pixeltracker

Your thoughts about The Addams Family- Page 2

Your thoughts about The Addams Family

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/27/14 at 11:54pm

Andrew Lippa had openly expressed that he wished he'd actually made those revisions when the show got to Broadway, but he didn't have enough time in-between that and the Chicago try-outs.

But with that being said, he was still Tony nominated for his work on The Addams Family (which was kind of by default since there were barely any original scores that year).

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#26Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:02am

Still can't believe they took out " Where did we go wrong"

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

evic
#27Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:06am

The original was painful to sit through and I felt sorry for the actors who had to perform those ridiculously unfunny songs and scenes. Central Park as the location for the mansion? Yes it was a rip off of La Cage and that endless song Full Disclosure was embarassingly awful. Pulled was the only good belt song. No one cared that the creators' idea was taken from the cartoon. Big mistake. Everyone knows TAF from the TV show. I felt sorry for the chorus who worked their asses off in that makeup..... no wonder Jackie Hoffman was so unhappy. It stunk and only ran because of the name familiarity and Nathan and Bebe.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#28Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 3:01am

If you're a fan of the other Addams properties the musical is nothing like those. One would think they had never even heard of the Addams Family before writing it considering how they completely threw out the crucial aspect of them not knowing that they're creepy and kooky. They're much too self-aware.

That being said, I don't hate the score but I find the plot pretty dreary and a lot less funny than it could have and should have been (even in the revised version).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#29Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 3:08am

that endless song Full Disclosure was embarassingly awful

Yes, one of the worst Broadway numbers I can think of. And it did feel it was going to last 3 hours, I can't believe someone found that not to be dreadful and worth keeping.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#30Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:25pm

"Surprisingly only two songs felt remotely "Addams"-y, "Just Around the Corner" and "Move Towards the Darkness"... I rather liked "Pulled," however, also."

I thought "What if" was pretty Addams-y, too.

I'm a starkid
#31Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:29pm

I guess I'm in the minority who rather enjoyed it. I saw the original cast though, and I love Krysta Rodriguez as Wednesday and thought everyone was rather well suited for their parts. I really like Crazier Than You and Pulled, can't say Full Disclosure was that great though. Overall I found it enjoyable and funny.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#32Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 2:32pm

I enjoyed Nathan Lane's performance as a Nathan Lane role, but not as Gomez Addams. Turning the character into a vaudeville-clown Spaniard was a bizarre choice that I suspect came More from his improv skills than from the character himself. I dearly missed the untraceable pan-Continental accent that Raul Julia and Tim Curry used for Gomez, and the implication that the Addamses were very nice people...but at the same time genuinely evil, to a nearly demonic level.

HopeChanged
#33Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 7:02pm

Just finished reading all of your posts and I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. As much as I'm craving some live theater I think I'm going to skip this one and search for something that might better suit my tastes in the Boston/NH/Southern Maine area. Thank you, all. Very much appreciated :)

KathyNYC2
#34Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 8:09pm

^^I actually liked Roger Rees as Gomez more than I did Nathan..he had a debonair quality about him that made it work better for me.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#35Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 8:31pm

Did Rees dial back the zany Castilian accent? I know there is a video of dubious authenticity of Douglas Sills, but I haven't seen him. I know he can chew scenery with the best of them, though, which makes me think he is either a great Gomez or a terrible.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 8:39pm

I saw the tour and enjoyed it for what it was. The tango number was the best part.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RENT_is_Wicked2
#37Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/28/14 at 8:42pm

I loved the Broadway production. I thought the casting for the OBC was excellent. I was upset to find tha tthe tour made some changes, which led to me not enjoying the production as much.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#38Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 5:57am

Saw this version at the Gateway in Long Island. A definite improvement from the original Broadway, then the tours. This version, I found to be nearly perfect. It also has a great cast which helps a lot. I would recommend a visit as this will probably be the last chance in a while to see a professional production of this version featuring the touring sets. Plus, it's great to have the understudy for Bebe playing "Morticia".

HopeChanged
#39Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 8:52am

The Ogunquit Playhouse actually creates/builds all of its shows from the ground up, so it wouldn't be the touring production.

Brian07663NJ
#40Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 9:17am

I only went to see the Addams Family because I got a cheap ticket. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I actually listen to the cast recording on occasion too. Happy/Sad I find to be incredibly poignant. Could be a song that is one you need to relate to in order to appreciate. Found Nathan Lane to be annoying. His accents (plural) were distracting and nonlinear. Is the show brilliant...no, enjoyable...I think so.

laneyjd00
#41Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 9:44am

It's a really bad musical revolving around one or two good songs.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#42Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:57am

I saw the Chicago pre-broadway tryout. I liked it, I think the songs hit the mark mostly except for "The Love of a Squid", which I understand has been replaced. I was hoping to see the national tour with Cortney Wolfson as Wednesday. The book misses the mark on the Addams' vibe. I certainly would love to see it again with the revised book.

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#43Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 3:30pm

I saw/worked it a few times when the national tour opened in New Orleans. As a show overall, it was okay. Nothing groundbreaking and had a few funny moments here and there, but you won't lose any theatre geek cred if you skip it. I will say I was more or less focused on seeing Douglas Sills onstage (I am a huge fan of Pimpernel). Funny enough, Rachel Gettlefinger as Morticia ended up being my favorite part.

broadwayguy2
#44Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:19pm

HopeChanged,
The Ogunquit production is a joint staging with Gateway Playhouse and they are using the scenery and costume package from the non-Equity tour.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#45Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 9:45pm

@ OperaBwayLover - SARA Gettelfinger . LOL

Darreyl with an L!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#46Your thoughts about The Addams Family
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:22pm

I actually really like the show. I thought it was a ton of fun! Also to the remark about "Where Did We Go Wrong?" Getting cut:

In the tour the storyline as a whole changed very dramatically. That song would not make any sense whatsoever in the current version.