HAMILTON Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#75HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 10:39am

As much as I like the show, I have doubts on whether Hamilton is sufficiently commercial to make a go of it on Broadway. Maybe ITH fans will turn out, and rap fans too, to make up for the loss of the suburban theater parties. But what do I know? I thought Bullets Over Broadway and Honeymoon in Vegas would be big hits with that demographic.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#76HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 10:40am

Passing Strange definitely did not (I was shocked it transferred, I went midway through the run and lots of seats available) but Caroline or Change was a very very hot ticket. I remember being a young tuck only visiting New York and desperately wanting to see this. Sadly I was shut out of the Public run but moved to New York the weekend the Broadway run closed and saw the second to last performance. To this day one of my personal favorites.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#77HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 10:44am

Caroline or Change and Passing Strange ARE masterpieces... but I agree that being a masterpiece doesn't always translate to being a hit. Bloody Bloody also sold out at the Public for months and continued to extend and extend, but flatlined on Broadway due to opening in the slow, early Fall season and having that terrible ad campaign with the close up of a butt cheek that didn't match what the show was about or tell anyone what to expect if they went to see it. Plus they burned through their NY theatre audience down at the Public by extending so much. I would be worried that this might happen to FUN HOME too, except that FUN HOME has the tiny Circle in the Square Theatre and they are opening SUPER late right before Tony nominations... well played FUN HOME.

As for HAMILTON:

1. They need to wait till Spring to open this show.
2. It wouldn't hurt to have some kind of star, though I can't imagine who and in what role.
3. The ads and marketing have got to be genius.

Updated On: 1/29/15 at 10:44 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#78HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:01am

^^^ Many good points made here by Madonna.

neonlightsxo
#79HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:05am

They didn't have a star for IN THE HEIGHTS. Which recouped.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#80HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:08am

But it won the Tony. All shows that have won the award have recouped in the last 14 years except one.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Falling
#81HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:09am

In the Heights was a much more main stream show I think. This is a history lesson set to rap. (I love the lyrics and think it could be a great teaching tool. I'm not sure people want to go to the theater for a lesson on one of the Founding Fathers, though.)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#82HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:20am

I would and it's the main selling point for me. But I am in the miniority here.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#83HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:28am

1776 was considered a hit, wasn't it? But it was a long long time ago, and I think the financials on Broadway are much more difficult now.

indytallguy
#84HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 12:18pm

I won't get to see the show until April, but a history lesson set to rap sounds like school field trip material and potentially good group sales ... or would the show not lend itself to that?

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#85HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 12:32pm

blaxx, which winner didn't recoup?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#86HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 12:35pm

It would be great for school trips. There's a little bit of adult content, though, so the kids couldn't be too young. But compared to what they see on TV, Hamilton is not offensive.

Updated On: 1/29/15 at 12:35 PM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#87HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 12:47pm

I think it was Thoroughly Modern Millie

BroadwayBen
#88HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 12:50pm

It was PASSION.

neonlightsxo
#89HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 1:00pm

Hamilton could win the Tony next year. We have no idea yet.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#90HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 1:10pm

Passion was 20 years ago. If we go back that far, Sunset Boulevard didn't recoup either.

ads08
#91HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 1:40pm

I guess I'm in the minority here but I left the show last night at intermission. The large (mostly unnecessary) cast is really giving it their all and deserves all the praise. The show is choreographed and staged well. The set and costumes are great. However, the songs are mostly forgettable (some sound like 90s bubblegum pop) and the narrative went in directions that were totally unnecessary (Hamilton sings a song to his infant alongside Burr doing the same to his infant - thrilling). I think the main issue with the show is Lin-Manuel Miranda himself - he and his limited range are just not right for the role and the fact that he insists on playing Hamilton seems a bit narcissistic. At intermission I was just not interested in learning anything more about Hamilton. There's also something exhausting about watching the cast give their all for a mediocre book/score. I'm glad it's getting an audience but I honestly would have probably enjoyed it more had LMM not been in the show. He has a standby in the playbill - has anyone seen him perform?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#92HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:00pm

"Hamilton sings a song to his infant alongside Burr doing the same to his infant - thrilling"

Can't really speak for the show, but in reality, both Hamilton and Burr were profoundly affected by their relationship with their children (and their children's untimely deaths).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#93HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:01pm

That song nicely sets up the events of Act 2.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#94HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:06pm

Can't really speak for the show, but in reality, both Hamilton and Burr were profoundly affected by their relationship with their children (and their children's untimely deaths).

It also shows another example of just how parallel Hamilton and Burrs’ lives were – and how their children were both big priorities to each.

ETA: Lin posted on Twitter that his understudy would be going on for the February 1st show so that he (Lin) is able to watch the show from the audience. Updated On: 1/29/15 at 02:06 PM

neonlightsxo
#95HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:09pm

"the narrative went in directions that were totally unnecessary (Hamilton sings a song to his infant alongside Burr doing the same to his infant - thrilling)"

I'm assuming your use of "thrilling" was sarcasm, but you actually don't have a place to say what's necessary in the narrative considering you left at intermission. As was stated before me, their children are very important in the events of act 2, and to properly tell the story, the song sets it up. And it's a beautiful song, if I may say so.

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#96HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:19pm

Wasn't Lin reluctant to step in as Usnavi when it was first coming together? I wonder if him staring was a selling point for the Public.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#97HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 3:38pm

I think it was Thoroughly Modern Millie

That is right. Millie is the only winner on this list that didn't recoup. The award is pretty much a guarantee of making money at this point.

2001: The Producers
2002: Thoroughly Modern Millie
2003: Hairspray
2004: Avenue Q
2005: Spamalot
2006: Jersey Boys
2007: Spring Awakening
2008: In the Heights
2009: Billy Elliot the Musical
2010: Memphis
2011: The Book of Mormon
2012: Once
2013: Kinky Boots

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CoreyRyan3
#98HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 4:34pm

"There's also something exhausting about watching the cast give their all for a mediocre book/score."

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the actors are "giving it their all" because they love the book/score? Just because you didn't enjoy the score doesn't mean that they didn't love it. They may be giving it their all because they think it's a show worth giving it their all for.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#99HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 4:54pm

ads08
Your opinion of the show is irrelevant because you didn't watch the entire thing. I've seen a lot of bad shows, but I've never walked out. Maybe the second act pulled it all together and it was wonderful.