What's next for Hedwig?

DivosThoughts Profile Photo
DivosThoughts
#1What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 11:52am

I am unsure if this an odd or even stupid question, but what is going to happen to Hedwig after Michael C Hall departs? Will the show just close, or will they replace him with another name, or some intriguing who fits the role? Like, I would love to see Jinx Monsoon take over the role to make his B'Way Debut. Or, even see someone new take on the role of Yitzhak?

Just a little curious.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#2What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:33pm

Someone is replacing him.

Showface
#2What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:50pm

Perhaps this already existing thread could help:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1074902&PageSpeed=noscript

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:51pm

"what is going to happen to Hedwig after Michael C Hall departs? Will the show just close, or will they replace him with another name..."

Sounds like you know the options of what will happen....

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 1:03pm

With the caliber of talent they've had thus far, I'm sure they could keep it going for a year.

ajh
#5What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/11/14 at 10:51pm

Not sure if he's a big enough name at this stage but I would love to see Will Chase have a crack at it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 12:10am

I LOOOOVE WILL CHASE. I mean, he's on a big Network show and was on the View, etc. So he's getting exposure. If Rannells can sustain the show for a few months, I think Chase could do fine. I think after Michael C Hall, it'll be come just an entity. Like Cabaret. Cummings isn't really the draw. It's the show/production. I think Lena Hall's part would be hard to stunt cast because of how small it is. I mean she totally owns it, but I couldn't see someone like PINK stepping in to do that role for a few weeks.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 12:19am

*Cumming

Yes, Will Chase is great but he isn't a big draw and he's contracted to Nashville til at least March. They need a huge, internationally known star to keep it going long term. But, I hope they wrap it up with John Cameron Mitchell.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 1:01am

I agree, but Rannells is a very theater-centric star. His TV show was a flop. He's a supporting character on a premium cable TV show, etc.

They need someone like Jim Parsons, but obviously, that won't happen. But someone along those lines. I think Michael C Hall is brilliant casting.

jemjeb2
#9What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 1:08pm

"like "Cabaret". Cumming isn't the draw." Really? When did you take the survey of "Cabaret" ticket buyers? I love the show and certainly this is a magnificent production of it, but I went to see Alan Cumming act his iconic performnce and it was definitely what my friends and I were buzzing about after the show (I saw it just last month). It IS a fantastic production (and in the perfect venue) and for those who have not seen "Cabaret" or most certainly Alan Cumming, it is not to be missed. It is hard to imagine anyone else coming close to what Cumming brings to "Cabaret" though I've seen it performed by Joel Grey and by Norbert Leo Butz (both also amazing). But this is Cumming's show - he owns it.

Updated On: 10/12/14 at 01:08 PM

RW3
#10What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 1:37pm

I think Lesli Margherita would be a good Yitzhak.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/12/14 at 10:53pm

Does she have that kind of rock/belt? Because Lena Hall is giving it. I mean, I could see why Harris wanted Lindsay Mendez, but I think her voice is too Disney/Broadway for the role. Lena Hall brings a nice natural sound to it. And her characterization is spot on. She's aided by some amazing makeup/wig, but still.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#12What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 8:18am

Saw Rannells' last show last night. This needs names if it is going to draw tourists - even to draw New Jersey. I had my playbill and other crap with me when I went to the Hustlaball later, and boys were like "oh how is Dexter?" And I was like no it was the other guy's last show, & they were like "oh I heard he wasn't good, I wouldn't spend money on that." While stuffing a 20 in some guys sock. So this needs names to even draw queens from Chelsea who aren't theatre nerds.
The show was fine, and I liked the way it was updated, I liked Rannells, but this was not the best show, or even second best show, I saw this weekend.
Chita at 81 could do a better Yitzak.

I had first row center of the balcony because I bought before they started doing discounts. I was happy with the seat. The box office said the show was sold out. Why were the seats beside me, center first row balcony, empty??

bfreak
#13What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 8:38am

@jemjeb2 Totally agree with you on Cumming. When Cabaret started in the spring, all of the marketing had him front and center, and still does (even though now the attention will likely shift a bit to Emma Stone). I went to see it last month for both him and the show (but mostly to see his performance) and I wasn't disappointed! Alan, the company, and the production were all "beauuutiful"! *Sorry to take away from the "Hedwig" thread.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#14What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 10:46am

Inception -- at least two pretty simple reasons why that may have been the case: 1) no-shows (it certainly happens); 2) bought by a broker in the hope of selling at mark-up and ended up unable to re-sell them (happens a lot for almost every show). And you really dislike Lena Hall as Yitzhak so much that you think Chita at 81 could play the part better? Seriously? Individual opinions may vary, and Tony Award notwithstanding, I don't think I've encountered anyone who feels THAT strongly in the negative about Lena's work (which I think is quite fantastic).

Ripped Man -- I agree re Parsons. Would definitely be a wonderful acting choice but I fear he doesn't have the vocal chops to pull it off. Pity. They could probably get him for at least 8-12 weeks this summer (same slot in which he did "Harvey") if he's not committed elsewhere.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

FindingNamo
#15What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 11:25am

and boys were like "oh how is Dexter?" And I was like no it was the other guy's last show, & they were like "oh I heard he wasn't good, I wouldn't spend money on that."

Boys were like that? How many boys? Enough to draw a conclusion about show attendance?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#16What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 11:32am

Until we know which shows the circuit crowd would pay money to see, it's hard to draw any specific conclusions about Hedwig.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#17What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 11:32am

Andrew Rannells was quite good, but I do agree that a name is needed to fill all those seats. Parsons? I don't know. I didn't care for his performance in Harvey. He just wasn't warm enough, and his overtures of friendship to the other characters just came off as stalkerish. Plus, if he doesn't sing, that's the end of that anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing Michael C. Hall. (Also, I'm a Chita fan, but not as Yitzhak!!!)

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 11:32 AM

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#18What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 2:33pm

My pipe dream is that Jeremy Renner would take over when Michael C Hall's run ends. I hope Lena Hall stays with this production as long as possible, she's amazing in it, and she seems like she's having the time of her life!

RW3
#19What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:10pm

Jeremy Renner can sing?

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#20What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:24pm

He sang when he hosted SNL a year or two ago, and I thought he sounded great.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#21What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:32pm

Him singing "New York State of Mind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eO37Hft3B8

Yummy

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#22What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 6:01pm

"My pipe dream is that Jeremy Renner would take over when Michael C Hall's run ends."

That's a long way to go for a Hurt Locker meta joke, no?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#23What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 6:24pm

I wasn't being negative about Lena Hall. I was bragging about seeing Chita's show. At 81 she can still do almost anything better than almost anyone. I she could replace my plumber.

Namo I did a very thorough examination of a fair sized sampling, including their preferences regarding the job we call Hed.....wig

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#24What's next for Hedwig?
Posted: 10/13/14 at 6:33pm

Hustaball: where all the discerning Broadway fans hang out.

I'm also glad you think the cross section needed for the show to succeed is "Chelsea queens who aren't theatre nerds."

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos