SharoninB
#51FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:49pm

delete Updated On: 3/16/15 at 11:49 PM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#52FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 11:54pm

There are pictures of the curtain on Instagram (and pictures of Morrison posing with people at the stage door, if people care about that).

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:01am

SharoninB
What gives...enough already!

Here is info from the mailer I received discounted tix till 5/3
Code: Mail1
ticketmaster.com
Orch/front mezz $89
mezz $79
rear mezz $59

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

After Eight
#54FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:18am

Peter Pan is infused with magic. It can confer it as well. The one scene in Finding Neverland that captures this precious quality is the one that recreates moments from that work. The rest of the show, unfortunately, remains resolutely earthbound. It moves smoothly, but uneventfully, in what is frankly a somewhat doleful tale. It needs an infusion of both humor and vitality.

Matthew Morrison deserves much better than the character of Barrie as depicted here, who seems barely to register a pulse. Considering how few opportunities it affords him to shine, he does a very good job with it. His singing voice is strong.

Kelsey Grammer gets the majority of the laugh lines, and he makes the most of them. The show offers a few jokes of the anachronistic variety, and they should be removed: a reference to Cheers, a remark about being a child of the '60s, a joke about "fairies."

The score is painless enough to listen to, but none too memorable. Songs of the power ballad variety seem ill suited to the milieu and characters. There's a pleasant production number set in Kensington Gardens that provides a bit of cheer. A number evoking nursery rhymes also offers momentary brightness. The closing number of the first act creates a striking tableau.

There are a few effective visuals: a roiling sea, passing clouds, a shower of gold flecks. Otherwise, I found the set design neither imaginative, nor particularly attractive.

Running time: 2 hours, 50 minutes.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#55FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:21am

Sounds a bit dreary, AfterEight. You didn't mention the choreography by Mia Michaels? Much dance in the show?

batchels
#56FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:25am

I was there tonight and loved the show!! I found it to be very emotional and had tears streaming down my face by the end. I think the show will appeal to the masses which should bring commercial success. The songs were great (spotted Gary Barlow in attendance) and thought it was interesting they were taking CD pre-orders for the pop artist version released in April.

Laura Michelle Kelly fared best among the leads. Although I liked Matthew Morrison, I did have an issue with his accept. I had to look up Barrie at intermission since Morrison made him sound like he was Irish (not Scottish). I preferred Kelsey Grammer when he was not singing.

The choreography was terrific, especially highlighted by Melanie Moore, wow, Mia Michaels has to get a Tony nomination if not win.

No major technical glitches that I noticed though I thought the orchestra was too loud for the vocals. The dog also seemed to be a bit uncooperative.

This was only my second time going to a first preview, but the audience seemed filled with friends and family given the excessive enthusiasm.

All in a great evening at the theater and this was easily the best show of my weekend trip (also saw Constellations, The King and I, and On the 20th Century).

I also much preferred Neverland over Fun Home at the Public.

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 12:25 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#57FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:30am

batchels,bwayphreak234,
tears streaming down my face by the end, I had tears streaming down my face

---
Really? Not sure I want to see it then!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#58FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:36am

Upon checking some random dates on Ticketmaster just now… this show seems to be selling extremely well. Could it be?

Back Row
#59FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:44am

Most of the responses here are pretty consistent with my experience when I saw the show in Cambridge. It is, above all, an enjoyable evening at the theater. I don't think it aspires to be much more than that. I agree that the Barrie character, even though he is on stage for virtually the entire show, does not have many big moments. It's just not the kind of role that invites a lot of recognition. My favorite performer at A.R.T was Michael McGrath, in part because it is a showier role. It sounds like Grammer has taken up where McGrath left off. I don't expect this show to be at the top of the critics' lists, but I do expect it to be commercially successful.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:45am

Sharonin- all of your posts are unnecessary.

According to my previously mentioned friend, Mary doesn't sing at all. She didn't care for Morrison, specifically stating he didn't seem to have any connection to Sylvia.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GreasedLightning
#61FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:52am

Right now, I have the option to sit front row mezz (seat 15) or third row of the orchestra but 5 or 6 seats to the side (house left). Any suggestions?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#62FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 12:56am

Mezz! You do not want to be too close for this one.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GreasedLightning
#63FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 1:00am

Thanks dramamama611! I'll purchase those now while I've got em in my cart :) Nothing like midnight ticket purchases to start a Monday morning.

mikey2573
#64FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 1:24am

So Porthos is now played by a real dog. I wonder when this decision was makde. Looking at the video of the number BELIEVE in rehearsal, it looked like they still had an actor playing the dog. Sounds like this may have been a last minute decision.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#65FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 2:47am

Im kinda surprised Mary Barrie does not have a "Being Mrs. Banks" type number.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

After Eight
#66FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 7:27am

"Much dance in the show?"

Cukor Lover,

It made little impression on me, but another poster seems to have been quite taken with it.

Mattbrain
#67FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:11am

So Porthos is no longer played by an actor?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

neonlightsxo
#68FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:39am

Sharon, why do all your posts say "delete"? What's the point in posting at all if you just go and edit them later? What a waste of everyone's time.

Fame, I *highly* doubt we'll see Neverland on TDF ever. Harvey Weinstein is not a TDF kind of guy.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#69FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:42am

Seeing this next Saturday and very excited. It's weird that the dog is played by a real dog now. In the press preview they did a couple of weeks ago, the part was clearly played by an actor. I wonder why the sudden change.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#70FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:49am

Ahhh good point Neon.

From everything I am hearing this man could end up being the next David Merrick.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#71FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:41am

FINDING NEVERLAND Previews

Curtain

[URL=FINDING NEVERLAND Previews

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 10:41 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#72FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:50am

Weinstein could end up being David Merrick...in his dreams.

There will only be one David Merrick.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#73FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:51am

"Fame, I *highly* doubt we'll see Neverland on TDF ever. Harvey Weinstein is not a TDF kind of guy."

TRUE, but Harvey Weinstein also seems like the kind of guy who wants butts in seats, rather then reports of anything less then a full house. I would say it's likely this'll pop up on TDF.

Back Row
#74FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:03am

Those who saw the show in Cambridge know that the relative success of the Porthos characterization was largely due to the charm and the clown skills of Thayne Jasperson. Without those skills, it ends up being just a man playing a dog. Perhaps the replacement could not summon enough charm in the character to make it worthwhile. However, replacing him with a dog is also making a choice to eliminate a number of moments of physical humor and alter some of the choreography, so I am surprised they waited so long to make such a significant change.