pixeltracker

Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews- Page 3

Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#50Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:28am

Wow, Brantley! He really surprised us this this one. And thank goodness!

I would love if Jason Robert Brown FINALLY had a financial success on Broadway. Every single show of his has flopped and closed too early. Bridges was his longest running show... How!?

I wonder if The Last Five Years release will connect to the show through advertising Brown's score in both.

neonlightsxo
#51Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:30am

Seriously? You're comparing BROADWAY to FAMILY GUY? Hmm, which one is the higher art form?

I'm not going to argue with you two since you're on your own planet. Bye.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#52Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:37am

"Seriously? You're comparing BROADWAY to FAMILY GUY? Hmm, which one is the higher art form?"

In a time where the latest blockbuster is The Book of Mormon, I found Honeymoon In Vegas to be tame, fun, and all around a fabulous experience.

If you're so upset about what you consider "distasteful" about Honeymoon In Vegas, go cry to Brantley - how dare he give it a rave?!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#53Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:39am

...and this is my problem. "higher art form"?!? Give me a break! No one is calling Honeymoon in Vegas the next Porgy and Bess! It's stupid, silly, and outlandish. It is what it is without any apology. If it's not your cup of tea, move on, but don't act like its attempt at comedy should be banished from the Broadway stage simply because it's too low brow for your perception of the "art form."

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#54Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:01pm

I thought it was an absolute delight from start to finish.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#55Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:11pm

Hoping the reviews do help. The NY papers went from mixed ( Post)!ro positive (Daily News) to rave (NY Times and even Newsday)

i really was entertained and hope these reviews spike sales

MegInManhattan
#56Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:19pm

Can someone explain to me why this show is "racist"? Because a Polynesian woman sings a song called "Frikki-Frikki" and has a stereotypical accent?

Does that mean that if there's a stereotypical dumb blonde character that a show is "blonde-ist" and offensive?

There's no malice and it's FUNNY.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:36pm

You made an #AllLivesMatter sign, didn't you?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#58Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:49pm

I thought the show had a lot of uncomfortable Asian stereotypes. It wasn't just "Frikki-Frikki" that was racist. I still can't believe that song is still in the show.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#59Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:52pm

Looking at the song list, never would have guess that's what Frikki Frikki is supposed to mean. Yeesh- I'm really surprised a song like that actually made it into the show.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Pootie2
#60Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 12:57pm

As a tourist/outsider, I look at Honeymoon like this: It's Las Vegas, land of superficial chintzy ill repute, the polar opposite of "classy," so I would not expect anything profound and not racist/sexist, honestly.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 1/16/15 at 12:57 PM

DrowsyKaye
#61Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 1:03pm

According to what has been said already, a lot of the racist material occurs in Hawaii. So....

Pootie2
#62Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 1:04pm

Oh that's great!

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 1:12pm

Well, the main sexist part is the entire story, no? That he gets into debt playing cards and his finance has to spend a weekend with another man, whose interested in her as she looks like his dead wife, to make things right.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#64Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 1:42pm

It makes Hawaiians out to be happy and Hawaii a tropical
paradise.

The next thing you are going to say that it is insensitive to airline employees
because they are difficult with a smile. Well airline employees are difficult with a smile.

I think calling it racist is really taking sensitivity way to far!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#65Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 1:49pm

You're right- because the characters are happy, it means the portrayal isn't racist! Glad we've got that settled, that happiness=not racist.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#66Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 3:16pm

So where does it sit in the pantheon? Rear mezz? Front side balcony?

Up In One

MrJude Profile Photo
MrJude
#67Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 3:40pm

What I don't understand is how else a character who is from somewhere else can be played without any of you jumping up and down to call an accent or a portrayal racist. The actor of color is the one up there, probably using incredible amounts of talent to marry what perhaps a white male writer is looking for and what they are comfortable and able to play.

I'm a hispanic male and unlike most of my family I don't sport a crazy ridiculous accent. If I was asked to do one for a role I would, because knowing my family I know that as racist as it is to others, people just sometimes happen to talk that way.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#68Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 3:44pm

"You realize that that kind of attitude is part of the problem? If we let joke racism and sterotyping slide, then there's always going to be more."
I don't think this show is "part of the problem". So Book of Mormon states that people in Africa have sex with babies to cure their AIDS? I just don't necessarily think that every Broadway show has to teach us something. I felt like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time taught me something. That doesn't have to be true for all shows. It can just be two hours of entertainment, and that's it. In my own, personal opinion.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#69Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 4:06pm

I hope the show closes.

MrJude Profile Photo
MrJude
#70Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 5:07pm

Ah yes, the well-meaning wish to put professionals out of work. You astound me.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#71Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/16/15 at 10:08pm

This discussion reminded me of one of the greatest misogynists in American theater, and his presence in one of our most beloved musicals.

Women are irrational, that's all there is to that! Their heads are full of cotton, hay, and rags. They're nothing but exasperating, irritating, vacillating, calculating, agitating, maddening and infuriating hags!

Of course it was not expected that any theatergoer would be persuaded by him to join in those opinions.

Copperfield2
#72Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:26pm

Yes the opening song of Act 2 is also offensive. I felt uncomfortable for the Asian American actor who had to sing the song.

On the other hand, the show seems caught in some retro, Rat Pack age even though it's supposed to be in the present. Brown's score emphasizes that and enjoyed the songs with that vibe. But the book, though sometimes funny, really feels like it was written two decades ago.

Copperfield2
#73Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:30pm

The show has gotten several positive reviews, not just in the Times. Newsday, NY Daily News, Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, Variety, Time Out New York and a few others.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#74Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:35pm

"Fact, Honeymoon in Vegas is sexist. Fact, Honeymoon in Vegas is racist."

Nope.

Oh, and even though it was off Broadway, Jason Robert Brown's revival of The Last 5 Years did very well at Second Stage.

Videos