pixeltracker

Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE- Page 4

Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#75Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:45am

For those of you whose argument is that it's "just a concert version" are pretty delusional. Just because it's a concert version means it's okay to throw everything out the window as long as the people cast are actually talented? Whether or not they're actually right for the role? No. And we all know that there are no longer just plain ol' concert versions anymore. Today a "concert version" means fully staged and with costumes, etc. If ANYTHING, a concert version is more raw and broken down and demands perfect casting. Because there aren't any distractions on stage.

As for Jeremy Jordan...NOTHING about him screams Leo Frank. Nothing. He's young, edgy, angsty, a high (screaming) tenor, modern...none of that is Leo Frank. Sure, he's an actor so he can morph into any role. But, if that was the case for all actors then why wasn't Cheyenne Jackson, Nick Adams, or Gavin Creel given the role? Because they're all wrong for it.

Sure, I'd love for Jeremy Jordan to surprise us all and be wonderful. But, Leo Frank is a fragile, timid, hesitant, somewhat creepy little man. Those aren't Jeremy's strong suits.

Casting Jeremy Jordan doesn't serve the piece (Parade)...it serves the producers. Not that he's a household name by any means, but he is one of today's Broadway "it" boys. Unfortunately, not all of the "it" people are capable of playing every role given to them.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"
Updated On: 12/17/14 at 10:45 AM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#76Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:05am

Although I'm not his biggest fan, I feel like Santino Fontana would have been the perfect choice. He screams nebbish-y and nervous on stage (see: Sons of the Prophet).

For those who spoke about Lea Salonga being an out of left field choice for Mother - and that it was ok because it was just a concert - well, Lea Salonga is perfectly suited for the role other than her ethnicity. Her voice, personality, and gravitas are perfect for Mother. I wouldn't go cast her as Emma Goldman just because she was talented and physically able to perform the role.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#77Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:06am

This thread really makes me want to burn something.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#78Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:09am

Be specific.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#79Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:10am

Yes...please show your work. Cause I'll co-sign if we're on the same page.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#80Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:13am

The rants on here (yes I am looking at you mywonderwa11) are HILARIOUS.
My guess is you won't be going?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:14am

If it were possible to burn down a website, I'd burn down this website.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ
#82Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:16am

Girl...just gimme a five minute head start so I can get a-runnin'.

There are a lot of comments on here that make me think, 'Are you sure you're not thinking of Jerry Herman's PARADE?'

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:25am

Girl, you're already flaming.

neonlightsxo
#84Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:27am

"I kind of think a guy who was part of creating the show in the first place would know better than us."

Hahahahahahahahahaha

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#85Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:32am

I think participating on this website means I can no longer make fun of my brother for playing fantasy football.

SonofRobbieJ
#86Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:33am

'Girl, you're already flaming.'

HEY!

I mean, true. But still. HEY!

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:33 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#87Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:51pm

"Sure, I'd love for Jeremy Jordan to surprise us all and be wonderful. But, Leo Frank is a fragile, timid, hesitant, somewhat creepy little man. Those aren't Jeremy's strong suits."

How do you know? This concert hasn't happened yet.

topiflo
#88Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:39am

"He is half Jewish"

Last time I checked, Ben Stiller, Liev Schreiber, Zach Braff, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Segel, Lea Michele, and Adam Goldberg were all also ancestrally only "half Jewish" (and the list goes on and on). And I won't even get started on 1/4 Jew Jay Baruchel and total non-Jew Jason Biggs.

If the criteria to be a Jew is that you have to be of fully Jewish descent, quite a lot of people you seem to consider "Jewish" would be out.

It would also mean that full Jews Logan Lerman, Mila Kunis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Natalie Portman could 'only' play Jews, which I support.

I don't know what "doesn't practice Judaism" means in this context. Dustin Hoffman didn't celebrate any Jewish holidays at all growing up, is he not Jewish as well?

Jeremy's mother is Jewish, which makes him Jewish under most definitions of the word.

Unlike, of course, Norbert Leo Butz (who starred in the original Last Five Years) and Laura Benanti (who is playing his Jewish wife in Parade).

And if the Jewish actors aren't nerdy enough, maybe they should finally consider writing non-nerdy Jewish characters?

Updated On: 12/18/14 at 12:39 AM

themysteriousgrowl
#89Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 7:35am

Wowee

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

topiflo
#90Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 8:15am

BTW, the other major productions of Parade starred Brent Carver, David Pittu, Bertie Carvel, and T. R. Knight, none of whom are Jewish.

Congratulations to Jeremy Jordan for being the first Jewish actor to play Leo Frank in Parade.

Updated On: 12/18/14 at 08:15 AM

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#91Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:15am

They Better Recording it or show it on PBS.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#92Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 10:44am

"Sure, he's an actor so he can morph into any role."

At the end of the day, that - and how good Jordan turns out to be in the role (which can only really be assessed after seeing the concert) - is all that matters.

I have never seen Parade. But there is no apparent reason Jeremy Jordan can't play Leo Frank.
Jordan even looks a little like Leo Frank.

By the way, Peter Gallagher played Frank, and as I recall, quite satisfactorily (with no one complaining of miscasting), in The Murder of Mary Phagan.

"It would also mean that full Jews Logan Lerman, Mila Kunis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Natalie Portman could 'only' play Jews, which I support."

Ah, yes, a world without Sarah Bernhardt's Hamlet, Paul Muni's Scarface, Harry Baur's Jean Valjean, Jean-Pierre Aumont's Oedipus, Debra Winger's Emma Greenway, Dustin Hoffman's Ratso Rizzo, Benjamin Braddock and Jack Crabb, Claire Bloom's Ophelia, juliet and Lady Ann, Janet Suzman's Cleopatra, Hedda and Alexandra, Kirk Douglas's Van Gogh and Spartacus, Stephen Fry's Oscar Wilde and Malvolio, Howard da Silva's Franklin, Lauren Bacall's Margo Channing, Bebe Newirth's Velma Kelly, Joanna Gleason's Baker's Wife....

Gevalt... who could live in such a world?

Updated On: 12/18/14 at 10:44 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#93Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 10:51am

....but the world goes 'round

Liza's Headband
#94Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 10:54am

Rybka - if the last three years have been any indication, this one-night-only event will not be recorded or televised.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#95Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 11:23am

Between all the schlemiels k'vetching when a frequently typecast actor gets cast against type and all the schlemazels k'vetching that frequently typecast actors are always the same in everything they do - and I have my suspicions that sometimes, ironically, these schmendricks are exactly the same mitten drinnen k'vetching out of both sides of their punims - one could really go stark raving meshuggeh!

"Sure, he's an actor so he can morph into any role. But, if that was the case for all actors then why wasn't Cheyenne Jackson, Nick Adams, or Gavin Creel given the role? Because they're all wrong for it."

Actors have ranges. Most of them.

Actors can be right for some things and wrong for others.

(The only inconsistency between the above two statements would be a completely imaginary one)

The issue isn't whether Jordan or any of these gentleman can morph into "any role." The issue is how well Jordan might play Leo Frank.

Just because you've never seen him do anything like Leo Frank, doesn't mean he can't. Or shouldn't.

by the way, Jordan played Charley - a role that no doubt many would not think him right for - to Darren Criss's Franklin and America Ferrera's Mary in Six by Sondheim. And it didn't strike me as bad casting at all. Quite the opposite.

Updated On: 12/18/14 at 11:23 AM

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#96Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:37pm

Have the majority of comments attended the previous MCP's productions? Casting is considered based off of the fact that it is a concert version. Yes, they'll probably be movement like Titanic and Ragtime, but it's a concert. Lea Salonga, while beautiful and voice, would never play Mother in Ragtime for the obvious reasons. Titanic had a reunion of sorts, with many original cast members appearing in terrific performances and awful performances (Captain Smith, ow!). Titanic seemed to fit the idea that people who loved the score 15 years ago can hear the score with a complete orchestra and most of the original voices. Ragtime fit the idea that contemporary and current Broadway stars could sing the gorgeous score with a complete orchestra. It seems Parade is doing the same thing. The previous two years were excellent concerts. I'm sure Parade will be, too.

I caught the Ford's Theatre production of Parade a few years ago, and Euan Morton (who is not American) pulled off the role flawlessly. Background doesn't seem to affect the role at all. I'm sure Jeremy Jordan will give myself and other concert attendee's our money's worth.

themysteriousgrowl
#97Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:45pm

"Lea Salonga, while beautiful and voice, would never play Mother in Ragtime for the obvious reasons."

What obvious reasons?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#98Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:51pm

She's too white to play Mother.

....but the world goes 'round

themysteriousgrowl
#99Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:57pm

Oh, right. Sorry. Thank you. Sorry.