pixeltracker

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans- Page 5

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#100BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/11/15 at 1:01am

"Also, it will be interesting to see how many "stars" are willing to spend a day at the con, when there are weekend shows to perform."

Most of the actors the Broadway community considers "stars" worthy of meet and greets aren't in shows at any given time. I don't think attendees would be upset if the 18th replacement Elphaba and the current cast of the Jersey Boys aren't there.

"Hey, Mr. Davenport might have been on to something a few years ago - even if he didn't follow up on his own."

Thank god anyone else but him made it happen. I'd trust DashCon over Davenport with my money.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Pootie2
#101BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/20/15 at 4:29pm

GUEST LIST as of now. (With the little footnote "Note: All special guest appearances are subject to professional work commitments.")

Jason Tam
Anthony Rapp
Andy Mientus
Michael McElroy
Jennifer Colella
Seth Rudetsky
Tamika Lawrence
Telly Leung
Susan Blackwell
LaChanze

Oh man, I would love to go to a Seth panel/seminar/thing.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#102BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/20/15 at 5:24pm

Full list: http://www.broadwaycon.com/guests

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Pootie2
#103BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/20/15 at 5:36pm

They keep adding; with enough guests, I suppose it won't matter if some can't make it.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#104BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:29pm

Why are the tickets so expensive though?? Especially for a first year con?

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

Pootie2
#105BroadwayCon:
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:30pm

^I see you didn't read this whole thread.

"An informal FAQ of sorts from one of the organizers: http://penbitten.com/post/110085671761/on-the-first-few-days-of-broadwaycon-being-public "

Apparently that's because...it's the first year.

Updated On: 2/20/15 at 07:30 PM

Pootie2
#106BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/5/15 at 3:24pm

http://www.broadwaycon.com/tickets/about-broadwaycon-tickets/

Tickets are going on sale soon, but will be released in 3 batches (March, July, October). I haven't seen a system like this before and wonder why they're doing it like that.

AEA AGMA SM
#107BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/5/15 at 8:27pm

Just a guess, but maybe by releasing tickets in blocks like that it can help them gauge how much interest there is in this event and possibly be able to downgrade the amount of space (and thus cost) they have booked for it if initial ticket sales are significantly lower than expected?

Pootie2
#108BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/5/15 at 8:42pm

That's as feasible a theory as any. They say on the website they're doing this "to widen the opportunity for all fans to participate," but I have no idea what that actually means. I browsed their Twitter and found another explanatory tweet, "The batches just allow you to save up for your ticket, if necessary." I still don't believe this convention has sellout potential like the other major ones, at those prices, if they're trying to prevent ticket scalping, but who knows.

What kind of bothers me are the two blank "bonuses" under the July and October batches. The March lottery bonus for buying your tickets in the first batch is a chance to win a private meet-and-greet. What if you do that but find you'd prefer a bonus from one of the other batches? Hmm.

VintageSnarker
#109BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/5/15 at 9:02pm

Pootie2, my guess is that they're trying to make it seem like if they release the tickets all at once they'll sell out too quickly so spreading it out gives people a better chance at getting a ticket (so people won't pounce all at once/maybe you're working one of the days). I also wouldn't be surprised if they haven't quite figured out what the other bonuses are yet.

Pootie2
#110BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 5:26am

So tickets go on sale today (1 pm EST), and I didn't notice that there are a limited number of the $600 VIP passes (200). I wonder how fast those will go!

Hairspray0901
#111BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:57am

i don't think many are willing to fork up $600 off the bat when they go on sale today because still, people don't really know who or what they're paying for. i would consider buying the $600 if i had more solid information but being that it's new, i understand why they don't have this info ready. maybe they will sell these out though and i'll be out of luck, but, to me, $600 is ALOT of money for something I don't know much about.

i also think 200 VIP's is a pretty high number to give away. if you get "preferred" grand ballroom seating at a panel, how preferred can it be for 200 people? I mean, I don't know how many seats will be in each row or how many rows there will be but 200 is ALOT of seats.

bwcf
#112BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:12am

People keep saying this is new, the con may be new, but the people who run it have been doing highly successful cons for years. There are thousands of people that have had amazing experiences at these cons and a lot of them are Broadway fans who are excited and already planning on going.

I guess it is a good thing people on here aren't interested. I would rather go to a con with the people who have gone to past Leaky Cons and are excited and enthusiastic people, than the cynics who feel a need to **** on everything.

Pootie2
#113BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:35am

Actually, the primary concern hasn't been its newness but more about the prices compared to everything else con-goers know. The pricing has been brought up enough over social media that one of the producers addressed that in a separate explanatory post, which is helpful in pulling back the curtain.

As for the limited VIP number, who knows. It makes more sense to me to offer tighter numbers at the beginning to create less supply and push more demand, especially since they have two more sets of tickets to release, but maybe they have other math.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#114BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:44am

I think breaking up the ticket release is a good move. I'm sure they anticipate a younger audience that would want the time to save up for a ticket.

I put it in my calendar to remember to buy a ticket today and with the spending I've been doing on tickets to new shows I'm sort of wondering why if I know I can get it in a couple of months? There's just something about knowing you have the ticket I guess. :)

*** Also I just looked at the site again and I don't see any indication that there will be any bonus offers or contests associated with buying in the later release periods. I believe the chance to win a meet and greet is an attempt to motivate earlier buyers.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time
Updated On: 3/15/15 at 11:44 AM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#115BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:09pm

My wife and I are registered. Looking forward to it!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Pootie2
#116BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:21pm

"Also I just looked at the site again and I don't see any indication that there will be any bonus offers or contests associated with buying in the later release periods. I believe the chance to win a meet and greet is an attempt to motivate earlier buyers."

The future bonuses are implied by the "locked" boxes below future dates. It's true that that clue isn't much to go on, but it wouldn't make sense to create a graphic presentation like that otherwise.
Future batches.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#117BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:31pm

Oh perhaps that's the point of the locked boxes - I interpreted it as the tickets themselves will be unlocked on those dates.

I grabbed a general/weekend ticket but had to refresh a few times. Saw on twitter some people were having trouble. Looks like they also held back VIP tickets for future release dates which I was surprised to see.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

AngInFL79
#118BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:38pm

I bought my tickets and I'm looking forward to it. :)

bwcf
#119BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:45pm

Well the VIP tickets sold out in 10 minutes, so the demand is there! Too rich for me, but I got my regular ticket

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#120BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:52pm

Apparently, the link for tickets on the broadwaycon website was incorrect this morning - and the working link was on the facebook page. I don't know if it has been fixed as yet.

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#121BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 2:27pm

I am actually really glad they are doing this in January because hotel prices are about 30-40% cheaper that time of year. Now just hoping the weather will cooperate.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#122BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 2:42pm

Also heard that if you book the convention Hilton hotel directly online with Hilton and an AAA discount, the price is less expensive than the convention price.

Pootie2
#123BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 3:23pm

^Good tip.

First batch is sold out, apparently, as of 5 minutes ago.

I'm glad the demand is there. It makes perfect sense now that they had to get the guest list lined up ASAP to allow for the possible meet-n-greet. Hopefully this will help shows in January.

Edit: Aha. Looks like the 2nd batch bonus "raffle" (I guess it could be called) is a signed poster by every BwayCon special guest.

Updated On: 3/15/15 at 03:23 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#124BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 3:33pm

You need some legends or icons added to that list to make it exciting. The problem with a Broadway con, is that unlike a Comicon, fans can look at that list of guests and say "yeah, I can or have met all of them at a stage door. Why would I pay?" You need Chita, Liza, Bernadette, Patti, Channing.

You need rare performers. Broadways fans have a lot of access to stage actors. The TV and movie people at other cons we have no access to.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello