TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 12:14am

This starts on June 13. Is anyone going? Can't wait to hear about the craziness coming out of New World Stages when Amanda Plummer and Brad Dourif join forces.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 12:53am

Sounds like an Event to me.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 12:57am

I had tickets for Monday's original first preview and then switched them for Wednesday night. Wednesday was canceled and now Thursday has been canceled.

My friends and I are going to give up on exchanging tickets until there is proof that the production has actually begun performances!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CurtainPullDowner
#3TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 1:12am

I hope someone involved in the process is writing this sh*t down.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#4TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 1:16am

The reason we've been given for the canceled first previews has been technical/set issues. This production better have a turn table and two helicopters for me to believe that line at this point!

The thing is, I really want to see the play and Plummer. I hope things get on track this weekend and they are able to start next week.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#5TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 1:21am

It's weird that Playbill still has the article saying it starts performs on Thursday.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

CurtainPullDowner
#6TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 1:25am

I still get acid flashbacks of Plummer in AGNES.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/13/13 at 2:45pm

Tonight's performance isn't cancelled.
I just walked past TKTS and they had it listed as an available show.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 6/13/13 at 02:45 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#8TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 8:02am

C'mon. We're DYING. Anyone?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

PlayItAgain
#9TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 8:43am

there only been like 2 performances and they cancelled this weekend and tonight due to amanda suffering from a "knee injury".

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#10TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 8:50am

Oh. I retract my question, then.

Wait. No, I don't.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#11TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 9:03am

I can empathize with Ms. Plummer. When I saw OUT CRY in 1973 (as the play was called then) I left the Lyceum with a brain injury and have never fully recovered.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#12TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 9:55am

I did the play in college. My condolences to the cast.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

stevenycguy
#13TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 10:00am

Telecharge lists the running time as a lengthy 2 hours 15 minutes for only a 2 character play. I imagine it's tons of lines to memorize.

iluvtheatertrash
#14TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 10:13am

And yet TALLEY'S FOLLEY felt like all of 5 minutes. 5 exquisite minutes that I never wanted to end.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

After Eight
#15TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 11:50am

The play is an enigma, but Williams's language offers momentary rewards. Both cast members do a standout job, and the direction is expert.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#16TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 12:46pm

I don't know this play. But I recall having once heard an actress who was doing it describe "the obstacle" (as in that which keeps a character from realizing an objective) described as the set itself. Perhaps that's an indication of the set's importance in the play and that set issues really are involved in the cancellations.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#17TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/17/13 at 8:10pm

I've only red one of the published versions--but the play does indeed have (expectedly) beautiful language. Funny though, I always got the impression it didn't use much of a set at all.

customsay
#18TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/18/13 at 9:08am

I saw last Friday's preview and found the play to be a fascinating curiosity. As with most of Williams' less produced and more obscure work it's not a consistently engrossing piece of writing but it’s shot through with flashes of brilliance and beauty. And you can feel him reaching for something new (for him) in the style and tone of this play, which is admirable.

This was my first experience seeing Plummer on stage. It was a second preview, and considering the postponement of the first preview ("technical difficulties") and Plummer's reputation as an eccentric, I was a little concerned her performance might fall short of expectations. But she was glorious. Especially considering it was an early preview of a two-hour plus show in a big role with a lot of tricky language. Neither she nor Dourif called for lines or appeared to stumble at all, and the two of them are extremely well matched here. They’re an authentically quirky pair with serious stage chops who are nicely suited to these roles and partner each other beautifully.

I've always loved Plummer's work and heard such great things about her on stage. She really is extraordinary. The biggest surprise for me about her performance here is how unmannered it was. She gave a rich, distinctive take on this unusual role both vocally and physically (no sign of knee trouble) that was detailed, alive in the moment, and perfectly modulated for the small venue. I’d love to catch the show later in the run to see how the performance grows.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/19/13 at 12:36am

I've seen a lot of first/second/third previews and never had anyone call for line, so I wouldn't expect that to ever happen. I'm sure they've been rehearsing for awhile.

I have to ask: How was the set?

customsay
#20TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/19/13 at 1:37am

Oh, I've heard many actors call for lines during early previews, even some pretty well-known ones (Bette Midler, I'm looking at you!).

I'm not sure what Williams' stage directions call for design-wise. He's usually very detailed and specific about these things. This production's set is impressionistic, I'd say. A skeletal representation of a living room stage set that the actors inhabit, with an upright piano (which the program mentions has a history with Williams), a few pieces of furniture, a reel to reel tape player, and two big sunflowers painted on the back wall which figure prominently in the text.

Nothing super striking or innovative, but It's functional, it works, it's not a liability.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 6/19/13 at 6:34pm

Hm. STrange.

aaronb
#22TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 7/16/13 at 1:14pm

Still would like to see this. I'm giving out two free tickets on my blog, if anyone is interested.
Link

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 7/16/13 at 1:46pm

It is an interesting play. I know of people who walked out at intermission and it is one of those plays that you must have to hang with till the end. And even then, there is no big "payoff" but if you were paying attention, it should spark a lot of conversation. It is kind of lie a puzzle that you may be able to solve a few ways.

Just give the world Love.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#24TWO-CHARACTER PLAY Previews
Posted: 7/16/13 at 1:53pm

It's actually in the text that Clare "go up" on lines during the play-within-a-play sequence and appear to start ad-libbing.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body