Chita's standby??

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 1:55pm

Jason Danieley posted on Facebook that no one will be disappointed with Chita's standby and that she will give an "incredible performance" if the need arises.

Sounds like someone of note. I was expecting the standard standby casting like a Karen Murphy. Any guesses?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:14pm

Rita Moreno.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:15pm

Lenora Nemetz?

givesmevoice
#3Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:15pm

From your mouth to God's ears, newintown.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#4Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:41pm

they might as well cancel the show if she can't go on

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:44pm

They might be getting a high profile standby in order to lessen refunds and even increase audiences if Chita is out. For instance, if Chita was out and Rita was in, you bet your ass Im staying AND coming back!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:51pm

I hope it's Glynis Johns.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#7Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:53pm

That's really odd.

Who of note would possibly agree to be a standby?

Well, color me curious.

....but the world goes 'round

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#8Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:05pm

The only person that would do is someone with true experience filling in at the last minute for an old lady due to an unexpected absence or injury .. it's got to be Michael C Hall.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:08pm

God, I hope it's Miss Coco.

givesmevoice
#10Chita's standby??

Actually, there's just going to be a matinee cast with Patti LuPone and Kevin Kline as Claire and Anton.

givesmevoice
#10Chita's standby??

Double post, again. (My work computer is so wonky these days.)

Updated On: 2/25/15 at 03:08 PM

DCS
#12Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:11pm

Carol Lawrence? I know she and Chita are good friends

AEA AGMA SM
#13Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:37pm

"That's really odd.

Who of note would possibly agree to be a standby?

Well, color me curious."

For Putting It Together they had Kathie Lee Gifford standing by for Carol Burnett. I'm sure a lot of the middle-aged house-wife tourists who were fans of Carol from her variety show were probably also huge fans of Regis and Kathie Lee and were equally as delighted to be seeing her. So it is possible to find a standby with a big enough name to lessen the impact of the star being out.

AHTC
#14Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:40pm

That situation with Burnett was slightly different because I don't think she was the standby, I think Gifford played 1 scheduled performance a week. I believe they had a separate standby.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#15Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:40pm

Kathie Lee didn't really stand by for Burnett in Putting It Together; she did planned performances. Burnett's standby was Ronnie (Rhonda) Farer.

AEA AGMA SM
#16Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:42pm

Thanks for the info. I knew Gifford did have planned performances each week, I just assumed she was also who they would put on in the event that Burnett had to miss a performance.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#17Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:47pm

I don't think I've ever heard of a real celebrity truly standing by for a role. I think it would be admitting that they were somehow "less than" the regular star.

Standbys have usually been folks like Maureen Moore - exceptionally skilled and talented, but not famous.

Has anyone heard of a star standing by?

Updated On: 2/25/15 at 03:47 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#18Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:48pm

Tammy Grimes? Olympia Dukakis? Liza?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:12pm

I don't know if Jason's comment suggests they are a star. Rather, they are just giving a great performance (or 'incredible', in his words) (e.g., perhaps observed in rehearsal. I realise it's early to rehearse a standby but given Chita's age they might want to be risk-averse)

EDIT: I was wrong.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 2/26/15 at 04:12 PM

#20Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:13pm

As much as I love Chita, if it's Maureen Moore I'll hold out in case she goes on.

Gothampc
#21Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:25pm

Liza "two new hips and two new knees" Minnelli

Stockard Channing

Christine Pedi

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Dollypop
#22Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:33pm

Loretta Swit?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:37pm

I was imagining Lenora Nemetz but I would DEFINITELY go see Carol Lawrence do it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24Chita's standby??
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:40pm

Florence Lacey?
Dee Hoty?