dramamama611
#25FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:06pm

Oy.

What's wrong with revivals?

Fun Home
Hand to God
Something Rotten

I don't think the problem is the "writer" of Dr. Zhivago.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#26FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:09pm

FINDING NEVERLAND Previews

Found a picture of the Playbill song list on Tumblr. The first two numbers haven been replaced with three new ones (the prologue and "Better" from the ART run. I liked "Better", though the lyrics were somewhat moronic at times, one of which is reprised later in the first act. I'm assuming "All of London is Here Tonight" takes the place of Better. The 'Pirates' number, which is new and the one with the reprise, is for the boys and I don't think they need another number, but oh well. I was sure that in Boston, "The Dinner Party" and "We Own the Night" were one song, but now they are two.
I'm just really happy "Play" is still in the show and I hope it is pretty much the same as the ART run. It was my favorite number and I think it will be done in concerts, musical theatre classes, and high school musical cast parties for years to come.

ETA: Oops, sorry! Forgot to post the picture!
ETA2: I forgot that "Rearranging the Furniture" has also been cut. And...
SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!
SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!
According to Tumblr, Porthos the dog is now played by a real dog!

Updated On: 3/15/15 at 09:09 PM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#27FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:13pm

"She didn't say much, except: LOTS of changes, she doesn't like it nearly as much, preferred JJ to Morrison and that "something" was missing. No details."

Lots of changes - sounds hopeful

Up In One

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#28FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:16pm

Huh, looks like "Play" and "What You Mean to Me" have swapped order.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#29FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:20pm

^Wow, totally missed that. And this show was one of the rare occasions where I thought Act II was tighter than Act I.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#30FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:38pm

^ Doesn't it seem like that swap of song order changes some emotional meaning? I always felt that the emotions in "What You Mean to Me" were set free -- made possible -- by what had just happened in "Play." Interesting.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#31FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:40pm

Yes, it might. I thought that was the smoothest part of the show, but we shall see.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#32FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:48pm

Oh, and "All That Matters" is now coming after the dinner party scene rather than before. Thank you for posting that Playbill pic!

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#33FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:51pm

^See, that makes sense to me. It adds even more depth to what Sylvia is saying and gives it more support, and gives her mother more reason to not particularly like Barrie.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#34FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:01pm

In all of the press rehearsal footage, Porthos was still played by a human. Hmm.

maxximumvolume2 Profile Photo
maxximumvolume2
#35FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:14pm

I was pretty skeptical about this based on the word out of ART, however I rather enjoyed this evening of theatre and it all ran very smoothly for a first preview. There's still a bit of tightening to be done, but there's some definitive magic running in this show, with lovely performances (Mr. Grammer is terrific), inventive choreography, and an above average (and hummable!) score. Perhaps most surprising was how emotionally affected I was, particularly by the final 20 minutes which has some really beautiful theatrical moments and a feeling of bittersweet joy that moved me.

Also nice to see Season 8 of So You Think You Can Dance winner Melanie Moore making a strong Broadway debut.

Updated On: 3/15/15 at 10:14 PM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#36FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:15pm

From the press footage, I am guessing that Porthos is played by for Pippin player, Colin Cunliffe.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#37FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:19pm

See, that makes sense to me. It adds even more depth to what Sylvia is saying and gives it more support, and gives her mother more reason to not particularly like Barrie.

I agree.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#38FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:26pm

How was the house? I'm sad this hasn't popped up on TDF yet.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#39FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:28pm

According to Finding Neverland's social media... it was sold out!

SharoninB
#40FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:34pm

delete Updated On: 3/16/15 at 10:34 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#41FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:39pm

I'm going on Thursday and really looking forward to it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#42FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:40pm

I stopped by to try to get a ticket around 5pm and it was sold out, save one premium seat

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#43FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:43pm

I find that 1st night of previews are usually sold out for musicals as is for FN tonight but that means nothing and with Harvey at the helm it will be heavily papered during previews.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/15/15 at 10:43 PM

Buddy Plummer2
#44FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:20pm

The mezzanine was full of a (loud and ridiculously rude) school group.

I'll keep my thoughts brief:
There's quite a few moments where Diane Paulus's direction, Laura Michele Kelly, the kids, and Kelsey really shine.
Matthew Morrison couldn't commit to an accent or an acting choice to save his life.
Some moments were really magic
Others felt like blatant rip offs of better musicals and sunk like a lead balloon.
Fun Home officially has no competition.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#45FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:21pm

I saw the show at ART and loved it. My daughter (who had not seen it) saw it tonight at the first preview. She texted me at intermission "WOW" She and the audience were very impressed with the ending of Act 1. My daughter can be a "musical snob", so this can be seen as high praise.
She confirmed that they cut the "Rearranging the Furniture"---which I really liked and she loved the song where they create the "merry go round" on stage. They must have improved the budget on that number, because she said it was very impressive---and it was kind of cheesy at ART. She said they had a real dog. She sent a picture of the curtain and it was beautiful. She said the audience was very excited and loved the show. Of course, this is the first preview, lots of "fans" and friends of the production.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#46FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:22pm

I saw this tonight. HOLY SH*T. I was absolutely blown away. There are so many good things going on in this production, that I don't even know where to begin. This is a top notch production in every way.

The score for this is simply stunning. The songs, orchestrations, and vocals are sweeping. This is also a good place for me to mention that the sound design was incredible. The show was loud, crisp, and clear. Not one word was missed, and the orchestra could be heard very clearly. I loved the new lyrics and scene change for All That Matters. Very effective.

Matthew Morrison. I do not even know where to begin. His performance was one of the strongest performances I have ever seen from an actor on Broadway. His voice just soars. He is truly perfect for this part. Laura Michelle Kelly is just stunning as Sylvia. I am really hoping she receives a Tony nomination for her performance, because it is well deserved. The children were also great.

The set is beautiful. It is the same concept as what was seen in Boston, but it is much more elaborate. Set pieces track on instead of being slid into place by actors, and there are quite a few added set pieces as well. The lighting and projections illuminate the stage with perfection and grace.

I have never once shed a tear during a movie or stage show. Not once. I am just not that type of person. However, that changed tonight. At the end of the show I had tears streaming down my face, and not just because I was sad about the ending (although that was part of it), but also because I was moved by this show so much. I really hope this catches on and has a long and healthy life, because I really think it deserves it.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 3/18/15 at 11:22 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#47FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:42pm

Never mind.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
Updated On: 3/15/15 at 11:42 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#48FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:43pm

OKBroadwayFan, She sent a picture of the curtain and it was beautiful.
---
Can we see...please post.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#49FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:43pm

Does Mary no longer have a verse in "Circus of Your Mind?"