ALW Contemplated Suicide

Gothampc
#1ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/18/14 at 4:44pm

14 operations? Does anyone know what is wrong with him?

"In an interview with The Telegraph, Lord Lloyd-Webber disclosed how he was tempted to end his own life last summer as he struggled with pain after 14 operations. “I went through a moment of deep depression — that awful moment when you think that you must find a way out,” he said. “I actually got the forms for Dignitas.”
Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#2ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/18/14 at 6:23pm

He's battled some debilitating back issues the past few years, plus a cancer diagnosis in '09.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/18/14 at 7:34pm

He's a sensitive man and a true talent. Wish him the best!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:48pm

I'm very sorry to read that. I'm glad he was able to get through such a dark time. BTW, in case you missed it, the full interview (referenced in the article the OP posted) can be read here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10973953/Andrew-Lloyd-Webber-I-went-through-a-moment-of-deep-depression-I-actually-got-the-forms-for-Dignitas.html

In the article, there's mention of a ALW having a new production on Broadway next year. Any clue what they're referring to?

His fortune will not go to his five children for, like his mother, he expects the next generation to make their own way. Instead the beneficiary will be his Arts Foundation, whose work includes teaching music to state school children who might otherwise miss the chance to fulfil their dreams. Those plans in place, he has no intention of lessening his own workload. With his musical Cats due back in London and a show to open on Broadway next year, his life appears as settled as it has ever been.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#4ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:54pm

He wants to bring LOVE NEVER DIES to Broadway, with a new ending.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 12:08am

I'd rather he bring Starlight back with the new song. I'm not a fan of Love Never Dies and I don't think NY audiences will be either.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#6ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 12:23am

"He wants to bring LOVE NEVER DIES to Broadway, with a new ending."

It wasn't until after I'd laughed that I realized this wasn't meant to be a very dark joke.

Gothampc
#7ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 12:31am

"He wants to bring LOVE NEVER DIES to Broadway, with a new ending."

It needs more than just a new ending. It needs an entirely new score.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Theatrefan2
#8ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 12:42am

I saw 2 different versions of this and I believe there was a 3rd. Plus the Australian version Ramin is already here. I think over the last almost 10 years he has been either in LM or Phantom.

Gothampc
#9ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 12:46am

The Australian production of Love Never Dies is on Netflix if anyone wants to see it.

Theatrefan2
#10ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 1:02am

I just realized that the article here says pancreatic when it was prostate. Terrible diseases but they should have gotten their facts right.

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#11ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 2:48am

He's bringing a new musical of the movie School Of Rock to NYC.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#12ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 2:57am

Goodness knows he has been a nincompoop at times, but I wouldn't wish him this.

Poor chap- if I were him I'd use my remaining time enjoying all that's out there in the world, rather than running ever-faster on the treadmill of stage production in the hope of re-capturing the past.

Heart and music...

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#13ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 5:54am

Yeah School Of Rock is due to open Summer next year.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 1:55pm

I'd rather he bring Starlight back with the new song.

Which one? There's been so many.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#15ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 2:45pm

Does anyone think School of Rock will be any good??

Sinfonian4life Profile Photo
Sinfonian4life
#16ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 3:11pm

On a serious not, what is the show that he is referring to when he said:
"I got through the show I was working on, but it was murder. I was on every sort of painkiller there is... I couldn't think what to do. In the end, I threw away the forms."

Was it the WIZARD OF OZ Tour or LOVE EVER DIES? Another show?

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#17ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 3:37pm

Probably Stephen Ward

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#18ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 3:38pm

I think School of Rock has the potential to be really good - I'm curious to see who the creative team is behind it.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 3:51pm

ALW is allegedly producing, but not writing the music for the show. I had heard rumors of Tim Minchin, but his undisclosed project turned out to be "Groundhog Day" instead, which Stephen Sondheim himself had been previously linked to.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#20ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 4:13pm

I feel him. I had back surgery 2 years ago and my pain was insane. The thought of having this pain for a year (it only lasted 2 weeks, than goodness) drove me insane, and I started to have thoughts of suicide. Thankfully, I never attempted it. But, idk if it was me or the medicine, which had depression symptoms.

Sinfonian4life Profile Photo
Sinfonian4life
#21ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 4:15pm

Oh ok. thanks! If it was WIZARD then that would explain A LOT. ha.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#22ALW Contemplated Suicide
Posted: 7/19/14 at 4:20pm

Stephen Ward