tombomb31
#1American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:07pm

Exactly how obstructed is the view?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#2American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:09pm

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing they're incredibly obstructed. If you are eligible for TodayTix, I would recommend that. The American Airlines is such a small theater, the tickets are a steal for only $25.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#2American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:11pm

I think n2nbaby means Hiptix! Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I also remember reading an existing thread on this topic with some extensive responses regarding the view points of the AA Theatre. Try searching and see if you find anything. Wish I could be of more help, but I've never sat there! Or, hopefully someone can weigh in as of recently and in terms of OTTC.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#3American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:44pm

I personally have never had a problem with the box seats. From my perspective, all they obstruct is the far left or the far right of the stage (depending on where you sit), but, it's really up to individual preference.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#4American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:56pm

Last Sunday I sat in row 4 in the seat the furthest to my right. The box was just to my right on the other side of a piece of plexiglass.

I could see fine because the theater had been designed so that my line of vision was always inside the wall of the stage. There was no place anyone could go on the stage that would take them out of my sight.

The box, on the other hand, was too far to the right to escape the obstruction of the stage wall when something was going on nearly all the way stage left in the rear half of the stage. (Hope I'm using the right terminology. By stage left I mean to the actors' left as they face the audience.)

There were about three people in the box who I don't think had tickets for the box (if they sell tickets for the box). They had moved down to check it out, since it was very close to the stage. They were pretty pleased with it and stayed there.

The key, though, is to place your movable chair as far left as possible against the plexiglass. Then judging from what I heard them say, (so this is hearsay evidence) the obstruction was minor. But as your chair moved to the right away from the wall the obstruction grew pretty quickly since they were so close to the stage.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#5American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:24am

When we saw VIOLET, we sat in the house right boxes on orchestra level and while the view was at an angle, it was still a decent view and we were very close to the stage... I was willing to make the sacrifice of sitting at an angle on that first level.

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#6American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:39am

Since its such a small theatre I dont think it should be any problem. I didn't sit in the box seats there, but I sat last row of the balcony for Violet and I couldn't believe how amazing the view was!

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

cbcgirl4life
#7American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 8:03am

I sat in a box seat for Violet and had no problem, but I was in the last chair closest to the regular audience. The people who I was with who were further from the audience, however, did not have an easy time watching. Very far stage left was hard to see but wasn't a problem for that show and I was twenty feet from Sutton Foster for maybe $40 so I had good night!

cbcgirl4life
#8American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 8:03am

I sat in a box seat for Violet and had no problem, but I was in the last chair closest to the regular audience. The people who I was with who were further from the audience, however, did not have an easy time watching. Very far stage left was hard to see but wasn't a problem for that show and I was twenty feet from Sutton Foster for maybe $40 so I had good night!

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#9American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 9:09am

I sat in the box seats Sunday afternoon for On the 20th Century. Anything that is on the far side of the stage you are sitting on is obstructed. But the view of the far side of the stage on the opposite side is a great view. I paid very little for the seats (and they were the last tickets available). I went to the restroom and saw the view from the back of the balcony, the last row of the balcony has a great view of the stage.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#10American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 11:42am

FYI: there is no balcony in this theatre. Only a mezzanine. Just clearing up as to not confuse anyone purchasing tickets :)

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#11American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:52pm

I sat in box seats for Violet. I was sort of selfish and chose the row furthest back and the seat closest to the audience, while my non-theater loving friends were in the first rows. It really wasn't bad, though I think I might have miss one or two pieces of action that occurred far on stage left. But I swear Sutton looked up at me specifically a few times because we were so close to the stage. I mean I know she wasn't, but it still felt awesome.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#12American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 1:54pm

Greased Lighting is right--there are only two levels in the theater.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#13American Airlines Theatre Box Seats
Posted: 3/18/15 at 3:03pm

Whoops! I did mean HipTix. I just read the TodayTix thread and my mind was on that. I was a bit tired. :P