ROCKY Reviews

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#50ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:11pm

That pull quote comparing Rocky to Wicked will be everywhere.

Glad to see Andy and Margo getting pretty good notices, but the score and book are being reviewed pretty much on par.

Edit: I don't feel like the moving of the audience really stops anything, it goes by really quick and is done with ease. That last scene is so full of emotion that you get swept up in it, and barely realize time had passed.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:11 PM

FindingNamo
#51ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:12pm

::Rex Reed calls the score "rich and serviceable."::

Rex is engaging in wish fulfillment.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Steve721
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#53ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:16pm

Yes, NY Times is negative

Every tool at the disposal of the creative team (and probably much of the show’s budget) is brought into play now for an all-out, multimedia assault on the senses that forces much of the audience to its feet. And I won’t say more, because why should I spoil the one real pleasure this show provides?

***Ouch!***

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:16 PM

PlayItAgain
#54ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:19pm

ouch, i give this one about a year.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#55ROCKY Reviews

I will throw a party the day Brantley retires

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#56ROCKY Reviews

"The city is on video and he runs in place. So does the show."

Pretty much sums it up.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#57ROCKY Reviews

NY Post is three stars out of four

“Eye of the Tiger” pops up as well, even if it’s actually from “Rocky III.” Too bad using that song and “Gonna Fly Now” (a?k?a Bill Conti’s original theme) only underline how Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens’ score lacks energy, not to mention soul.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/13/rocky-musical-scores-an-unexpected-knockout/

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:19 PM

ClumsyDude15
#58ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:20pm

Wow, he really short changed how good Margo and Andy are in their respective roles. Yes, the show has it's flaws, but I feel like when those two are on stage, it works at it's best.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:20 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#59ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:20pm

I find it harder and harder to get through Brantley's reviews, it's like searching through the arrogant, self involved unwitty remarks to actually find an opinion.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#60ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:21pm

So glad Brantley liked Andy!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Steve721
#61ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:23pm

As others have said, if the tourist trade latches on to this (which could well happen given the spectacle of the last scene), the reviews won't matter any more than the pans of Wicked mattered.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#62ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:24pm

Wicked got pans?

PlayItAgain
#63ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:25pm

^the problem is, its in the Garden. last week this show made 43% gross potential and was playing to 75% capacity, these reviews could potentially sink it.

ClumsyDude15
#64ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:26pm

I don't think the reviews will matter all that much, because there are some good quotes they can pull. If they market it right, as others have said, it won't matter much at all what the reviews were like.

Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:26 PM

Trish2
#65ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:27pm

No surprises here….

Steve721
#66ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:28pm

"Wicked got pans?"

I'm not sure if this is serious question, but yes: "Overproduced, overblown, confusingly dark and laboriously ambitious jumble."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#67ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:29pm

First of all, the reviews aren't all that bad, there's plenty of good stuff being said. Second of all, it doesn't even matter. The world knows and loves Rocky. They want to see the show.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:31pm

Brantley is the illegitimate son of the old Rex Reed.Old Ben is a legend in his own mind.I have seen some of the shows he likes.No idea what your idea of entertainment is but neither do you. Hey Ben why don't you and David Cote get together and kiss each other's reflections in the mirror.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:31 PM

songanddanceman2
#69ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:32pm

Luckily the show got some good reviews from
Variety, Post etc because that mean spirited Times review is a disaster

davp
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#71ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:40pm

If anyone thinks Brantley had not made up his mind before he even sat down,I have a bridge I would like to sell them

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:40 PM

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#72ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:41pm

It's really weird to me how on this board when a show that people are excited about or have affection for those involved gets panned, there is endless complaining about how unfair the reviews are or launching attacks on the critics and calling them not legitimate, but when something that people dislike or are skeptical about gets bad reviews, everyone is very quick to be gleeful and start asking when it will close. Either reviews matter or are meaningless, but it shouldn't change based on whether or not you agree. Let's be honest, if reviews were completely irrelevant to success, then why would we have these threads for every show? Why would shows care so much about them? Why would pull quotes from them be all over the advertising for any show? People care what people are saying about the show. How much that affects the length of a run is debatable, but surely shows that don't fare well with critics have a harder go of it. But, for every Soul Doctor, there is certainly a Wicked. :)

Anyway, personally I think the show will run and have a good life on Broadway because it's a big recognizable name and a big spectacle, I don't see it closing anytime soon, probably not for at least a year or two. So cheers to the cast and crew hopefully enjoying a nice, long run!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#73ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:42pm

"Give them a boffo ending and they’ll forgive everything that came before. But here’s the thing: The rest of Rocky doesn’t need too much forgiveness...And this show, for all its knockout visuals and steroidal bombast, protects a core of sweetness and a love of primal storytelling. For every loser, lover and fighter out there, good news: Rocky is total theater and a total rush; it goes the distance."

Time Out New York...4 of out 5 Stars

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 10:42 PM

songanddanceman2
#74ROCKY Reviews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:46pm

I am not slagging critics off (I am one) I just hate Brantley