pixeltracker

Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?- Page 2

Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/20/13 at 7:49pm

I agree with Tazber about Paige O'Hara's Jerry Herman album. No wonder the two ended up becoming close friends!

For some reason, I absolutely adore Barbara Cook's Disney CD, although I'm not a particular fan of pre-Menken or John, non-Sherman Brothers Disney songs.

We have virtually worn out Judy Kaye's CDs (one is a tribute to ladies of Broadway, the other a tribute to ladies of movie mussels).

Laurie Beechman's albums don't have the special coherency of the above, but her singing is exquisite and her song choices are excellent. (The fact that she was dying when she recorded some of them adds a special poignancy.)

If you can find a copy, you owe it to yourself to hear Mimi Hines' double-record (now 2 CD) recording from the 1960s. Nearly all the numbers are show tunes, including all the major songs from FUNNY GIRL, which she took over from Streisand and, if the recording is any indication, made her own.

Sam Harris has several great albums, but STANDARD TIME leaves the other guy-singers in the dust. it's not the huge range, it's the exquisite phrasing.

The phrase "Honorable Mention" hardly does justice to Sally Mayes, Cheyenne Jackson, Kristin Chenowith and, of course, Betty Buckley.

Dear Santa, what I'd really like for Christmas is a Hugh Panaro CD.

ETA Damn! How could I forget Pamela Myers' THE CHANCE TO SING. The song choices tend toward the obscure, but on each she is accompanied by the song's composer on the piano!
Updated On: 8/20/13 at 07:49 PM

karloskar2
#26Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 7:00am

Good to see how often Randy Graff's Doing Something Right and Judy Kuhn's Just in Time are being mentioned, as they are albums which I regularly play without skipping a single track. Other solo CD's which I would recommend as being similarly without fault would be:

Alison Fraser: A New York Romance
Norm Lewis: This is the Life
Andrea Burns: A Deeper Shade of Red
Judy Holliday: Trouble is a Man
Sally Mayes: The Story Hour
Alan Cumming: I Bought A Blue Car Today
David Campbell: Yesterday is Now
Amanda McBroom: Midnight Matinee and A Waiting heart
Andrea Marcovicci: New Words
Liz Callaway: The Story goes On
Lillias White: From Brooklyn to Broadway
Caroline O'Connor: What I Did for Love.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#27Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 7:12am

Our Private World: Sally Mayes Sings Comden & Green

BroadwayGirl3
#28Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:10am

Give me Laura Osnes singing ANYTHING :) I love her Cafe Carlyle cd though, so fun! She has the best voice going, Broadway or anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#29Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:18am

Susan Egan's CDs
Barbara Cook's CDs
Sally Mayes' CDs
Alison Fraser's CDs
Ann and Liz Callaway's Sibling Revelry

and my own bias since I worked on it - Kerry Butler's, "Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust"

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#30Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:27am

I've got a thing for the posthumous Steve Barton albums Only for a While and Encore: The Private Collection. One of the most distinctive voices I've ever had the pleasure to hear. Gone far too soon.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#31Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:40am

Judy Kuhn's Serious Playground

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

KathyNYC2
#32Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:48am

-Stephanie J Block - This Place I Know.
- Scott Alan - Live

My own personal favorite - composers Scott Burkell and Paul Loesel - Sorta Love Songs. Lots of amazing Broadway talent singing the songs

Many others but these come to mind immediately.

mamaleh
#33Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:56am

Block, Hilty, Mayes, Shapiro Gravitte, yes--and also Steven Pasquale's "Somethin' Like Love." Wish he'd release another CD.

Updated On: 8/23/13 at 10:56 AM

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#34Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 11:36am

though i have never seen ithem, my parents have the following soundtracks that i have enjoyed

Man of LaMancha
Fiddler on the Roof
Two by Two

Currently i like Once, Cinderella, Dracula, Spiderman and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Hilty

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#35Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 1:09pm

Patti LuPone-Live!
Patti LuPone-Far Away Places
Idina Menzel-I Stand
Julia Murney-I'm Not Waiting

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#36Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 1:48pm

Laurie Beechman's stuff touches me deeply. I had the privilege of seeing her as Fantine. She was astounding (and I was really young and still remember her performance-little did I know that she was in the first throes of the cancer that would take her from us all too soon). "Listen to My Heart" has "I Dreamed a Dream" on it and I cry listening to it. I also like her final album "No One is Alone" very much.

I just wish she was still here. Even as a kid, I loved her voice and the pain and heartbreak she conveyed as Fantine. (She'd have made a heck of a Fosca.)

I also love various recordings of Bernadette Peters, the two Alice Ripley/Emily Skinner albums and some of Judy Kuhn's recordings. (I have a wishlist but I'll hold onto that!)

holdmetouchme Profile Photo
holdmetouchme
#37Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 3:31pm

Barbara Cook - Close as Pages in a Book (all songs by Dorothy Fields).

A must have CD

Perhaps it was not a dream.

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#38Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 4:42pm

Christine Andreas LOVE IS GOOD.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#39Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 8:23pm

Two more-

Alan Cumming- I Bought A Blue Car Today. Cumming is a fantastic post-rock song interpreter with a very distinctive voice and delivery, and his song choices are inspired.

Mandy Patinkin- Mandy Patinkin. As far as high camp, there's not a lot campier and gleefully kitschier than Patinkin's self-titled album. The mix of sincere ballads, hyperactive character pieces and uptempos, sudden impassioned screams and an obvious fetish for blackface crooning and minstrelsy makes this one a decidedly off-kilter treat.

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#40Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/22/13 at 9:26pm

Patti LuPone's Live
Stephanie J. Block's This Place I Know

VeraCharles3 Profile Photo
VeraCharles3
#41Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 9:29am

Bernadette Peters - Sondheim Etc (My favourite live album)
Bernadette Peters - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
Linda Eder - Broadway My Way
Linda Eder - By Myself

explorer - I need to buy a Christine Andreas CD, so thank you, I shall look for that one.

Gaveston - I had no idea Pamela Myers had recorded a solo CD - I am so buying it. Thank you.

Videos