Hedwig's future

chellylovesrent2 Profile Photo
chellylovesrent2
#125Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/10/14 at 2:36pm

With Andrew Rannells headlining the show, perhaps it will be successful for a while because of his Book of Mormon/Girls/The New Normal (well I know that didn't last) fame. If I were in NYC during his run I'd love to go. Even with Andrew's success I predict that the show may be put on TKTS. I would like to see the show run for at least a year and see which other actors will play Hedwig.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#126Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/10/14 at 7:59pm

Rannels is scheduled for a pretty short run.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Timmer
#127Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/10/14 at 9:02pm

Hopefully it goes away.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#128Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 7:43am

Saw it last night. I basically understood the story until the end, and at that point I had no idea what was going on, or who was who.

I agree with whoever said that either Raul Ezparza or Euan Morton could perform the role well.....

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#129Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 11:24am

@Ken, have you seen the movie? Watching the movie beforehand helps a lot with understanding some of the background info. I first saw the film back 10 years ago and first saw the show back in June. Just like you, I didn't really understand the ending. I watched the film afterwards and then saw the show again and definitely understood the ending more.

I hope the show runs through the holiday season, at the very least!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#130Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 12:44pm

Hopefully it goes away.

Why? What will happen to you if it stays?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#131Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 1:51pm

Knew nothing about the show until seeing it. Sometimes that's better, other times not. In this case, the ending was definitely a lot confusing....

RyToast1
#132Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 2:51pm

Darren Criss?

Whatshisname Profile Photo
Whatshisname
#133Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:17pm

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#134Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:39pm

Hedwig has legs, it will play here for years, it will tour, and it will be a smash in the UK. There are people like me who really love the music and when confronted with being in town for less than a week will choose to see the latest incarnation.

Stephanatic

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#135Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:44pm

It bombed in London.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#136Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:49pm

Really, dint know. Thanks. I'm an optimist about this show. I don't think it needs Neil power. I'm intrigued did JCM do it in London?

Stephanatic

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#137Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:50pm

I'm not sure if JCM came in, but I know Michael Cerveris played the role there. (He's my favorite that I've seen in the role.)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#138Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 3:57pm

Well, I hope you're right in thinking it has legs, but I'll mention that the show also did not do well in Boston (with Kevin Cahoon).

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#139Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 7:38pm

I keep thinking about James Franco as Hedwig.... Could be interesting...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#140Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 7:39pm

^^^ I like my Hedwigs to be able to sing, dance, and annunciate, though?!

Starship
#141Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/11/14 at 8:22pm

Laverne Cox......?

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#142Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 9:32am

I've narrowed my preferred choices down to Cheyenne Jackson, Raul Esparza, or Will Swenson; all of whom I believe have the requisite musical theatre skills, are age appropriate and have the qualities necessary to pull off the role. I'd also consider Matthew Morrison, Adam Pascal and maybe Christian Borle.

If only I were a casting agent. Sigh.

neonlightsxo
#143Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 9:34am

Tony Vincent would be perfect, but would not sell tickets.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#144Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 9:47am

I really want to see Alan Cumming do the show. I'm obsessed with the Hedwig medley he does.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#145Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 9:48am

Laverne Cox is on record as saying she will not sing in public anymore.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#146Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 10:43am

But if everyone just keeps suggesting other celebrities to put on the heels, doesn't that imply that the show itself can't fill the theater? I'm sure the producers would love another Hedwig that can ratchet up ticket prices, but if that doesn't happen, doesn't anyone think the show could make it on its own?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#147Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 10:47am

J52-most of the guys you mention WON'T play the role and aren't big names (some won't because...psst...they don't feel comfortable in drag). They're going to have to cook up some A-lister for the slower months. Hataerobics-they're going to have to rely on a big name for a bit. There are also NEW shows coming-and to stay alive Hedwig needs that big name (it's a bigger theater than if they were downtown...).

Cheyenne is a little too muscular for the role. (I think he looks too 'manly'-you really need someone who Luther could mistake for a girl.)

I'd LOVE for a former Hedwig (cough cough) to do a brief stint before moving on (cough cough) but that person isn't a big enough name.

I am sick of Alan Cumming and his schtick. Raul I could live with but he's not really a big name. I'm telling you that for this to keep going through the winter they need someone big. (And I am guessing that they're fully cognizant of this fact.)

Updated On: 8/12/14 at 10:47 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#148Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 11:04am

"Haterobics-they're going to have to rely on a big name for a bit. There are also NEW shows coming-and to stay alive Hedwig needs that big name (it's a bigger theater than if they were downtown...)."

Everyone just keeps repeating this, but I just don't see how we know it to be true, as there was only one Hedwig, and he is a big name. If they needed NPH to get investors, well, the show is open and recouped, so that's sorted out.

The If/Then producers know Idina is the show, and that's why people are buying tickets, and when she got sick, they even offered people who stayed a chance to come back and see Idina in the role. Everyone I know that saw or wants to see the show wants to see Hedwig, whoever is in the heels is secondary, although maybe that just means I curated a good group of friends. Hedwig's future

How does a new show in previews have an advantage over a show that won a Tony?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#149Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 11:05am

I agree with dreaming they need a huge name to fill the Belasco. However, I have faith in the creative team that they will come up with someone great. Personally, I never would have thought of NPH to play the role, but John Cameron Mitchell did, and he and his team believed enough in their choice that they apparently waited for several years for Harris to be free. The creators have I think a good handle on what is going to work and are realistic about what will sell seats. So let's wait and see.

Updated On: 8/12/14 at 11:05 AM