pixeltracker

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?- Page 3

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?

Starship
#50Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/15/14 at 5:06pm

I feel like this will play just like Cinderella/Annie. It'll bring in a large family audience wanting to see a familiar spectacle show and run for two years tops.

ryandl15 Profile Photo
ryandl15
#51Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/15/14 at 6:43pm

Starship - I feel the exact same way.

They'll make the necessary changed. Audiences, families, school groups, etc. will flock to see it, and about after a year or soon after the Tony Awards, buzz will die down.

mikey2573
#52Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/15/14 at 7:40pm

From what I've seen of the London production, this looks like a bigger (and more expensive) show than either "Annie" or "Cinderella". They'd better be looking for more than two years if they want it to succeed (make money).

Updated On: 10/15/14 at 07:40 PM

Starship
#53Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:24pm

When I said like Annie/Cinderella, I meant in terms of it being very hyped with a great cast, but problems in the storyline that keep it from being a long lasting attraction.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#54Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/15/14 at 11:16pm

What problems in the storyline did Annie or Cinderella have? If this show runs for even a year, thats pretty successful.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

DigificWriter
#55Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:23pm

I'm familiar with the show only because of its OCR, so I'm curious: what, exactly, needs to be changed in order for it to be brought to New York?

Also, this will probably get me 'crucified', but Johnny Drop ought to be on the radar for Wonka in this show if if makes it stateside.

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#56Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:53pm

^^^^^ NO NO NO AND AGAIN NO to Johnny Depp

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#58Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:28pm

To answer the poster agove with what would need to be changed, the answer is everything. Act one is a snooze fest, it takes for ever for anything to happen, and when it finally does it wasn't worth the wait. Act two feels rushed ( which was welcomed ) but the major problem is the show lacks magic, wonder and sadly any sort of joy.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#59Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:33pm

Act 1could use tightening. But the act 1 close is at the right spot in the story. So not sure how you fix that

But I really loved the show and Douglas Hodge takes over the theatre the minute he appears as Wonka. I enjoyed it

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#60Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:33pm

Act 1could use tightening. But the act 1 close is at the right spot in the story. So not sure how you fix that

But I really loved the show and Douglas Hodge takes over the theatre the minute he appears as Wonka. I enjoyed it

mikey2573
#61Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:40pm

The people I know who have seen it have all described it the same way, loud and charmless.

A1st
#62Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:22pm

I saw it,

It was really just very repetitive, that's the best way to describe it. After a while you get very bored because nothing new and exciting is happening on stage.

Act 1: Song about the family being poor, giant Tv coming on to show kid winning ticket, song about that. Repeat

Act 2: Same painted drop comes down, small insignificant scene in front, drop goes up, some scene in the factory, song while loosing a child in the process. Repeat

I will say that the closings of both acts are very well done. When Wonka finally comes out at the end of 1 it's exciting... but then there's intermission to kill all of the energy.

I actually really enjoyed the end of act 2, when they sang pure imagination, charlie was drawing in the book and the glass elevator. This was the only part of the show that I actually felt was magical, the rest, bland and tasteless. Sorry to be so harsh, but this just has the potential to be such a great show, but unless it is majorly tweaked, I don't see it having a long and successful (if at all a) broadway run

Updated On: 10/30/14 at 11:22 PM

cbcgirl4life
#63Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 12/26/14 at 7:14pm

I've been in two productions of Willy Wonka Jr and, although long, kids really enjoy the show and it is quite fun to perform. But if the Dahl estate has such a problem with the movie why were they okay with some of the movies songs being in this stage version?

LightsOut90
#64Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:34pm

^because the Dahl estate doesn't control stage rights, Warners Brothers does.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#65Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 5:12pm

Hopefully not the London incarnation as the score was the weakest link being unmemorable and disastrous ...it did not tunefully tell the story musically and basically not a good show it was boring!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/27/14 at 05:12 PM

RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
#66Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 12/27/14 at 9:25pm

Oh man I REALLY hope so! That would be the best!

An Incomplete History of Into the Woods

http://roomcgoo.com/

smallvillefan16
#67Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 12/28/14 at 11:54am

I highly doubt it would transfer unless they did a MASSIVE overhaul with the show. I don't think Warner Bros was too pleased with the response from London.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#68Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 10:02am

Anyone have updates regarding a transfer? I was in London last week, and saw the matinee on Wednesday. During the last song in Act 1 there was a power outage due to a fire in the area, so the show could not go on. Really want to see it when (if) it comes to Broadway.

sklabam
#69Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:02am

Agreed. Was an awful show. I stayed through till the end by holding onto my seat, and taking my shoes off to prevent myself from inadvertently leaving.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#71Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/15 at 6:46pm

2016-2017 season... but will it really come?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#72Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/15 at 9:14pm

That's such an odd place to make an announcement about something that big. You would think it would have its own article.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

#73Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/15 at 9:41pm

We saw it last year and it wasn't very good