Cabaret Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:23pm

USA Today is a rave. Calls Williams "an unmissable star turn."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/theater/2014/04/24/broadway-review-cabaret/8043947/

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#51Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:27pm

Wow. That USA Today write up is certainly a love letter.

MadsonMelo
#52Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:30pm

Williams is not that divisive

* I misspelled the word Updated On: 4/24/14 at 10:30 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#53Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:43pm

Um, yah it is. There are several reviews saying she's bad, several reviews saying she's amazing, and very few in the middle. That's the definition of divisive. Updated On: 4/24/14 at 10:43 PM

Zoot Profile Photo
Zoot
#54Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:44pm

How were the reviews for John Benjamin Hickey as Cliff in '98? Tonight's NYT review gave one sentence to Bill Heck and his performance as Cliff and USA Today didn't even mention him.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:51pm

Can Brantley focus on the show he's reviewing for more than a few sentences for once? That's the very low bar I'm setting for him.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#56Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:55pm

How have Danny and Linda fared in all of these reviews?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#57Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:00pm

Surprised that Brantley didn't have nicer things to say about Emond. He's usually a big fan of her work.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#58Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:02pm

How have Danny and Linda fared in all of these reviews?

Burstein certainly won't provide much of a challenge to James Monroe Inglehart.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#59Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:03pm

NY Daily News is positive (4 out of 5 stars) except for Williams:

"In the tricky role that won Liza Minnelli an Oscar and Natasha Richardson a Tony, a platinum-blond Williams assumes an English accent and an almost jolly and girlish demeanor flecked with desperation. She comes off so feathery that Sally could fly away — except for her full-tilt go at the title song. Besides that final scene, Williams comes off paler and wispier than desired.

Maybe next time."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/cabaret-theater-review-article-1.1767838

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#60Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:07pm

That's the definition of divisive.

No, it's not, actually.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#61Cabaret Reviews

That's the definition of divisive.

No, it's not, actually.

KanderEbb Profile Photo
KanderEbb
#62Cabaret Reviews

Brantley usually falls for Linda Emond's acting, but this time he specially mentioned the brilliant performance by Gayle Rankin as Fraulein Kost instead. Seems that Linda Emond couldn't get a Tony this time...

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#63Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:11pm

My two cents on CABARET: http://jkstheatrescene.blogspot.com/2014/04/review-cabaret.html

Count me on the positive list! LOVED MS. WILLIAMS, MS. EMOND (and, of course, MR. CUMMING). Only qualms with MR. BUSRTEIN...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#64Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:15pm

No, it's not, actually.

Courtesy of Merriam Webster:

divisive (adj.): causing a lot of disagreement between people and causing them to separate into different groups.

Please tell me (an English teacher, by the way) how some critics calling her terrible and some critics calling her a revelation doesn't fit with that definition?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#65Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:16pm

NY Mag is a rave for Williams.

When we first get an eyeful of her, in a platinum bob and a pink babydoll negligee, she already looks, as she madly smiles, like she’s ready to break. You understand why Cliff (the solid Bill Heck) both adores and distrusts her. Not even Richardson, superb as she was, brought quite this sense of brimming irrepressibility to the role: irrepressible eagerness and irrepressible sorrow. And, somehow, both together.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/theater-review-cabaret.html

But his mistakenly writes that Rob Ashford is the co-director and choreographer.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#66Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:18pm

Anyway, back to the reviews.

Jesse Green for Vulture/NY Mag is mixed (leaning negative), though as ljay mentioned above, a rave for Williams and positive for Emond. Usually I find him to be pretty insightful, so I'm a little surprised that HE is surprised that Linda Emond has a good singing voice. Did he not do his research? Did he not know she played Abigail Adams in the 1776 revival? Anyway:

"The other great discovery here is Linda Emond (such a fine Linda Loman two seasons ago) as the landlady, Fraulein Schneider. Since this character exists only within the traditional part of the narrative — her story concerns a doomed love affair with a Jewish fruiterer, played well by Danny Burstein — her songs are less abstract; they express character directly. Emond, who has, it turns out, a terrific singing voice, uses it as naturally as speech, and in that way manages to exemplify the show’s greatness without seeming to perform it. Indeed, it’s an irony of this production, which for all my quibbles is nevertheless excellent and needs to be seen, that it is most excellent in the old ways: the pre-Cabaret ways."

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/theater-review-cabaret.html?mid=googlenews

Updated On: 4/24/14 at 11:18 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#67Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:19pm

With the exception of a couple, negatives on Williams seem to be almost u unanimous. For once I don't have the dissenting opinion. Makes me feel almost normal!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

MadsonMelo
#68Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:20pm

I think that of the 17/18 reviews that are out, 10 says good things about her, 4 says bad things and 3 or 4 says 'middle'. She's received more positive comments than negative, no?

Divisive is much more of a love or hate situation, and even if she has her detractors, mostly are praising her.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#69Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:23pm

Divisive has nothing to do with relative quantity. It has all to do with quality. 10 people loving her (I actually count fewer than 10) and 4 people saying she's unsuited still provides the dichotomy of "she's perfect" vs. "she's miscast". As soon as there is a plurality of both extremes, it's divisive.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, I LIKED Williams in the part, so I'm not criticizing her here. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. That's something a lot of people on here are clearly incapable of being. Updated On: 4/24/14 at 11:23 PM

A Director
#70Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:16am

After reading the New York Times review, it's clear James Franco hit the nail on the head; Ben Brantley is an idiot.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#71Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:03am

That has to be one of the worst reviews Brantley has written, right? He barely talks about the production, and the way he goes after Williams (not the fact he didn't like it, but the way he brings up the subject and his writing on her) rubs me the wrong way. Also surprised he didn't talk more about Emond since as I said earlier in the thread, I thought she was a major highlight.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wilmingtom
#72Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:15am

Williams has been largely well-received. A few dissenting voices questioned her interpretation of Sally more than her performance. I'm not counting her out next week.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#73Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/25/14 at 9:38am

"I think that of the 17/18 reviews that are out, 10 says good things about her, 4 says bad things and 3 or 4 says 'middle'. She's received more positive comments than negative, no? "

I didn't read 18 reviews. Only the major ones.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74Cabaret Reviews
Posted: 4/25/14 at 9:40am

So of the few you read, it was mostly unanimous?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."