pixeltracker

Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#2Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:33pm

Not surprised but thought it would last until after Labor Day.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:35pm

Very sad. I'll have to make sure I see it at least once more. Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:48pm

I really like "Raining" and "I'm Done". Sorry to see it go - it seemed like a good opportunity to expand the demographic of Broadway show attendees (although I guess The Book of Mormon probably already has that role).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#4Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:48pm

The cast is all very talented and will hopefully find good wok again soon.
Wonder what will go into the Winter Garden next? This will be the first flop in my lifetime.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#5Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:49pm

I know opinion was wildly mixed, but I loved the show. I'm very sad to see it go. Am sure
I'll make it back one more time. You can't win 'em all. (Ba-dum-ching)

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#6Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:49pm

I am surprised that this is closing, very sad indeed. I am hoping it finds life on tour or in Vegas

Jordan Catalano
#7Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:50pm

Hopefully HEATHERS can move in there.

Jonwo
#8Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:52pm

The Winter Garden will find another show sooner or later. I think if Cameron Mackintosh wants it, it would be a good home for Miss Saigon when its comes to Broadway, another option is Finding Neverland should the tryout at ART be successful.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#9Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:53pm

Realistically, could this show tour? I don't know if many touring venues would have the space necessary for the show to be staged as it was on broadway.

Jordan Catalano
#10Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 6:54pm

Sorry, but the theater has HEATHERS written all over it.

Jason Shatz
#11Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:02pm

Good riddance. The TONY performance didn't impress me at all. They were just trying to make a stage show out of a carbon copy of the movie - I never thought ROCKY would work on Broadway anyway.

So the Winter Garden joins the Palace and the Nederlander - and the St. James and Broadway might be next - for prime real estate. Who can sell out those houses?

As for HEATHER'S - isn't that closing as well? Isn't that show doing bad business? I don't think it'll fit in that big barn. I'd hate to see two movie-turned-musical flops in a row in a venerable house.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#12Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:02pm

I could see them doing a tour in a few major cities (LA, SF, Boston, Chicago, Seattle) and stay at each one a little longer than the usual tour stops so they can use the full set.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#13Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:04pm

How could you forget Philly?

Wasn't aware that Finding opens next week. I am looking forward to hearing reviews Updated On: 7/15/14 at 07:04 PM

Jordan Catalano
#14Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:06pm

"Good riddance. The TONY performance didn't impress me at all."

So because one number didn't impress you, you say "good riddance"? Not based on actually seeing the show, but just based on that. Please give us your opinions and reviews of other shows you haven't seen.

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#15Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:16pm

Here comes that Cats revival... ... ... with rap!

broadwayfan1995
#16Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:21pm

Kinda surprised this one's closing so soon. I thought it had at least a few more weeks/months left.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#17Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:25pm

I had a great time when I saw this show.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:31pm

It's not closing for a month. So there is your "few more weeks".

There are a few shows that will announce closings between now and labor day-ish. Always a bit sad.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#19Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:35pm

Jordan the Heathers 'joke' wasn't funny the first time you posted it in a thread so move on already.

Sad to see Rocky go, really enjoyed it. They should have opened it in the UK after Germany.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Jordan Catalano
#20Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:37pm

Oh, ok. Thanks for the advice. I always take advice on humor from people who no sense of it.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#21Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:39pm

I can't wait to see what is next for Andy Karl. I have always known of him but I think he comes out of this a Broadway name. And I bet they are all over him for next years pilot season.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#22Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:44pm

I was disappointed in the show. It's interesting that this is doing so well in Germany but couldn't find an audience on Broadway.

Has Andy Karl missed any performances?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#23Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:50pm

'Oh, ok. Thanks for the advice. I always take advice on humor from people who no sense of it.'

I have no sense of humor because i don't laugh at you 'jokes'? sweeties that means i have a great sense of humor.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#24Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/15/14 at 7:53pm

I really liked the show- Sad it did not last longer.

Darreyl with an L!