pixeltracker

Big Fish Chicago previews- Page 2

Big Fish Chicago previews

#25Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 2:22pm

I did rush tickets. I got to the theater at 7:30 in the morning and was only one in line until the box office opened. I sat in the orchestra level, row J, seat 21. I was very upset that the first act was horrible. I was 10 rows away from the stage and I could not hear anything!! No facial expressions and the orchestra was louder than the singers. There were some scenes that did not make any sence like the elephant dance. They just stomped their feet than the crowd just started screaming and clapping. I just didn't get the dance. The french wife was HOT! That all that I have to say. I was happy that the first act was over, but I did mind that intermission was about 25 minutes long and I can understand why. The second act was a little better, but I didn't know if the story was getting serious or just funny. Sure there were some sad parts, but every time I saw someone wip their eyes, I just wanted to roll my eyes and say "really" to them. The ending seemed ok for me when all of the characters came back together, but I would have to say the end did made me cry. I'm debaing if I should see it again, but I should of done rush tickets for catch me if you can. Oh and speaking of catch me if you can. Did anybody notice that there were some lines that described Norbert old character Carl Hanratty? Like "I'm a agent" and "finding a con man"? The sets and costumes where great, but there is going to be a lot of work done. I just mostly watch the ensemble and the tech crew (I could see them) since they did a better job then the main actors.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#26Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 2:30pm

sense
wipe
debating
should have
were
than

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:36pm

"I thought the show lacked the right tone....I couldn't tell if they were going for serious, bittersweet, silly......it seemed to be all over the place in terms of tone."

This is one of my problems with the film. It's one of those movies that I will never ever understand the love it gets from it's fans. But the reviews from last night pretty much confirm what I was afraid of with this adaptation. At this point, at least.

Mister Matt
#28Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 4:11pm

^
Ditto all that.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:14pm

This movie is like Newsies for me. I always start it, and then I find myself dozing off about half-way through.

It sounds like they need to be more inventive. Stroman is a pretty by-the-books kind of director. I'm surprised she would take some on something so fantastical.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:20pm

I actually think Stro is a pretty good choice to direct and choreograph something like BIG FISH. Andrew Lippa writing the score is much more of a worry for me. The songs they've released so far have been extremely boring and uninspired. Hopefully they turn things around before it opens in NY.

#31Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:21pm

Sorry, while typing this I was just upset that the show wasn't what I was expecting it to be.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:22pm

Why's that? Lippa did Addams Family and Charlie Brown and proven he can write darker music with The Wild Party. I don't thinks his style of music is quite "grand" enough for this style of Big Broadway Musical.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#33Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:54pm

This would have been the last thing I would have thought that needed to be a musical. The film had no idea what it wanted to be, funny, sad, bitter sweet.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mister Matt
#34Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 6:00pm

and proven he can write darker music with The Wild Party.

Sorry, but I don't think he proved anything of the sort. I thought his Wild Party was as generic as his other stuff, especially if you hear what LaChiusa put into his version of the same story. I like a few of his songs, but I've never heard a strong score from him, which was my first concern regarding Big Fish.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#35Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 6:07pm

His WILD PARTY score is sharply uneven in my opinion. The songs he wrote for CHARLIE were merely passable. His score for ADDAMS was abysmal. I'd hardly call any of his music clever, whimsical, or imaginative, which is what I'd imagine the score of this show should sound like.

PiraguaGuy Profile Photo
PiraguaGuy
#36Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 8:32pm

SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't.

#37Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:16pm

"The God's Honest Truth" is this show is wonderful! Big Fish definitely still needs some work, but the show as is when I saw it is pretty spectacular! First off, I saw the very FIRST performance of the show EVER! I know that plenty of changes and tweaks are to come before the end of its run. Let’s start of with the cast. Norbert Leo Butz is so fantastic at whatever he does. I strongly think he’ll come close to getting his next tony with this show. His performance as Edward Bloom was spectacular. His voice is so good! I never really realized it. This is really the first show where he gets to show off his voice a lot! Kate Baldwin is just a doll. Her voice is so pretty! She played Sandra with such warmth and compassion. Bobby Steggert was really good as Will Bloom. His voice was kind of like Aaron Tveit’s, but a much stronger belt. You could really feel the anger coming off of him. Katie Thompson was FREAKIN AMAZING as The Witch. Her vocals are out of this world! Ryan Andes really was awesome as Karl The Giant. He had to stand on stilts plus he is already like 7 feet tall! The rest of the cast are completely stellar! Everyone gets to do something, and it really shows. The set was pretty cool. Due to the fact its Pre-Broadway they can do whatever the hell they want to the theatre, so they weren’t limited like touring shows. The set was basically the sets of “Wonderland" & “Bonnie And Clyde” coming together. There were amazing projections, visually, and great little tricks. The orchestra was actually on stage in the back. I thought that was really cool! They did this so they could use the orchestra pit as the river. A lot of tricks were done with that. I also noticed a couple of lighting cues were a bit off (it was the first show, that’s possible to happen). Also, Norbert’s mike in the first act seemed to be sounding a bit low in some parts. Maybe it was just me. In the end I do believe the movie captured the story better, but I enjoyed the musical a lot more. The story seemed to be very heavily condensed in the show. It was a bit confusing in some parts and others really did not make that much sense. There was a western number in act two called “Showdown” it was really fun and I got what they were going for, however it really did not fit with the rest of the show. The score is wonderful. I loved a lot of the songs. I still say that “The Addams Family” is Andrew Lippa’s best score. “Big Fish" is definitely second. In the end “Big Fish” compared as an adaption of the movie gets a 7/10 and as the show itself 9/10. I would definitely love to see it again. It truly is a wonderful show! Big Fish Chicago previews Updated On: 4/3/13 at 10:16 PM

massofmen
#38Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:20pm

im sorry anyone who thinks the addams family is a better score than the wild party by andrew lippa is delusional at best and in a coma at worst.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#39Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:31pm

The words "best" and "ADDAMS FAMILY" should never even occupy the same sentence.
Updated On: 5/2/13 at 11:31 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#40Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:40am

I think I know the answer, but is this more based on the movie or the novel? A combination? I've read the book but haven't seen the movie. They seem to have taken lots of liberties for the movie from what I've seen and heard about it.

#41Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:24pm

Well I've never listened to The wild party score so maybe it is :)

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#42Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:25pm

Officially, the show is based on both the novel and the movie. The musical's bookwriter, John August, was also the author of the screenplay. But when I interviewed him for BroadwayWorld two weeks ago, I got the impression that he took a fresh start with the material, because he could see Daniel Wallace's novel working as a musical even while he was adapting it for film. But perhaps not a 100% complete start. I think he (and composer-lyricist Lippa) were looking at the story and the characters and were making a musical out of them, without worrying whether a certain line or scene had been in a previous iteration or not. Does that help?

https://chicago.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-INTERVIEWS-Kate-Baldwin-Bobby-Steggert-Andrew-Lippa-and-John-August-of-the-Pre-Broadway-Tryout-of-BIG-FISH-in-Chicago-20130321

neonlightsxo
#43Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/4/13 at 2:27pm

BroadwayBoy, when you say Norbert never before got to show off his voice, you must not be familiar with the Last Five Years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

drewmangroup Profile Photo
drewmangroup
#44Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/5/13 at 12:49am

I attended tonight's performance 3rd performance I believe. Like the movie, I feel the present time with the son weights down the story. It should feel whimsical, but as phantom mentioned, it's uninspired. Like they saw all these ingredients for a hit musical and put them together, but it's never funny enough or poignant enough. The backstory lacks a narrative so there is no real anticipation of what is to come; just wait for the son to figure out why his dad tells such goofy stories.

I did get the sense that the audience was indifferent during the first act and got into it a bit during the second act. I concur it was remarkably fluid for such an early performance, which is troubling because there is, by my account, no easy way to attend to the challenges mentioned by myself and other board members.

musicalfool
#45Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/5/13 at 9:16pm

Hi all, LONG time lurker, first time posting here. Honestly, I have been reading this board for years but never really felt the need to jump into the fray. Until now.

While, you are all entitled to your opinions about this show, I felt completely the opposite from most posters so far. So, respectfully, i disagree.

I was totally thrilled by this show.

I have never been a big Lippa fan, but this score was charming, moving and brings his work to a whole new level. The cast was uniformly excellent (except maybe for Krystal Brown who doesn't have much of a role to work with). I saw the third preview and could not believe what good shape the show was in.

Susan Stroman's work is deceptively simple at times and lovely and grandiose at others. The movement and the direction of the performers is a sight to see. Not in a "spectacle" sense, though there were moments of that, but in a "this is how theater is meant to move us" way. Storytelling though clever, well done, tight movement is a lost art in most Broadway musicals these days.

I hope those of you who haven't seen it yet will keep an open mind. The story was incredibly moving and I really felt like it was a special night. I hope to see it in NY when I come in the fall.

Also, has anyone heard anything about a possible extension in Chicago? I have friends visiting in late May and I'd love for them to see it.

BroadwayBelter3
#46Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/6/13 at 12:18am

I was at the 2nd performance and luckily a lot of the sound issues seemed to be worked out by then. Only a couple flubs. There were a couple quick changes that didn't quit make it but it's still early. I have never read the book but it was very similar to the movie. Go figure with who wrote the script. For me, Stroman should of just focused on directing. I feel like she missed the boat with the choreography. A lot of great opportunities for good dancing presented itself and then were disappointments. For example, the witch's song, the giant's song, and Showdown. I for the most part enjoyed the graphics. Some were a little misplaced but I think it helps to get the stories he told across.
I think Norbert does the best he can. I think this role is very different from his "typical" type roles. He does have to play a more mature character at times. He doesn't play a fun character like he has in other shows. At times the show calls for goofy and fun and he does it well. His voice sounds amazing. I agree with the critiques that the son is a little harsh. If they had the younger son playing more into the stories it would of lessened the anger by the time he was an adult and heard them a million times. Bobby Steggert sounded amazing in everything but "Showdown." Something was not working with the song other then story wise. I think if they would of raised the key to give him more of a belt it would of been a little more exciting. Kate Baldwin sounds amazing in everything. She serves the purpose of pointing out never to give up on the dad and to stand by him no matter what. She is great!
Pros for the show:
It is still in previews
It has some great parts that I feel touch the heart especially because of Kate Baldwin
There were times I found myself thinking I bet they do this and they surprised me in a good way with choices
Songs (The God's Honest Truth, This River Between Us, I know What You Want, Bigger, Time Stops, Daffodils, Fight the Dragons, I Dont Need a Roof)
My husband went and saw the musical and he doesn't get into them that much but he left humming "Fight the Dragons"
He enjoyed the show which means that your non-traditional theatre fan will be impressed with the gimics

Cons for the show
Songs (Born For the Water and Showdown)
Get rid of "Showdown" because it's not necessary
The fire dancer after the camp scene ends (what is that?)
Better stilt dancing
The book but same problems as the movie
The french wife
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the show actually ends with a reprise of "The God's Honest Truth" which is the first song. I understand the reason for choosing this song but I would of liked for it to be a reprise of "Fight the Dragons." I like an ending with this song because during the original song Norbert tells his son he is going to have to be the man of the house while he is gone and it is built around Norbert not being there anymore. I really enjoyed this song and would of loved to see more done with this song.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#47Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/6/13 at 12:38am

Back from the Friday night (4/5) show. Excuse me, I have some tissues I need to throw away. There. I'm better. My comments are a little lengthy.

I didn't know what to expect. I sort of liked the movie, but wasn't a big fan. I only saw it one time in the movie theater and I don't think I've ever caught it on television. I found this version of the story more touching, more emotional and tighter than the movie - even thought it's longer! And thus more memorable.

The end of this show is so well done - "How It Ends" as delivered by Mr. Butz is incredibly effective. Lots of sniffling - although the level of your reaction may depend on your personal life. I don't know if the end is a spoiler or not - given the movie and several early foretellings -

Norbert does get to sing out much more than in Dirty Scoundrels and Catch Me If You Can. He does seem to embody Edward Bloom really well and shifts between "young" and "old" seamlessly. Just little things in his stature and movements. He looks to be having fun when he should. Excellent job.

Kate Baldwin was a dream. Her "Time Stops" could be a standard, some day. She is mostly one-note supportive and understanding wife - but I relished every moment she was on stage.

Bobby Steggert is wasted. He doesn't get to do much - and his character is annoying. As others have said, his anger at his father doesn't ring true. In the second act, there is a number where young Will is enthralled by his father's stories - but when we first see young Will in Act I, he is already turned off by his father. There has to be that moment when the young boy first starts to question his father's stories - to set up the disappointment and sense of betrayal. The wedding scene needs to have more than Will's mom saying "Dad promised" - there has to be a more dramatic exchange with Dad to prompt the break. The song "This River Between us" tries to set up the conflict - and it's almost there, but just didn't do it for me.

Krystal Joy Brown needs a dialect coach. I have a better fake french accent - and mine is pretty bad. But, she does look good!

There are some amazing sequences - particularly the witch's sequence. "I Know What You Want" The costumes and lighting and choreography were nearly breathtaking and I sat with wonder at what was being achieved on stage. That said, I thought the witch would belt more or scat or just "get down with it" more. It just felt like it could have been more on the vocals. Still, this was probably my favorite part of the show.

The circus sequence goes on and on and on. The elephant bit was cute but unnecessary. The song "Closer to Her" itself takes too long. Even the opening bit "Little Lamb from Alabama" could be trimmed.

The song "Bigger" starts out with such promise and then kind of fades away. I agree that I expected more of a major dance from Karl the Giant to blow the audience away. Maybe that's to come.

The Western number is deadly. Deadly dull. Uninteresing in concept, execution and music. It adds nothing. The Act II opening "Red White and True" could have been cute - but doesn't really add to the plot - it's not as wild a story - and it just kind of sits there. I thought it was going to turn into a kind of "Favorite Son" ala Will Rogers Follies. It's just not rousing enough to open Act II.

Lots of choreography in the show. The ensemble gets a real work out and lots of opportunities to shine. Major use of lighting - the projections were effective for the most part - but I didn't feel like they were used in place of scenery (like in Bring it On) - Donald Holder is listed as lighting designer and I think he did an amazing job.

There were some mic issues tonite - Steggert was difficult to hear especially when he was singing - some struggles with costume changes and one set change that took an extra minute (with open mics so you could hear people directing traffic!)

There's a lot to admire in this show - some excellent effects, some thrilling choreography - and I think it will get even tighter - and perhaps "bigger" - and if you're not getting just a bit misty at the end, you have a cold cold heart.

So, I would definitely recommend the show.

Lastly, we got tickets using the discount code "STORY" - there also is a discount code "SPRING" - and while they were supposed to be expired, they still worked. Left Orchestra seats with taxes and fees were $60. And the view was excellent. If you use the code "THANKYOU", you get $20 off tickets for Sunday-Thursday performances, per a bookmark they handed out after the show, although the bbookmark says for "select seating locations".

P.S. Saw it with a television writer/producer who thought the first act went on too long and most could have been cut. he enjoyed the second act though.

Updated On: 4/6/13 at 12:38 AM

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#48Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/7/13 at 10:16am

How are the circus scenes in the show? And could someone describe, or perhaps PM me, telling about how the show ends? I've seen the film and was curious was it just the plot or the plot and staging that cause the audience to tear up?

One more thing re: Krystal Joy Brown. Is it her performance or the role that people are criticising?

Orangesaretuesdays
#49Big Fish Chicago previews
Posted: 4/7/13 at 11:15am

The fact that they are using projections just really turns me off to this. Especially a story like this, I feel should have colorful sets (not technology) and have a really carnival ensemble feel to the big production numbers. I also think it would be an interesting concept to not have the son sing until the end when he finally tells a story to his father. And I guess this is why I'm not the director, but thats just my thoughts.

Yeah, I really like the sound of the cast and the music I've heard this far and honestly, I'll probably see it when it comes to NYC.

Videos