pixeltracker

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews - Page 2

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#25ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:35pm

I think it's going to be Chita vs Kristin vs Kelli. As for the revivals it's either ON THE TOWN, ON THE 20TH CENTURY, or THE KING AND I that will take the Best Revival of a Musical trophy.

But this season has been some the best when it comes to revivals.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:42pm

What about the revival of Sideshow?

Poster Emeritus

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#27ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:43pm

Matthew Murray's review is as impossible to decipher as always, but seems to be mixed to negative

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/index.html

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#28ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:43pm

"What about the revival of Sideshow?"

If that was still running, it would've had a chance of winning. But since it's not, a nomination would be enough of a win for them already. Updated On: 3/15/15 at 08:43 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#29ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:46pm

If SIDESHOW did get nominated, it would make me happy that the Broadway community hasn't forgotten about it for like 6 seconds.

SharoninB
#30ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:49pm

sorry jv92 deleted Updated On: 3/15/15 at 08:49 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#31ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:51pm

Note: That's the AP review. It's not the NY Times review by either Brantley or Isherwood.

I'm assuming that Brantley will come his pants over this one, should he review it.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#32ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:52pm

Kelli O'Hara is so level-headed and grounded that I don't think she would be very upset on being bypassed again. It certainly hasn't affected the demand for her services.

Kristin deserves bonus point for putting her small, injured body and her big voice through the ordeal of doing this show eight times a week, out of a strong desire to appear in this grueling musical that she knew nothing about when her vocal instructor, Florence Birdwell, first told her it was a perfect role for her.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#33ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:04pm

This is pure conjecture but maybe Kelli O'Hara's consistency and ability to get roles on Broadway hurts her. It's starting to become a game where they're just trying to find the right time to reward her and maybe the voters feel like they have time to give her an award when the timing is right.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#34ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:08pm

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It's all politics and bullsh*t. It's fun to predict and see people win. But comparing the roles of Mrs. Anna and Lily Garland, not to mention the ladies playing them respectively, are like comparing apples and oranges.

And Kelli O'Hara's consistency and ability to get roles cannot and will not be considered a bad thing. She's a working actress and does wonderful work, and that's all that matters in the long run.

thebeautyis3
#35ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:10pm

There was a rumor going around last year that a significant number of Tony voters voted for Mueller over O'Hara, at least in part, because they thought they would have this year to award her for The King and I (her participation in The King and I leaked very shortly after Bridges announced its closing).

Jeffrey Karasarides
#36ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:10pm

"It's starting to become a game where they're just trying to find the right time to reward her and maybe the voters feel like they have time to give her an award when the timing is right."

Even Kelli O'Hara herself had openly expressed that she knew it would've been wrong had she beaten the following:
Sara Ramirez-Spamalot
LaChanze-The Color Purple
Patti LuPone-Gypsy
Audra McDonald-Porgy & Bess
Jessie Mueller-Beautiful

She thinks if she ever does win someday, it should feel right. Updated On: 3/15/15 at 09:10 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#37ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:12pm

She has? I don't recall that.

Jeffrey Karasarides
ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#39ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:16pm

"It's starting to become a game where they're just trying to find the right time to reward her and maybe the voters feel like they have time to give her an award when the timing is right."

Even Kelli O'Hara herself had openly expressed that she knew it would've been wrong had she beaten the following:
Sara Ramirez-Spamalot
LaChanze-The Color Purple
Patti LuPone-Gypsy
Audra McDonald-Porgy & Bess
Jessie Mueller-Beautiful

That's so different from Patti Lupone's take. Not that she said she deserved to win over LaChanze...but well, you know...it's Patti Lupone and she's not the most gracious loser. I remember when she said she didn't really remember losing the Tony for Anything Goes but managed to get a slight dig about Joanna Gleason looking like the Tin Man. Updated On: 3/15/15 at 09:16 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:17pm

Ah, thank you Jeffery. Didn't catch that interview until now.

thebeautyis3
#41ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:26pm

I think she gave that interview pre-Tonys and said that Bridges was the first role she felt like she was worthy of a win for. I don't think she ever said Mueller deserved the award over her (though she did have a lot of praise for the performance).

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:37pm

She is becoming the Susan Lucci of Broadway

Poster Emeritus

#43ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:45pm

Not to be whatever about it, Jeffrey, but I've seen you make this same comment before in a different thread and I think you're misrepresenting what Kelli has said/implied about her previous nominations. In that particular interview you linked to, Kelli says that she didn't feel she deserved to win over Audra for Porgy and Bess or over Patti for Gypsy. In her Show People interview last year before the Tonys, she said IF she wasn't in the race and DIDN'T want to win something, it should go to Mueller. Listening to her talk about her love for Bridges and the character of Francesca throughout last year's Tony season (and since), I think it's pretty clear that she did feel it was finally her time.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#44ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:48pm

Roxy: GFY.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#45ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:48pm

Not to fuel the off topicness of this thread, but I alway think it's funny when people are like, "I can't believe Leo DiCaprio doesn't have an Oscar yet!" And I'm like,"Have you ever heard of Kelli O'Hara?!"

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#46ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:51pm

If both Chenoweth and O'Hara get nominated, I wonder who Florence Birdwell will root for more.

Updated On: 3/15/15 at 09:51 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#47ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 9:53pm

I'd say a about 99.99999999% of people who are talking about Leonardo DiCaprio *don't know who Kelli O'Hara is.

Updated On: 3/15/15 at 09:53 PM

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#48ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:00pm

Sorry, wasn't totally clear. I then explain how she has been nominated for 5 Tonys as opposed to DiCaprio's 4 Oscars, and in a shorter amount of time.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:06pm

Brantley is a big fat RAVE

In the theater, there is overacting, which is common and painful to watch. Then there’s over-the-moon acting, which is rare and occupies its own special cloud land in heaven. I am delighted to report that this latter art is being practiced in altitudinous-high style at the American Airlines Theater, where Kristin Chenoweth and Peter Gallagher are surfing the stratosphere in “On the Twentieth Century.”

Scott Ellis’s ripping, lavishly appointed revival of this 1978 musical about dueling giant egos on a train between Chicago and New York — which opened on Sunday night in a Roundabout Theater Company production — knows that when it comes to being hyperbolic, there’s no people like show people. No, not even excitable reviewers like me on the morning after a show like this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/theater/review-on-the-twentieth-century-with-kristin-chenoweth-opens-on-broadway.html?_r=0