pixeltracker

Montego Glover as Leading Player?- Page 3

Montego Glover as Leading Player?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#50Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:16pm

The role of The Leading Player for the ART production came down to Patina Miller and Karen Olivo. As I said earlier, Tracie Thoms did the first reading a couple years ago. It was always part of Paulus's concept that the role be played by a woman, so I don't imagine that will change as this production's life evolves.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Visceral_Fella
#51Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:28pm

I could see Felicia Boswell and Saycon Sengbloh having success in the role.

I don't think she's the best fit for the role, nor do I think she'd do it, but I'd love to see some of Sherie Rene Scott's acting choices.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#52Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:29pm

I just found out that Ben Vereen was his "godfather", they should offer Usher the role as time goes by, I personally think he would be amazing.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#53Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:32pm

^ Only minus the "god" part, if you believe gossip. Usher can sing, he can dance. Trouble is he can't act for beans.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 6/26/13 at 07:32 PM

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#54Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:50pm

That's what the quotation marks were for...Do you really need really good acting skills for the Leading Player? I haven't seen the show, so I'm not sure. I would think your singing, dancing, and acrobatics are the main priorities in this show.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#55Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 7:51pm

I feel like replacing with Montego is going downhill. Montego's got a good voice but, as others have said, I'm not so confident she has the acting chops and nuance that this role requires.

As I was scrolling through the thread, I got all kinds of excited about Asmeret - then nearly died when someone said Condola. I adore Condola Rashad and would see her do just about any show. Love Tracie Thoms too.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#56Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 8:20pm

I'd love Rebecca Naomi Jones, or going back to Passing Strange, De'Adre Aziza. What ever happened to her, anyway?

Also on my shortlist? Deidre Goodwin, one of my favorite Velmas.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 6/26/13 at 08:20 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#57Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 8:31pm

everythingtaboo, De'Adre Aziza works all the time. She was recently in DETROIT '67 at The Public and she's currently in COMEDY OF ERRORS in the park. She'd be a dynamite Leading Player.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

broadway_show_fan
#58Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 9:04pm

can Rebecca Naomi Jones dance that well?

Deidre would be great.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#59Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 9:16pm

Karen Olivo as the LP? That would be insane

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#60Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 10:03pm

RACHELLE RAK, PLEASE!

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#61Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 10:29pm

Rachelle Rak isn't a particularly gifted singer...or actress..

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#62Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 11:50pm

^I tend to agree, Rak's talents would be better used as a replacement for D'Amboise. I suggested Anika Noni Rose earlier, I know I'll get some flack I also know she's shooting her television show, but I don't think I'm off the mark with Sutton Foster- I agree not ideal casting, but producers may just put her in play! She's a triple threat.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#63Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 11:51pm

I know Rachelle was involved with at least the workshop of this revival, I guess she backed out of the ART production for the Flashdance tour?

Nice decision, puus...

broadway_show_fan
#64Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 12:36am

I'd be back to see Sutton Foster in a heartbeat, even though I don't think she's exactly right for it. She reads more "goofy" than "devious" if you ask me.

And - I adore Rak and wish she was in this.

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#65Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 12:56am

Someone mentioned Murney here - which, if anything should be replacing D'Amboise. Her performance in the 2000 concert w/Terrance Mann was legendary. Either her, or Jan Maxwell would be great I think.

As for the LP, I agree with Saycon + Karen Olivio. Both would be fantastic, and I'd love for Saycon to get more exposure. I wonder whose going to replace Andrea Martin - wouldn't it be amazing to see Jackie Hoffman? (Though, can she do those acrobatic moves?)

ElphabaGoodman
#66Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 1:03am

So glad Saycon Sengbloh has been mentioned. I think she would be fabulous!

broadway_show_fan
#67Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 1:03am

I kept forgetting to mention that I'd also love Karen Olivo. She would be so fantastic. I really do hope she returns to the theater at some point.

As for Andrea's replacement - I'd die over Kelly Bishop or Priscilla Lopez. But is that too much to hope for?

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#68Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 1:14am

Olivo would be incredible!! Would be very different, but it would be a crazy "comeback" to theater. I don't think she would want to take that short of a "retirement/break", though, to make it significant in her life.

broadway guy
#69Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 1:22am

All we need to do is fill the the Music box theatre with Bacon and then we will have her.

Updated On: 6/27/13 at 01:22 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#70Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 2:06am

Sutton is not going to replace a Tony Award winner lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#71Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 3:17am

What about Chita Rivera replacing Andrea? She played Fastrada in the 1981 Televised version. I don't really care for her, but it's a thought LOL. But I really think it will be REALLY hard to replace Andrea

Darreyl with an L!

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#72Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 3:26am

The PINK idea is fantastic, though I wonder if she has 8-shows-a-week chops.

I'd love for them to cast a white male, though -- just to watch the boards here after the announcement.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#73Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 5:57am

Could CZJ handle the score?

Ann Reinking would've been perfection some years ago.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#74Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/27/13 at 6:07am

Is this a hypothetical casting thread or serious? Tony and Academy Award winning A-list celebrity Catherine Zeta-Jones is not going to replace Patina Miller in PIPPIN lol

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000