pixeltracker

Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!- Page 6

Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#125Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 5:51pm

Justin Timberlake might make it work AND sell tickets.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#126Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:05pm

I expect after NPH leaves that they will have Jinkx Monsoon go into the show.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#127Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:06pm

The more I scroll back through this thread the more points I agree with! First thanks to who ever commented on the over praise Mayer and Mitchell gave NPH- Paul McCartney he ain't! I think they're going after the people who recall his Doogie days which aren't exactly the audience for this! He would have been an appropriate replacement for Broderick in Nice Work, and that's his target audience! Cumming would've been a better choice! He does brilliant performances of this material in his act and recorded some of it too I believe. Someone also stated that "he can do anything" IMO, he thinks he can do anything- has no one referenced his shakey, thin vocals in the Company Concert where all of the performances other than his were stellar! He certainly didn't command that performance! I'm not jumping on any band wagon- I've been riding it for awhile! I just think he's overrated! And I think Rannel's small performance at the Tony's more than convinced me he would've been more entertaining than NPH and his endless Mike Tyson jokes that grew tired by the second one! If he wasn't on CBS, I would've loved to see who the network would've gotten! I've never thought NPH and rocker, other than selling tickets, I don't know where the producers/director came up with the idea either!

Updated On: 6/17/13 at 06:06 PM

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#128Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:13pm

I will always regret missing NPH in Assassins. I’m not going to miss this one. Don’t care if NPH comes off as over-confident. He is talented, clever, funny, entertaining and, as we all know, confidence is damn sexy.
Now all I have to do is learn to like the music in this show. I'm afraid I'm a little too old but, gosh darn it, I'm sure I can do it.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#129Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:18pm

PlayItAgain -- just one bit of housekeeping. If/Then will go to the Richard Rodgers, not the Booth. So in theory, the Booth is free (at least in terms of announced shows).

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#130Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:20pm

I think they're going after the people who recall his Doogie days which aren't exactly the audience for this!

I don't even know how to respond to that. It's like we're living on different planets.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

FindingNamo
#131Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:21pm

It was Trask who made the McCartney joke. I hope all the cray crays in this thread realize the opening line of the show is aimed right at their stupid heads.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#132Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:21pm

I might be older than you and I love this music!

also, Hedwig isn't exactly a sexy character. And isn't full of confidence. He questions a lot about his life.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#133Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:25pm

^this thank you! My point exactly! Deeper than NPH's abilities!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#134Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:25pm

This may be the thread that finally breaks BWW for me.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#135Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:27pm

NPH may not be rocker, like JCM- who memorably performed in such rock pieces as The Secret Garden, workshops of Into the Woods, and Hello Again.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TheatreFan4
#136Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:30pm

I might be older than you and I love this music!

Gurl, I think you're special case having listened to it for 2 years straight. :3

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#138Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:34pm

"I expect after NPH leaves that they will have Jinkx Monsoon go into the show."

I'll wanna see both casts!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#139Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:36pm

I would be first in line to see Jinkx Monsoon do this on Broadway.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TheatreFan4
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#141Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:52pm

When did BWW posters become the Tea Party for theatre-goers?

I seriously feel like I've entered a realm where logic and basic awareness aren't even options.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#142Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:57pm

"Gurl, I think you're special case having listened to it for 2 years straight. :3"

haha, true. BUT- after seeing this show the first time, and falling in love with the songs, I never left that theater!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#143Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 6:57pm

Like, I get that people have performers that stick in their craws (Robbie's is Helen Hunt, mine is Julia Roberts) and I admit I was someone who found Harris tiresome after last year's Tonys only to be gobsmacked at how great he (and the show) was this year, but I just can't believe how so many people refuse to acknowledge that (at least on paper) this sounds like perfect casting. Or, even if you can't go that far, at least sounds like logical casting.

Updated On: 6/17/13 at 06:57 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#144Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 7:05pm

Now I just really wanna know who's playing Yitzhak.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Someone in a Tree2
#145Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 7:06pm

I will admit that the incredible gender-bending quality JCM had in spades is missing for me in NPH, much as I've liked Neil a lot onstage. Ridiculous to spell out in this day and age, but simply being gay doesn't go nearly far enough in satisfying that uniquely lost-in-between-2-genders identity that is Hedwig.

Updated On: 6/17/13 at 07:06 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#146Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 7:07pm

I don't think John Cameron Mitchell is Hedwig when he's out of character, either, though.

Someone in a Tree2
#147Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 7:12pm

True, not in character, but JCM is a sparrow of a man with incredibly girl-like features.
NPH is a 6'2" gym-built manly man, especially now that he's reached his 40's.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#149Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
Posted: 6/17/13 at 7:16pm

Didn't know NPH was so tall/big. I guess the boots won't be high heeled.