Fun Home Previews

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#150Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 11:42am

I also find shouting (or screeching "Woo!") to be incredibly out of place, but I've become more accustomed to it due to the regularity with which it occurs. I'm not saying it's at all appropriate, though. I don't believe it is, and I also find it to be self-indulgent. Personally, anything other than clapping takes me out of the moment.

During the curtain call is the only time where it doesn't bother me given that the show has concluded. The work no longer requires my attention beyond giving the actors on stage the appreciation they deserve.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#151Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:40pm

Are you saying that La LuPone didn't deserve the thundering "Bravo/As" after her final "With One Look" And "As If We Never Said Goodbye"!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#152Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:49pm

Please point me to where I mentioned whether or not actors deserve "thundering 'bravo/As." All I spoke to was the way I view that practice as an audience member and how it affects MY experience.
Updated On: 3/30/15 at 12:49 PM

mamaleh
#153Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:57pm

Was going to skip this mounting as I'd seen and loved the show at the Public. But since the consensus seems to be that the new staging makes it even better, I'm curious to see how so. To those who have seen it at Circle in the Square: What is the best section from which to view this production?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#154Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:59pm

I heard there was standing room at last night's performance. Did anyone here avail themselves of that?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#155Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:06pm

The 200s probably offer the best...and pretty much any seat in them. I was in the 100s and there was a moment or two I was like, 'MOVE THE F*CKING DOOR' but 99.1% of the sightlines were wonderful.

God, that was a specific percentage.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#156Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:12pm

There was standing room on Saturday night. I noticed about ten people standing. The two seats directly in front of me were vacant; however, I didn't notice any other empty seats.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#157Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:42pm

The 5 people standing last night seemed to be friends of the production. The box office made no mention of SRO when they said the performance was sold out to many people who asked.

I sat in the 100's last night, Row H. I was "house left," from the POV of walking into the auditorium.
Seating wise, I concluded last night that I think either "house right" in the 100's or 200's would be the best vantage point.

OK. So, my thoughts.
This production is simply sublime. The staging is as fluid as the storytelling, immersive and innovative. The lighting, set, and movement (and the performances) of the actors was masterful. Every movement of any object, light, or person is thoughtfully crafted - like a puzzle coming together piece by piece.

Everything about this production is so genuine. The actor's aren't acting. They are the Bechdel family.

The show, in a way has been downsized since the public - only 1 coffin, no walls, no diner booth, etc...but everything they got rid of has been replaced with something better, and then some!

The lighting and staging of "Come To The Fun Home," and "Raincoat of Love," are indulgent and grand, yet the simplicity of "Changing My Major," "Ring Of Keys," "Days and Days," and "Edges Of The World," create such masterful moments that draw the audience in. They don't need anything grand.

Perhaps my favorite thing about this transfer, is the fact I feel the show flows so much better in this space, with these new little changes they've made, both script wise and physically. I didn't check my watch once, and the 110 minutes FLEW by. At the Public, I remember wandering during the scenes before "Ring Of Keys," but this time I was so purely drawn in and engrossed.

I don't think there is anything negative to say about this production. Except for the fact that it doesn't immediately start over after the curtain call.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#158Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:48pm

Thanks to all who have shared for taking the time to write such thorough reviews.

And I kinda don't mind that Al For Short was cut. It was the weakest song, imo.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#159Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:50pm

Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread (by me) Al for Short is gone. And I thought the same way....did I miss it? But nope, it's just gone.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#160Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:51pm

"Al For Short" is the one song I consistently skip when I'm listening to the cast recording. I didn't miss it one bit.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

dramamama611
#161Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:53pm

What I meant was, in retrospect, when I was listening the the recording I thought perhaps I missed it in the performance, like I zoned out during it. I did not miss its existence.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SonofRobbieJ
#162Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:08pm

It's a cute song...but letting Ring of Keys be the true discovery of self makes for an even more powerful moment. I agree that it's not a loss.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#163Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:13pm

I really need to stop reading this thread- since the lottery is really the only affordable way for me to see this at the moment, I don't know when I'm gonna get there but I'm dying to.

Then again, I did just get my tax refund...

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#164Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 3:54pm

I've never been to the Circle in the Square. Do the $75 seats (400) offer a decent view?

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

mamaleh
#165Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 3:57pm

Thanks, all, for your optimal seating recommendations.

SonofRobbieJ
#166Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:31pm

I think the 400s should be fine...though there were a few moments that I thought they'd be getting a lot of back. But I don't know if that's necessarily true. And there is one pivotal moment I'd actually love to view from the 400 sections.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#167Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:33pm

I sat in the 400s and thought the view was fantastic!

SonofRobbieJ
#168Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:35pm

^ There ya go!

SPOILER

I loved the view I had of Bruce being hit by the truck...but I bet the 400 view is chilling as well.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#169Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:40pm

SPOILER

Yes, Robbie, it really was chilling. I'm having a bit of a visceral reaction just thinking about it now. The "Telephone Wire" sequence was also particularly stunning and I almost felt like I was in the backseat of the car with them (or in the car next to them)

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#170Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:50pm

Presently back up on TDF — two dates this week.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#171Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 7:01pm

*Mild spoilers regarding set*

I sat in the front row (Row A), seat 211 and would sit there again. The seat is right behind the couch in the beginning and some parts of the show, but the blocking is so nicely done it doesn't really get in the way of enjoying the story.

There are also scenes where there is a single chair in front of you which could potentially get in the way if there's anything happening "upstage" (towards the orchestra), but again, the action is flowing enough to prevent it from being a real blocker for extended periods of time.

The seat is absolutely fantastic for those seeking intimacy. Some scenes take place right in front of you and I found myself constantly sitting further back in my seat for the fear of tripping the actors.

**MAJOR SPOILERS**
The one thing that you lose being so close to the action are the cool floor lighting and trap door effects. One such scene involves all the trap doors giving away during Edges of the World - an amazing visual effect - which I imagine would have been easier to see if you were sitting further back and thus higher in elevation. I still enjoyed this a lot, but it's harder to see when you're down on the floor.

Whatever the case, it doesn't seem like there's any real problem seats in the house. Like many have mentioned before me, the blocking is really well done that no one direction has superiority when it comes to enjoying the show.

I can't help thinking about this show!!!

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#172Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 9:28pm

We saw the show last night--first time, but we'd had listened to cast recording--it was breathtaking and heartbreaking! We sat in the 200s, midsection to the left. They did such a great job giving everyone a view of the action, but Sonofrobie--I wondered how some people might be blocked by that door!

dramamama611
#173Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:57am

I would think there us a minimum of people affected by the door, and it is there so infrequently that it effects so little.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#174Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 3:10am

Where's the door situated? In front of the 100's section?

Videos