pixeltracker

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews - Page 5

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#100ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:28pm

Saw the show on Thursday night, the cast where amazing, Kristen really is a power house of a performer. I wasn't really a huge fan of the show, it all seemed like we had seen it all before.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dev101
#101ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/5/15 at 7:25am

Dying to see this show! all the reviews look so great. Im a big Kristen Chenoweth fan and her voice is just spectacular.  If you use todaytix, consider using my code RSDSI to save $20 and help me earn $ to save to see the show! 

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#102ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/5/15 at 7:49am

"There was a rumor going around last year that a significant number of Tony voters voted for Mueller over O'Hara, at least in part, because they thought they would have this year to award her for The King and I (her participation in The King and I leaked very shortly after Bridges announced its closing). "

That's never a wise thing to do. I actually really don't know what reviews Kelli will get it. I don't think the production is going to get raves and I wouldn't be surprised if Kelli doesn't get raves, since many have called her performance a bit dull and lacking in subtext. Then again, they are still in previews so who knows if she will grow in the role or not.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#103ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/5/15 at 8:16am

Not to threadjack or nothin', but I've now seen The King and I, The Visit, Fun Home, OTTC and An American in Paris. No female performer in any of those other musicals stopped the show cold the way Chenoweth did several times Friday night in Twentieth. Our jaws were on the floor-- this performance is what they're referring to when they're talking legendary. Spoken as a devoted fan of both Kelli and Chita, (and less so of Kristin frankly,) I would be shocked if Cheno doesn't claim the Tony come June. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#104ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/6/15 at 2:42am

Maybe people are beginning to take Kelli for granted. She is the hardest working of the current female stars. She goes from one project to the next, of whatever genre, Nice Work to Madison County to a featured role in a Met operetta to Anna in an R&H classic, and she  always delivers without seeming to break a sweat. She worked through and around two pregnancies. We can expect to receive reviews like, "Of course Kelli O'Hara was a nearly flawless Anna...."

But Kristin is giving the performance of her career in a grueling role that no one else could duplicate. After Wicked, she has not gained much in a quest to secure her reputation as a genuine Broadway star. How could she, when she was on the other side of the country playing featured actress roles in mediocre television and film. Lots of actresses could have played those TV and film roles (except probably Glee), but no one else could play Lily Garland.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#105ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/6/15 at 3:17am

Maybe people are beginning to take Kelli for granted. She is the hardest working of the current female stars. She goes from one project to the next, of whatever genre, Nice Work to Madison County to a featured role in a Met operetta to Anna in an R&H classic, and she  always delivers without seeming to break a sweat. She worked through and around two pregnancies. We can expect to receive reviews like, "Of course Kelli O'Hara was a nearly flawless Anna...."

But Kristin is giving the performance of her career in a grueling role that no one else could duplicate. After Wicked, she has not gained much in a quest to secure her reputation as a genuine Broadway star. How could she, when she was on the other side of the country playing featured actress roles in mediocre television and film. Lots of actresses could have played those TV and film roles (except probably Glee), but no one else could play Lily Garland.
 "

Well, at least she made some money, became a somewhat of a name (at least warranting a passing joke on 30 Rock with some people maybe being able to recognize her face) and got an Emmy and a few nominations out of it. Granted, a lot of the stuff she did was mediocre, but she did get parts in some pretty well-reviewed shows. I guess I can't really fault her for her ambition. I mean Audra Macdonald was on a spin-off of Grey's Anatomy for a few years while Sutton Foster has had parts in a few shows and is trying to find a show that won't get canceled after one-two seasons.

Also, I don't know if it's right to say Kelli is more "hard working" than the others. She has consistently worked more on stage, it's true, but it's not as if the other women were lazy or that the work they did in-between Broadway shows weren't hard work. It reminds me of the Tony Award actress roundtable last year where all the other nominated women were taken aback when Tyne Daly said 8 shows a week is easy compared to a television schedule after they were all talking about how television work fed their stage addiction.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 03:17 AM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#106ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:22pm

Sounds like an interesting discussion. Of course there is a difference on television if you are one of the co-stars as Tyne was and are in almost every scene.

But I would not criticize Audra or Kristin for taking a vacation from eight shows a week, making some good bucks, nice weather, and still doing concerts. They may need to take breaks to avoid burn-out. But I would question how long Kristin was gone because her resume up until 20th Century would not establish her as a great Broadway star.

I know that shooting a TV series involves long days, even if you are just featured. But on Broadway you're the star, everyone has come to see you, and you can't screw up and get away with it. But Kelli really seems to enjoy the work.

sctrojan65
#107ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:50am

This show is fantastic!! Not a weak performance in the entire cast. And I agree that Chenoweth is phenomenal in this show. She is a regular tour de force as Lily!  Peter Gallgaher is quite good himself, and Andy Karl is really funny.  

From the moment they come down the aisle at the beginning of the show, the four porters are absolutely great too.

And the sets?  Just wow.   So colorful and rich.   And the movement of the sets and lighting bring the show to life in a really fun and rich way.

A high class production from start to finish!

See it.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 12:50 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#108ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 10:53pm

Chenoweth was out of tonight's show with Mamie Parris went on for her. anyone there tonight?? I could only imagine the refund line at the box office.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#109ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:09am

This is very predictable with Kristin already being sick yesterday, but going on anyway. Very admirable but only postponed her being out by a day.'ve seen some comment on Twitter that they re-seated the Mezzanine into the Orchestra to fill it up... and that Mamie was very good.

If I wasn't a bit under the weather myself I'd gone done and grabbed a rush ticket to see how Mamie did... oh well.

Any detailed reports are very welcome!

_IrisTInkerbell
#110ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:09am

This is very predictable with Kristin already being sick yesterday, but going on anyway. Very admirable but only postponed her being out by a day.'ve seen some comment on Twitter that they re-seated the Mezzanine into the Orchestra to fill it up... and that Mamie was very good.

If I wasn't a bit under the weather myself I'd gone done and grabbed a rush ticket to see how Mamie did... oh well.

Any detailed reports are very welcome!

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#111ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 1:50am

We are going to rush today (no matter who is in, I love Mamie's voice) so I'll let you guys know who we see!

promisespromises2
#112ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 4:50pm

Saw the matinee and loved Mamie Parris as Lily! Cheno definitely has more of the comedy down but if Mamie were to ever take over she could absolutely get it down.   I didn't realize how awesome of a voice Peter has, but I prefer Moyes' acting a little more.  I loved seeing it a second time time and actually seeing it without Cheno (whom I adore profusely) makes me realize how deeply I love the music and the energy.  Just watch everyone's face in the ensemble, it's fricken great.  Every one of them gives 100% and the tap dancing porters deserve all the credit in the world. They're brilliant.

theatreguy12
#113ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 7:46pm

I loved the tapping porters too.   They brought additional, amazing life to an already spectacular, vivacious and colorful show.  

I am so torn between this one and On the Town.  I loved them both.

I sure hope one of them takes home the prize for best revival.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#114ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 8:25pm

"I loved the tapping porters too.   They brought additional, amazing life to an already spectacular, vivacious and colorful show.  
I am so torn between this one and On the Town.  I loved them both.
I sure hope one of them takes home the prize for best revival."

I think THE KING AND I might take the award but I would still be happy if those two could win, we have had a great year when it comes to revivals.

Updated On: 4/25/15 at 08:25 PM

theatreguy12
#115ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 8:42pm

I didn't get a chance to see The King and I.  I figured I'd go for something different since I've seen The King and I so many times, including the installment with Lou Diamond Phillips and Donna Murphy.

As much as I love the show, I would like to see something else get it this time.  

If, of the three, The King and I is the best, then by all means, it should win.  Even if it did win for revival less than two decades ago.

After seeing both On the Town and On the Twentieth Century, The King and I would have to hit a grand slam on every level for it to overtake these other two.  Especially as great as they were.

After seeing OTTC, The King and I, by comparison seems safe and full proof.  It's such a perfect show already (R&H made sure of that) that if you have two strong leads who can sing and act, it should be a good production.  Particularly if it's on Broadway.

OTTC though requires so much physicality and timing, in addition to great vocal and acting performances, that IMO if it's a great production (and it is), it should get a nod over something like The King and I.  Seems to be more risk involved in staging a show like OTTC.  If the timing, or any of the performances are off, it could ruin the impact of the show.

And this revival of OTTC hits it on all cylinders.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#116ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/25/15 at 11:44pm

yes, she was out of both shows today. I wouldn't expect her back on Sunday, either.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

wexy
#117ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/26/15 at 6:54am

I'm a subscriber and I got a call from Roundabout at 4:30 that she'd be out Friday night so my friends and I released out tickets and rescheduled..

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

sadephram
#118ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/26/15 at 7:57am

Can anyone confirm that Kristin will indeed be out today as well? Thanks!

promisespromises2
#119ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/26/15 at 8:25am

So far the website does not mention anything about her being out of the show today… Just keeping checking here: 

http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/On-the-Twentieth-Century.aspx

EDIT: She will NOT be performing today (Sunday, Apr. 26).

Updated On: 4/26/15 at 08:25 AM

_IrisTInkerbell
#120ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/26/15 at 12:39pm

Mamie tweeted that she would be on one last time today, so I expect Kristin to be in the show again on Tuesday. That gives her another 2 days to recover.

rjm516
#121ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/26/15 at 2:27pm

Hope she makes a swift recovery! I'm seeing the show in 3 weeks and bringing family to see it. Can't wait!

broadwaysfguy
#122ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 12:16am

Happy to report kChen is back and she was incredible-the range and breadth of singing was wonderful

she was hilarious

and the only hint of her virus was a few coughs in the first act

She will be tough to beat on tony day

This was a much better show than I expected, even after the glowing reviews

this is more of a musical comedy romp than a typical musical-the acting and timing and pacing throughout was wonderful sets and costumes exceptional

And peter Gallagher Andy Karl and Mary Louise wilson(she was amazing) were standout performers 

im not humming any of the songs right now but probably will after a few more times listening to the cast recording

go see this right away if you haven't yet

this is a sparkling and rare gem of a revival

Ps if you go on Tuesdays there is a theatre expert that talks about the history of the show  it starts at 730 on the 6th floor

tomorrow is  an American in Paris and fun home I love Wednesdays on Broadway!!!!!

gmhots
#123ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:19am

On The Town was plodding and boring compared to OTTC. What comedy, and what timing! Some may dislike C&G's score but there are some really witty lyrics in there, and what a fun book. OTT has neither of those things.

I feel Best Revival will be between OTTC and K&I. And Kristin is really putting 110% into the role, so I hope she gets the Tony. Although, I have to say O'Hara is really, really unlucky. I wouldn't be too upset if she won either, but Anna isn't that showy of a role and her performance was more subtle and less engaging (just the nature of the role.)

It will be a nail-biter to the end (and let's not forget Chita.)

GO LISTEN TO THE CAST RECORDING OF OTTC (available somewhere on E! News online) and you will see why Kristin's voice is perfect for the part. O'Hara could never do something like this.

broadwaysfguy
#124ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 9:26am

Welcome gmhots 

I see k&i friday and ott Saturday so it will be fun to compare. All three are very different shows offering different strengths 

im really happy all three are playing

im a big Kelli Ohara supporter too but I think the role for Kristin in ottc is a role of a lifetime and absolutely a perfect showcase for every one of her gifts

(read somewhere she has been supporting this revival happening for nearly a decade)

i