Drama Desk Nominations

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#50Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:48pm

At this point, it seems conceivable that Idina Menzel could be the sole Tony nomination for If/ Then.

Updated On: 4/25/14 at 12:48 PM

Owen22
#51Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:00pm

It's the lack of a nomination for Cherry Jones (and the play) that sorta negates every other nomination. This is a performance (and revival) that might go down in history. I don't get it.

Though this is somewhat more subjective...but Michael Cerveris NOT being nominated for "Fun Home" makes me think that the DD nominators weren't just drunk, but poking heroin filled needles into their arms...

Updated On: 4/25/14 at 01:00 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#52Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:11pm

Yep, both Michael Cerveris and Beth Malone were absolutely incredible in Fun Home. Screw these awards.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#53Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:23pm

If Cherry and Audra wind up head to head, put them in a ring and let them duke it out. Whoever wins gets the Tony. To have either one a loser does not compute.

Poster Emeritus

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#54Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:26pm

I think Audra will win. I'd love a tie, since I think they're equally deserving, but Cherry will get her third some other year.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#55Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:49pm

No good

Audra has 5 . She can wait until her next show. Cherry needs to get another

Poster Emeritus

neonlightsxo
#56Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:51pm

Let's remember that Kinky Boots was barely recognized at the Drama Desks last year.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#57Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:52pm

I think Audra will win. Her show is selling very, very well and more importantly is currently playing. That will do it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:54pm

I assumed it had to do with performance and not whether or not a show was still running or not. Would you feel the same if Glass was still open & Lady Day had closed?

Poster Emeritus

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#59Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:56pm

Nope. I don't care who wins between the two of them-I loved both performances.

Audra is also very, very popular-and as Glinda says, 'it never hurts to be popular'.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 2:08pm

Again I thought it was all about performance and not a "popularity" contest.

We will agree to disagree. They are both deserving. We can hope for a tie @ Tony time.

Poster Emeritus

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#61Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 2:09pm

Really great and surprising to see Aladdin doing really well for the awards. And it sounds like it'll be nominated for Best Musical at the Tonys

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#62Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 2:16pm

Mr. Roxy-I loved both performances, but Audra is beloved in the community (yes, Jones is, too, but Audra has an impressive track record with the Tonys). I think the 'history making' factor works in her favor, plus her show is running. In a perfect world, there'd be a tie...but I think Lady Day takes the day...and I'm not complaining despite the fact I loved both performances equally.

KanderEbb Profile Photo
KanderEbb
#63Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 2:45pm

It's weird that Linda Emond is snubbed by all the nominations so far. I personally think she gave the best performance in a female role this season. Can't get it.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#64Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:06pm

Roxy- CONTACT did have dialogue.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#65Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:07pm

Because I'm a nerd, I figured I'd see how the Best Musical odds are stacking up.

Nominated by Outer Critics, Drama Desk, and Drama League:
Aladdin
Beautiful
Gentleman's Guide
Rocky
(sort of) After Midnight--it's in Revue for Drama Desk, but it's there

Nominated for 2 of the 3:
Bridges

Nominated from 1:
Bullets

Nobody loves:
If/Then

Obviously they're all different nominating groups, but the momentum for now seems to be behind the first 5. I can easily see Bridges sneaking in and forcing Rocky out (although Rocky was my favorite musical this season). But I'm increasingly feeling that Bullets will (rightly!) be left off the list.

And If/Then truly was one of the worst musicals I've seen in the past few years, so I'm just thrilled that no one is pretending the piece itself is good.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:09pm

I think After Midnight, Aladdin, Beautiful, and Gentleman's Guide are sure things for Best Musical nominations at this point.

The 5th spot (assuming they opt for 5) appears to be between Bridges and Rocky.

Bullets is a very distant possibility, and If/Then seems to have no chance.

pauL5Y
#67Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:13pm

After the reviews I was afraid Threepenny would get totally shut out, glad to see a nom for Laura. Would have been a pleasant surprise to find Lena Hall or Betsy Wolfe there too, that's usually a tough category though. Not surprised by lack of If/Then but was hoping for more. IMO Mays should edge out NPH, but happy to see nom for Pinkham too.

tom2000a
#68Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:18pm

I know this is not going to be popular, but I thought The Snow Geese was a lovely production. I thought the SET deserved to be nominated.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#69Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:25pm

Does anyone else think it's strange that a musical that garnered a nomination for best direction and best choreography wasn't nominated for best musical? (Stroman/Bullets). Do I see the Woody factor at work there?

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#70Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:36pm

Strange neither Big Fish or Les Miz did not get a nod for Projection design - especially Les Miz.

Poster Emeritus

LucyEth
#71Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:43pm

Breaking news: "Lady Day" has been deemed a play by the Tony committee, and not a musical. So Audra may break more than one record come Tony night.

TheatreKid3
#72Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:46pm

So excited for Adam Jacobs as well! What a nice surprise!

Updated On: 4/25/14 at 03:46 PM

BD80
#73Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 8:12pm

Adam Jacobs for Aladdin? What a joke. Don't get me started on how he was too old for the role.

I didn't like the show, but I'm amazed there's been no love for LaChanze in If/then. For me she was the only bright spot in the whole show.

I So hope that Kelly OHara and Steven Pasquale win. But I guess it's a Neil Patrick Harris shoo in.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#74Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 8:22pm

I am also happy for Anika Larsen to be getting a lot of awards love this season.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-