pixeltracker

The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark- Page 3

The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#50The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 10:28pm

"Absolutely not, charliebrown. The next show will have to be a star vehicle for a legitimate superstar who can draw the Middle America viewers in. Just as THE SOUND OF MUSIC was."

Thanks Bob Greenblatt! It's nice to know you frequent these boards and can keep up informed of all your definite decisions!

Darquegk, I agree and Parenthood is a great example. Also, Friday Night Lights would work as well. I know money is the bottom line but it's always great when art wins over capitalism. I hope they will continue doing more of these but with someone who can act.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#51The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 10:34pm

Sutton--

Blocking you is not enough to keep you from spoiling my threads.

I am asking you politely not to post in my threads anymore.

Thanks in advance for complying.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#52The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 10:55pm

It's strange how you thank people when they haven't agreed to a thing. It's also odd you don't tell other people to do this, as many people are verbally abusive bullies. Again, if I find something worth commenting on, I will absolutely comment on it. You don't get to decide who posts and who does not.

As always, I never attack unless attacked. Have a pleasant evening.

Liza's Headband
#53The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 11:11pm

"Thanks Bob Greenblatt! It's nice to know you frequent these boards and can keep up informed of all your definite decisions!"

You can crack trollish jokes all you like but I hope & pray that any one with any kind of knowledge and understanding of television would realize that for NBC to continue this new, unproven 'venture' 'and pump millions of dollars into it, the projection cannot and absolutely will not be something like MY FAIR LADY starring Laura Benanti. Does Bob Greenblatt really need to tell you that? What about your own common sense? Connect the dots....

ETA: "I hope they will continue doing more of these but with someone who can act. "

As long as it's a superstar with national appeal who will also draw in Middle America viewers--the most difficult but important demographic to capture--then yes, you would be correct. Updated On: 12/6/13 at 11:11 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#54The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 11:28pm

I asked you politely because you make every thread you post in so unpleasant.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 11:53pm

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. Once again, I never attack anyone first. I have read literally thousands of snarky, abusive and cruel posts on this site from other people including the two that attacked me in this thread. As long as you have asked those commenters the same exact thing, I have no problem doing what you have asked. But, again, it's never me first.

Updated On: 12/7/13 at 11:53 PM

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#56The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/6/13 at 11:59pm

^^^ That is true.

Liza, I was just funnin' ya anyways. Lighten up!

"As long as it's a superstar with national appeal who will also draw in Middle America viewers--the most difficult but important demographic to capture--then yes, you would be correct."

Is that why Brandy was cast in Cinderella in 1997? Same kind of thing?

Joviedamian
#57The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:36am

If I was to pick someone to make a big star out of them...I would have picked Sutton Foster.

Also, why did the Von Trapp family home sometimes look orange when on screen, a lot? Some costumes blended in badly!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#58The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 2:01am

While obviously the producers would want a cross over name like Underwood, it should be pointed out that she wasn't the reason this got made. NBC pitched the producers on doing a TV version of Oklahoma! originally. They countered with Sound of Music and came up with the live gimmick--then Carrie came into the equation.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#59The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 7:52am

A TV version of Oklahoma!? ...why, exactly? Good thing Zadan/Meron countered with The Sound of Music, I don't see Oklahoma! getting this much buzz from the general public. (Although now we know where the idea of both R&H and Carrie Underwood likely came from.)

I would also hasten to add, as a producer myself, that Liza's Headband is totally on the mark. While the exact story of how this special came about may have occurred in a roundabout fashion, rest assured that be it Oklahoma! or The Sound of Music, such a project would need guaranteed star elementation to be seen through to completion, and you can take that to the bank.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 12/7/13 at 07:52 AM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#60The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 9:41am

Of course this could not have been made without a bankable star. Too bad they didn't get one who could act.
I still enjoyed the show and am thrilled it got made. And whatever else you can say about Ms. Underwood, she still did better than Matthew Broderick did in "The Music Man". And that was taped. Could you imagine how bad he would have been if it was live.

Liza's Headband
#61The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 9:44am

"They countered with Sound of Music and came up with the live gimmick--then Carrie came into the equation."

That is partially incorrect. Neil and Craig stated in their most recent interview that Carrie was the very first piece of the puzzle. They knew, above and beyond everything else, they needed to have Carrie. Carrie was not part of the equation...she was the equation. Neil and Craig spelled that out pretty clearly.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#62The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 9:55am

The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark

Neurological reasons?...Oh brudder. I love this remark by Phyllis: "I have a negative response to bad acting. It makes me nostalgic for good acting. " Overall, I liked it. It was imperfect in some places, but very good in other areas. It's amazing how so many are having "theatrical meltdowns" over Carrie Underwood. Pass the popcorn.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 12/7/13 at 09:55 AM

KathyNYC2
#63The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 10:10am

Please no Oklahoma. I cannot sit through that show...even though I know it's a classic.

That's all.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#64The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/7/13 at 10:12am

My favorite for tv musical would be Xanadu...but I don't think that'll ever happen.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#65The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/8/13 at 12:36am

I didn't watch the broadcast but I've looked at pieces of it on the Web. I was surprised when I saw that "Something Good" was in it, because I recalled that Richard Rodgers wrote it for the movie. Namo, thanks for confirming that I was correct.

I suspect that the live action was the gimmicky part. I didn't think much of the results when the "Les Mis" movie shot the songs live. Having to put everything together in a live production that has to worry about ending on time, and neither has the benefit of retakes or a live audience to play off of, may be too much to expect.

Perhaps part of the issue with Carrie Underwood (aside from the fact that she is a singer, and not an actor who sings) is that her voice is so different from that of the iconic Julie Andrews. Yet, as long as she can hit the notes, that's fine. I may be heretical, and I LOVED the SOM movie as a kid, but Julie Andrews' voice wasn't what I would expect from a perky rebel who speaks her mind. Instead, Carrie Underwood's voice is more in keeping with how I view Maria's character. Nonetheless, I prefer hearing Julie Andrews' voice because I, like many theater fans, prefer vocals that sound more classical than pop.

You alone can make my song take flight.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#66The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/8/13 at 1:17am

"but again, it's never me first"

How soon they forget.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

ghostlight2
#67The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/9/13 at 10:56am

"You haters are all a bunch of dopamines."

No, Besty:

The Gentleman is a dope.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#68The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/9/13 at 11:17am

Thankfully, my brain and I can sit back and remember our favorite things—her whoop of surprise as she sits on a pine cone at the dinner table, her clicking her heels as she runs for the bus—and then I don’t feel so bad.

If this writer loves the film version of SOM as much as she claims she does she would have known that Maria does not click her heels as she runs for the bus. Maria gets off the bus and she clicks her heels while she's walking, running, skipping along her way to the Von Trapp estate.

S M D H

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#69The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/9/13 at 5:10pm

This is nice to see, we have already heard from Laura B, now its her young co stars loving on her as well!

How was working with Carrie and Stephen Moyer?

ARIANE: They were wonderful. Carrie was incredible; she worked very hard throughout this entire thing. Everyday I was like, 'I'm tired, I'm sore.' But then Carrie comes and and she had just been recording and [doing] interviews. It was very inspirational to work with someone who was so dedicated and never complains. Ever! And Stephen's lovely. It was interesting seeing him switch between Captain and Stephen.

JOE: Carrie's great. She has the prettiest voice, and she is so nice to the kids. I wasn't really expecting such an awesome person. I've listened to her music a lot and she always sounds beautiful, but I really didn't think she'd be spending so much time with the kids, and we kind of formed a bond offstage, too.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/reliving--the-sound-of-music-live---with-liesl-and-kurt-054202717.html

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
Updated On: 12/9/13 at 05:10 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#70The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/9/13 at 5:45pm

Everyone on Facebook seems to be loving this blogger's take on things, but I think he misses the point that social media magnifies complaining and discontent.

We've known that here on BroadwayWorld for 10 years now.

Eviscerating The Sound Of Music Live

lizzyzigs
#71The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/11/13 at 4:44pm

"I work in television (both creative and production). It's frustrating to be part of an industry that shies away from genuine, live classic theatre but glorifies such drivel as GLEE. I commend a major network for taking a leap of faith. It paid off, solely based on the ratings."

I would be much more inclined to commend the network if they'd had the balls to cast an actress actually capable of handling "live classic theatre" because IMO what they chose to do is more likely to damage the perception of the genre held by the wider masses than anything else.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#72The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/11/13 at 5:05pm

Over 20 million viewers would disagree with you, it seems. (This is counting the 3 million late views.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Liza's Headband
#73The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/11/13 at 5:09pm

If putting a country superstar in the starring role of Maria also means that we get a more legitimate, classic broadcast of a musical theatre standard, then I support it. Every single time. One-hundred percent. I realize many on here disagree with that mindset. So be it.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#74The New Yorker explains the neurological reasons for the SOM snark
Posted: 12/11/13 at 10:40pm

My fav. comment here is the one from henrikegerman. Lauren Ambrose. What happened to her? To do a one night only prod. is perfect for the newbies who may struggle with an 8 a week schedule. I think she is waiting in the wings for the musical theatre world to recognize her talents & I want to see what she can do!

Updated On: 12/11/13 at 10:40 PM