pixeltracker

STOCKARD CHANNING OUT/ BACK!- Page 2

STOCKARD CHANNING OUT/ BACK!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#25STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/14/14 at 8:11pm

She is what she is. She is her own special creation. Good for her!

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#26STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/14/14 at 8:31pm

Too bad Stockard is surrounded with a cast of unknowns. If even 1 or 2 of them had at least some name recognition, Stockard missing a performance or two wouldn't create such disappointment on the part of the audience.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#27STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/14/14 at 8:39pm

Every single person in the show is above the title. Just because they are not above the title on the marquee doesn't mean anything. In the playbill, it lists them all above the title on the title page.

Also, I saw the show today. Seems as if they are being directed to act as the actor they understudy as Isabel acted exactly like how Stockard does (I haven't seen her in this, but the tone of her voice and her mannerisms were what was in Other Desert Cities.) However, I did enjoy Isabel, and my real problem is Matthew Broderick. What a boring and lifeless man. How anybody could like his stage work is beyond me. Also, just really didn't care about the play, so I was just waiting for it to really end in the second act.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#28STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/14/14 at 9:10pm

How can Micah be above the title? Isn't this his first Broadway experience?

Since no one has indicated they received a refund because of Channing's absence, perhaps the above title in this play is treated differently by the box office? Has anyone asked for a refund?

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#29STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/14/14 at 9:53pm

I'm sure there aren't many people who would get a refund if Stockard was out among all those names. if she was in a show where she was the only name, it would be a different story. However, if Nathan called out, it would be a different story. And yes, Micah is as well above the title.

LarryD2
#30STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/16/14 at 6:41pm

Is she back tonight?

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#31STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/16/14 at 7:17pm

First of all, the $300- ticket was front row center.
Second, I've seen Stockard many times before so that isn't it. We had no idea she was out. The audience and I were waiting for Stockard to make her entrance but she didn't. The slip of paper in the playbill did not say, "At this performance the part of Virginia USUALLY PLAYED BY STOCKARD CHANNING will be played by Isabel Keating." Many of us who didn't read the program thought Isabel was a supporting character in the show. Why not? There was no announcement about Stockard before the show. I did not see anything in the lobby or they put it in a place where it wouldn't be noticed.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#32STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/16/14 at 7:35pm

"The slip of paper in the playbill did not say, "At this performance the part of Virginia USUALLY PLAYED BY STOCKARD CHANNING will be played by Isabel Keating." Many of us who didn't read the program thought Isabel was a supporting character in the show."

You pay $300 for a front row seat and needed the paper to specify the role of Virginia is "usually played by Stockard Channing"? I dunno...I always read the Playbill.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jwsel
#33STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/16/14 at 7:44pm

"The slip of paper in the playbill did not say, "At this performance the part of Virginia USUALLY PLAYED BY STOCKARD CHANNING will be played by Isabel Keating." Many of us who didn't read the program thought Isabel was a supporting character in the show."

You pay $300 for a front row seat and needed the paper to specify the role of Virginia is "usually played by Stockard Channing"? I dunno...I always read the Playbill.

--------------

This. I have never seen a written replacement announcement that identifies who is out. It always says the role and who will be playing the part in that show. It's up to the audience to check the playbill to see who normally plays the role.

While I commiserate with the OP, because it does stink to miss a performer you really wanted to see, I sincerely doubt the theater was keeping it a secret. And this is coming from someone who got the understudy to Patina Miller when I saw Pippin after months of waiting anxiously to see the show.

qafgenius122
#34STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 2:58am

Heard from people this evening that she was out again... Also curious, some if the theatre signage, ie, the it's only a selfie sign and the artwork on the stage door are gone.... I suppose it's all coincidence, but anyone else think she might be out for good, or us thus just coincidence and she's just sick...? Now I'm just happy I saw it in it's earlier previews, with her in it.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#35STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 6:43am

With 3 weeks left until opening, I don't see Stockard packing up her ball and going home.

sallyann
#36STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:45am

Apparently she has hurt her leg and is resting it.

mamaleh
#37STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:55am

I'm sure you won't miss out seeing the fabulous Isabel Keating as Virginia. She was hilarious and touching in all the right moments. Great performance.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#38STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 12:16pm

I hope she is in tonight. I just picked up a $37 student rush ticket. Hope she feels better!!!!

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#39STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 12:39pm

I saw Isabel Keating - the Sunday matinee. And I was glad I did. Yes, I love Stockard but I have seen her in numerous shows over the years and I LOVE Isabel Keating... so I really was not disappointed. And Isabel was great - and I didn't think she sounded like Stockard at all.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 1:22pm

Stockard is not to blame if an audience member doesn't pay attention and Stockard is not responsible for any ticket price paid by any audience member.

instead a tiny
square of paper that said "At this performance Isabel Keating will Play Virginia whatever

Even if it did say that, so what? Nobody is responsible for your own assumptions other than yourself. You didn't know because you didn't bother or care to look. Replacements can be disappointing, but they are always part of the business. If you're aware of this, you know what to look for. I don't remember the last time I heard an announcement for a replacement. That's usually a last-minute resort when there is no time for other methods of announcing the replacement.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 1:33pm

Remember when Danny Kaye had to finish out the run of Two By Two in a wheelchair? If its good enough for him .....

Just kidding, let her rest . If seeing a show is dependent on 1 specific person being in it, how good is the show? I remember seeing shows when the main star was out and I enjoyed it just as much with the understudy performing.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 9/17/14 at 01:33 PM

willep
#42STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 5:21pm

She is still out. Just got a ticket from TKTS...figured I wouldn't have too many chances to see this at a discount.

LarryD2
#43STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 6:00pm

Willep, how were the seats at TKTS?

willep
#44STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 6:09pm

They had mezzanine seats, I got fifth row off to the side, I will report back on how they are...hopefully good.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#45STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 6:16pm

My student rush was in the second row on the very end. I hope I'm not looking at a wall the whole time. I have seat B12. Any input on that seat?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#46STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 7:52pm

It's 10 minutes until curtain and people are putting 2 and 2 together and realizing Stockard is gone. A few are getting a bit upset...

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#47STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:28pm

If Channing really did injure her leg, she's probably going to be very cautious in coming back. She just had knee replacement surgery a few years ago. And since her character spends the whole play in four inch heels, better safe than sorry.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#48STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:54pm

Did not know that fact.

She may not return given her past history and this new problem. Unless she changes her footwear, that would seal the deal.

Poster Emeritus

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#49STOCKARD CHANNING OUT
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:58pm

Is David Merrick producing this?