Ahmanson Theater - LA

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#1Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/10/15 at 9:11pm

Ahmanson Theater in LA just announced their new season and I gotta say it's pretty lackluster

Curious to see Sound Of Music since I've never seen it on stage - and already saw Gentlemen's Guide

Biut a revival of Titanic? zzzzzzzzzzz

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#2Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/10/15 at 9:50pm

Guess I won't be going to the Ahmanson once this next season.

LA TIMES coverage of the season

jbm2
#2Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:03am

Really looking forward to the revival of the Titanic- but that's it.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#3Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:20am

Gentelmans Guide is going to get swallowed in that barn.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#4Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:41am

I saw Gentelmans Guide on broadway once and once online. THE SHOW IS SO BORING.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#5Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:04am

Have to say not too excited either. I would like to see Titanic (never seen it), and perhaps Bridges (depending on the cast). I don't think I'll re-up for next year.

cryan71
#6Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:20am

I wonder what the surprise show is -- probably a new musical.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#7Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:48am

I hope the extra show is Hedwig starring NPH (or anyone to be honest). How cool would that be? We really get spoiled here in L.A.. and I'm not complaining haha

TasteofCyn
#8Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:25am

Was "A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder" that bad? I wanted to see if after the perf at the Tony Awards. I'll wait for Hot Tix for it.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#9Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 3:05am

If you think gentleman's guide will be lost wait until you see Titanic

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#10Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:33pm

TasteofCyn: I didn't think Gentleman's Guide was bad at all--I really enjoyed it and thought it was hilarious.

VernonGersch
#11Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:34pm

Hedwig would be amazing...i would love to see it again but this season has no direction, no nuance and no character
I'm glad GG is getting a LA production, it was throughly charming and Sound Of Music could well indeed be a great night out since I've never seen it on Stage and expect it will have high production value and hopefully a wonderfuly talented cast.
Titanic when I saw it The Ahmanson over a decade ago was really really bad....why would they bring this back???

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:42pm

I adored GGTLAM. It's a broad comedy, so if those are not your thing, I wouldn't bother seeing it, but it had some of the funniest and most cleaver effects I've seen, and the food spitting scene had tears pouring down my face.

How small is the production of Titanic? I can't imagine it being smaller than GG.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Wildcard
#13Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:00pm

I'd have to disagree with you Vernon, this upcoming season is a vast improvement over the last two at the Ahmanson.

Diva, Titanic is based on the critically acclaimed Southwark Playhouse's chamber production. It relied more on the music versus the spectacle (or lack of spectacle that the last US tour had). I think Southwark Playhouse has a capacity of 240 so translate that to the Ahmanson and you see the difference.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#14Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:13pm

I feel like you guys complain over everything. We got a season with only musicals. It's a great season.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#15Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:19pm

I'm confused, I thought Matilda was going to be the first show of the new season for the Ahmanson.

Wildcard
#16Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:33pm

Matilda is part of the 2014-2015 season

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#17Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:44pm

I was really sorry to see that TITANIC will be the "chamber" version. I get that it played well in a 240 seat venue, but TITANIC is big and should be presented as such...or maybe not at all. The Ahmanson seats 2,000 people depending on how it's configured; 1,600 at a minimum. Hell, maybe John Doyle should come in and direct it with a cast of six: the captain, two crew members and one person playing each class of passenger...and all playing instruments.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#18Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:47pm

Thanks Wildcard. I see where I was confused; Ahmanson is the first stop of the tour.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#19Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:56pm

Titanic is dreadful no matter what production it is. YUCK! Sound Of Music is a relic of a show and this is being produced just to capitalize on the films anniversary and recent exposure. I am hoping the un announced show will be The Audience. The producers seem to have a relationship with CTG.. so I am hoping. It would be great if they brought Hedwig to the smaller Montalban or the Music Box ( where it has played before when it was called something else).

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/11/15 at 02:56 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#20Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 6:46pm

"Titanic is dreadful no matter what production it is. YUCK!"

It's funny, I have the German cast recording of TITANIC and, hearing the score sung in German is almost Wagnerian. It sounds like Grand Opera!

TasteofCyn
#21Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 7:35pm

acekatherineplumber2 - thanks for the reply! I will see it at Ahmanson :)

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#22Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:18pm

TasteofCyn: You're welcome. I hope you like it as much as I did!

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#23Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/12/15 at 2:44am

geeking out over theater buildings in this post, don't mind me

I think the Montalban (and the Broad and the Wallis and the Ahmanson) are too modern/boring inside for Hedwig—I feel like that's a show that should be in a physical theater with a lot of character, which those newer interiors don't really have. I don't know if the Music Box (now Fonda) can put seats in the orchestra, and it's also pretty wide. Also, since it's primarily a concert venue, they may have some musical acts booked for next fall/spring already (though I have no clue about that).

It might have too much character, but I'd love to see Hedwig in one of the old movie palaces/vaudeville theaters in DTLA, like the Million Dollar, the Orpheum or the Los Angeles. I think that would be very cool (and a much better venue for the show than the Ahmanson or the beautiful but cavernous Pantages).

VernonGersch
#24Ahmanson Theater - LA
Posted: 3/14/15 at 9:17am

that is a genius concept for Hedwig - now only if they can only confirm it will play LA

This will be the first year in over a decade where I won't be renewing my subscription to the Ahmanson.

Videos