hard as nails, B-list Hollywood "character actress" Angela Lansbury, best at arch and bitter roles (she was good in Anyone Can Whistle, superb in The Manchurian Candidate, but Mame? - WTF?!), was not only COMPLETELY, PATHETICALLY MISCAST as the warm, madcap, classy, patrician, loving, eccentrically maternal Auntie Mame but would, furthermore, never sell a single ticket.

That is until those legendary performances began and history was made.

My point - and I do have one - is that truly great and highly successful casting sometimes pushes the envelope, is surprising, and that all too often what people on bww seem to demand is the safe, the predictable, the commercially prepackaged and the boring.

Updated On: 3/8/13 at 10:59 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#15Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:12am

My point - and I do have one - is that truly great and highly successful casting sometimes pushes the envelope, is surprising, and that all too often what people on bww seem to demand is the safe, the predictable, the commercially prepackaged and the boring.

I love this post. Very well said and I wholeheartedly agree!

Jordan Catalano
#16Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:24am

I completely agree. But when it comes to Delaria, the last thing she should be doing is musical theater. She might be very talented in other areas, but this one ain't for her.

Shoshana BeanieBaby
#17Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:28am

Agreed with henrikegerman.

FindingNamo
#18Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:29am

I have seen her do her combo be bop jazz/comedy shows and they are great.

I've also seen McCardle be quite warm in shows.

But I guess the message in this thread is "Don't try anything risky; things that look good on paper always work out for the best!"

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#19Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:34am

I thought Delaria was one of the few bright spots in ON THE TOWN. I was leery of her casting, and found her incredibly effective. And yes, her be bop/jazz shows are terrific. Her Ballad of Sweeney Todd is possibly my favorite version of the song.

I've worked with both of these women, and they were both lovely. I wonder if they need an Ito?

Jordan Catalano
#20Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:37am

"But I guess the message in this thread is "Don't try anything risky; things that look good on paper always work out for the best!"

EXACTLY. lol

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#21Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:47am

I think this needs Alec Mapa as Ito.

FindingNamo
#22Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:51am

Then I would soooo find a way to get there.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#23Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 11:51am

I'd meet you there.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#24Lea DeLaria to Co-Star with Andrea McCardle in MAME
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:03pm

FINE. I'll play Mother Burnside. My Agnes Gooch notes are a little shaky these days.